Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11

Re: Frat vs. Dorms

Really it's just if you want to choose your own friends or have them given to you. Both Greeks and non Greeks can get good grades and volunteer if they want to. I went the non Greek route and love it but if for some reason my friends decided we should call ourselves the Gamma G's I don't think it would make us bad people.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,347
    Given: 1,027

Mods need to put some of you on double secret probation. You are finished! No more cf!

Prospect
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 3

I graduated from vet school, so I was a student in Ames for 8 years. I lived for 1.5 years in the dorms, 2.5 years in a fraternity, 2 years off campus (close to campus) and 2 years off campus (far from campus). I enjoyed them all and benefited from all in different ways.

Guys in our house were a pretty normal sample of guys at that age. Although some did tan and january and get every piece of ***** they could, that was the exception not the rule (and I knew those same guys in the dorms). The stereotypes are pretty comical and I always got some good natured ribbing from non-greek friends....but some people have a weird obsession or inferiority complex regarding this (see people who have posted multiple times in this thread).

Good opportunity for leadership, running an organization, time management,and yes....meeting chicks ( I met my wife and mother of 3 kids!). As far as buying friends....it was considerably cheaper than the dorms.

If your son is not lazy and has a good moral foundation he'll be fine in dorms, frat, or off campus.

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CYF5 View Post
    I graduated from vet school, so I was a student in Ames for 8 years. I lived for 1.5 years in the dorms, 2.5 years in a fraternity, 2 years off campus (close to campus) and 2 years off campus (far from campus). I enjoyed them all and benefited from all in different ways.

Guys in our house were a pretty normal sample of guys at that age. Although some did tan and january and get every piece of ***** they could, that was the exception not the rule (and I knew those same guys in the dorms). The stereotypes are pretty comical and I always got some good natured ribbing from non-greek friends....but some people have a weird obsession or inferiority complex regarding this (see people who have posted multiple times in this thread).

Good opportunity for leadership, running an organization, time management,and yes....meeting chicks ( I met my wife and mother of 3 kids!). As far as buying friends....it was considerably cheaper than the dorms.

If your son is not lazy and has a good moral foundation he'll be fine in dorms, frat, or off campus.
    Best advice yet.

Addict
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 877
    Given: 589

If your son like to call everyone "bro" or "bra" he will fit right into a frat.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 31

I was in a fraternity at ISU for 2.5 years. For a while it was fun, but when you have 3 or 4 dbags that ruin everything to the point where I wanted to move out and decided to, it did make me realize that you do buy friends in a fraternity (since only two people out of 45 decided to still hang out with me). Maybe I joined the wrong one at ISU, but the system sucked for me. I did get hazed a boatload, too.

Prospect
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 154

This whole "buying your friends" argument is such ********. First of all, it is a completely ignorant statement to say that living in a fraternity is more expensive than living in the dorms. The facts just do not back it up.

And second, why does someone live in a dorm for their first year of college? It can't be because it's cheaper. Maybe its because you want to surround yourself with people who are also freshman like you and so that you can meet people. Something which you can't really do living in an apartment off campus, or at least not very easily.

Same with any other club too. Are there not dues for the paintball club or waterski club? I guess you're paying for your friends then!

Legend
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,471
    Given: 707

Quote Originally Posted by leschmick1785 View Post
    This whole "buying your friends" argument is such ********. First of all, it is a completely ignorant statement to say that living in a fraternity is more expensive than living in the dorms. The facts just do not back it up.

And second, why does someone live in a dorm for their first year of college? It can't be because it's cheaper. Maybe its because you want to surround yourself with people who are also freshman like you and so that you can meet people. Something which you can't really do living in an apartment off campus, or at least not very easily.

Same with any other club too. Are there not dues for the paintball club or waterski club? I guess you're paying for your friends then!
    You join paintball club and waterski club because you enjoy paintballing and waterskiing. So yes, you may make friends who enjoy the same hobbies.

RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD HATE CLUB OFFICIAL MEMBER

Prospect
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Everybody keeps throwing out these stereotypes and extreme incidents of "frat boy culture". While I won't deny that this stuff does happen, albeit by a*holes that fall into the minority of Greek students, people are certainly more inclined to remember these one off extreme incidents as opposed to the countless things that Greek houses bring to a campus. For instance, I'm sure very few people know that Iowa State's largest student run philanthropy was originally brought to campus by a group of guys in a fraternity, and over 60% of the presidents of that organization have come from the same fraternity over its 18 year existence. This philanthropy has raised ~$5mn for charity.

Also, speaking from a financial standpoint, the money you pay to a fraternity is equivalent to joining any other club on campus, with the additional cost of living in the chapter facility. For instance, part of my dues this year were allocated to buying a tent, grill, and other supplies we used to start camping for basketball games.

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 577
    Given: 983

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    If your son like to call everyone "bro" or "bra" he will fit right into a frat.
    whatever you say, brah.

Category 3 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

Talk to ISUCubsWin for Category 4
    Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5
    Talk to mjacobs for Category XXX

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 16

I'll be a freshman next year. I got recruited by a ton of frats for some reason they had my phone number. Told them all to suck one. Really good advice I know.

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    My son was recruited by a fraternity last night. He has to make his mind up by August 1st. Need some positives and negatives on both. PM me if you don't want to start a war over my concerns. He is a freshman this fall.
    So, does he have an inclination either way? Seems like there's no wrong answer and neither requires a contract signed in blood...

I never did either but after reading this thread it's clear that typically when people went with their gut they were happy with the result.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

I lived in a Fraternity and some of my best friends are guys from that place. Not everything was perfect, but it rarely is anywhere you end up.

I don't care for the pressure technique the place is using on the original posters son and would be wary of that. I remember going through the Greek Week thing to find a place to live and looking back think that was a silly way to make a big decision like that. I was very lucky to end up at as good a place as I did. One of the posters here suggested living in the Dorm's for a year and spending more time getting to know the Fraternity's and I think that's a great idea.

Last edited by Bobber; 07-25-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 334

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    And by glean knowledge you mean have them give you all of their old homework and tests.
    Nope. I think the whole tests and homework thing is blown out of proportion. I was just able to meet some really good friends that are older than me. They gave me advice about school in general, what courses and professors to avoid or look into, what clubs on campus were worth joining, interviewing tips, networking, etc. It also helped seeing the work ethic that older guys had to put in for their upper level courses.

Addict
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,198
    Given: 331

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    One of the posters here suggested living in the Dorm's for a year and spending more time getting to know the Fraternity's and I think that's a great idea.
    I think this is the common theme from the reasonable people on here. Don't rush (no pun intended) to join a fraternity as a freshman. You might as well take your time to feel them out and see what is the best fit before you make a decision.