Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 68

Re: Rhoads goes in-depth on recruiting

You lose all validity by saying 'program killing', and bringing up the intro music! Seriously, the intro music and all of that makes no difference whatsoever. The program and all the improvements being done, etc. looks pretty damn healthy to me. The sold out parking lots, etc. look pretty good to me. Maybe you're the vocal vast minority who needs something to ***** about everyday.

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    1. Nobody else wanted the job, trust me on this one.
    2. Klenakis had the pedigree, didn't work out
    3.Whatever
    4. Rebuilding happens at every program, Iowa 2012, like it or not they have a better program than us and had a much easier schedule than we did last year that year.
    5. Best record in the 1st 5 years of any coach in ISU history
    6. Baylor and KSU have less tradition than us? Really might want to check the history books. KSU has been good with Snyder for a while now. And yes it can be done here I agree.
    7. Opinions of sports writers don't mean dick, when weren't we picked to finish near the bottom in the last 100 years
    8. no excuse for UNI last year.
    Ok, you mean to tell me that after the debacle that was Gene Chizik CPR managed to hire a hot up and coming coach (Herman) and then after he uses ISU as a stepping stone to OHIO STATE nobody wanted the job? After coming off 2 bowl games in 3 years? After all the momentum the program was buidling? Nobody?? I don't buy that for one second. CPR just got Mark Mangino to coach and the program is on MUCH shakier ground today than it was in 2012..by a long shot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 965

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Ok, you mean to tell me that after the debacle that was Gene Chizik CPR managed to hire a hot up and coming coach (Herman) and then after he uses ISU as a stepping stone to OHIO STATE nobody wanted the job? After coming off 2 bowl games in 3 years? After all the momentum the program was buidling? Nobody?? I don't buy that for one second. CPR just got Mark Mangino to coach and the program is on MUCH shakier ground today than it was in 2012..by a long shot.
    Buy what you want, Tom Herman is considered to be a high quality offensive coordinator and he failed at ISU that's what potential guys were seeing. Just the facts.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 171

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    #1 & 2--This is all bs. You have the luxury of hindsight to judge his mistakes. You, I and nobody else knew how Messingham, Kleinakis or any of the other coaching hires he made would work out at the time they were made.

#3--who ******* cares? He's the head coach, he doesn't need to be on twitter. Most of his assistants who do the bulk of the recruiting are on twitter. This has got to be one of the dumbest complaints to make the rounds lately. Really, REALLY reaching with it.

#4--that is your judgement, there is no written or unwritten rule about when a bad season should or shouldn't happen. See: Iowa in 2012. Florida last year. Texas in 2010. And so on and so on.

#5--How long have you been an ISU football fan?

#6--If you can't understand the difference between those 2 programs and ISU's circumstances, you should just start following one of them instead.

#7--Like every other year the last 4 decades.

#8--Your idol bill snyder lost to NDSU in year 400 or whatever century he is in now.

Who is putting their head in the sand? Just because some of us choose to be optimistic and not dwell on one bad season doesn't mean we are ignoring what happened last year. It's just that some of us can take the season in context of the bigger picture and decide not to jump off the cliff because of it. If you can't weather a bad season every so often, you are following the wrong team.
    He doesn't need hindsight to judge the Messingham hire. Lots of people thought that was a bad hire as soon as it happened.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 167

Quote Originally Posted by ISU42 View Post
    He doesn't need hindsight to judge the Messingham hire. Lots of people thought that was a bad hire as soon as it happened.
    I wasn't a big fan of it either, but we weren't absolutely terrible in his first year. The hiring of Kleinakis, at the time, looked like a solid hire too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 171

Agree on Kleinakis.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 395

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    1. Nobody else wanted the job, trust me on this one.
    2. Klenakis had the pedigree, didn't work out
    3.Whatever
    4. Rebuilding happens at every program, Iowa 2012, like it or not they have a better program than us and had a much easier schedule than we did last year that year.
    5. Best record in the 1st 5 years of any coach in ISU history
    6. Baylor and KSU have less tradition than us? Really might want to check the history books. KSU has been good with Snyder for a while now. And yes it can be done here I agree.
    7. Opinions of sports writers don't mean dick, when weren't we picked to finish near the bottom in the last 100 years
    8. no excuse for UNI last year.
    Not a bad rebuttal, but the bottom line we are still young and inexperienced and are expected to win only four games. We have watched for five years and that is a fair assessment.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 79

"Just because some of us choose to be optimistic and not dwell on one bad season doesn't mean we are ignoring what happened last year. It's just that some of us can take the season in context of the bigger picture and decide not to jump off the cliff because of it. If you can't weather a bad season every so often, you are following the wrong team."

I don't know if he's calling the program a dumpster fire. Just that he isn't excited about this coming season and that IF (and I don't think anybody wants this) CPR goes 2-10, 3-9 this season he should be on the hot seat.

Personally, I'll start getting excited when we find a QB who can hit an open receiver. Too many open receivers were missed last year and in the spring game IMO

Rookie
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

Thanks cyclonevet for your post. While I disagree that CPR could not find anyone better than Messingham the rest of your points are spot on.

Addict
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,020
    Given: 500

Someone should bring up McCarney...that'd really add something to this discussion....

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,227
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 635
    Given: 357

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Someone should bring up McCarney...that'd really add something to this discussion....

Can we debate Mac's uniform choices? The white face mask and disco pant stripes were grounds for termination

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 167

Is Danny Mac on twitter?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Is Danny Mac on twitter?
    @NoDoubtAboutIt

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 126

I think there are plenty of kids from this state that could become great defensive lineman. The problem is finding someone that is ambitious at the age of 17/18 years, with Big 12 work ethic, intelligence, integrity. Finding that all wrapped into a 6'4'' frame is difficult not even considering the other difficulties we already have with recruiting here.

I agree with Rhoads when he claims 'getting parents to the campus' will make a difference in recruiting. ISU was rated #3 most beautiful campus when I was in school. Combine that with the academics and the great facilities that they have there now, shouldn't be hard to get more kids on board. Especially for kids that have a tendency to get 'distracted' or 'big headed' because this town offers far less opportunities for those sorts of issues.

I'm no super veteran of this football program, but I have been watching for nearly 25 years now, and I can tell all the people with a harsh opinion of Rhoads that we are truly blessed to have someone like him here. Same goes for Pollard. Look at what they have accomplished while they have been here for the program. No we aren't winning as much as we would like to be, but what's new? There is no way that we can become worse with all the improvements we are making. It will come, and there's a reason Pollard signed Rhoads to his contract for so long, because he doesn't want another Chizik situation. Rhoads could easily be gone to another D1 program if he chose to be.

Rookie
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Not a bad rebuttal, but the bottom line we are still young and inexperienced and are expected to win only four games. We have watched for five years and that is a fair assessment.
    There has to be some potential shown this year. Signs of progress and development of CPR's recruits in the weight room and from coaching on the practice field have to be there. You can't have back to back debacles in year 5 and year 6 of your regime. My hunch is we see some positive surprises on defense. Offense could be special if QB position solidifies. I still haven't forgotten those good road wins at Texas, TT, TCU and Nebby. OSU win is ancient history, but still resonates. CPR still has "it" factor in my eyes. I think he and his team deliver above expectations this year.