Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,300
    Given: 735

Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I'll bit on curiosity: Does he genuinely believe this, or throwing it out as the classic scare tactic to say "Don't mess with what we're already doing?"

Bold statements like this sound fishy to me.
    My guess is it's a scare tactic, sort of like how Jim Delany (Big Ten commissioner) will say things like "the future of the Big Ten might be a lot like the Ivy League, with a re-emphasis on academics over athletics". That's basically code for "support the status quo (which has been very lucrative for us) or your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes might go the way of the Yale Bulldogs and fade from relevance".

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    My guess is it's a scare tactic, sort of like how Jim Delany (Big Ten commissioner) will say things like "the future of the Big Ten might be a lot like the Ivy League, with a re-emphasis on academics over athletics". That's basically code for "support the status quo (which has been very lucrative for us) or your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes might go the way of the Yale Bulldogs and fade from relevance".

People say college football is a business. Well all I know is lots of business file bankruptcy or layoff employees to try and stay afloat. He is right, it is not a sustainable model, and things are gonna need to be cut. Be it non revenue sports or even academic needs. I don't think he is just blowing smoke here.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,124
    Given: 1,783

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    That's exactly what it is. It's a guy cashing in on the status quo who represents people cashing in even more saying that times will be rough for college students in olympic sports if there's any push to the way things are.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 155

In regard to CW's jab at baseball fans... I know that the return of baseball to Iowa State has almost no chance of happening. However, I think for universities that have baseball, it is likely the safest of all of the sports that aren't football or basketball. Ticket sales at college baseball games is pretty high, and growing at some universities. Most programs are close to self-sustaining, and some have as large or larger crowds than minor league teams. The very fact that baseball teams can actually generate ticket sales puts it one step above the rest of the men's college Olympic sports.

Legend
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,061
    Given: 851

Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    In regard to CW's jab at baseball fans... I know that the return of baseball to Iowa State has almost no chance of happening. However, I think for universities that have baseball, it is likely the safest of all of the sports that aren't football or basketball. Ticket sales at college baseball games is pretty high, and growing at some universities. Most programs are close to self-sustaining, and some have as large or larger crowds than minor league teams. The very fact that baseball teams can actually generate ticket sales puts it one step above the rest of the men's college Olympic sports.
    Outside of possibly the women's basketball tournament, CWS is easily the most visible college sports competition on TV and in the media. I happened to be traveling through Tennessee near the beginning of CWS and was surprised how amped up they were about college baseball, before Vandy won it but they obviously knew they had a shot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,300
    Given: 735

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Outside of possibly the women's basketball tournament, CWS is easily the most visible college sports competition on TV and in the media. I happened to be traveling through Tennessee near the beginning of CWS and was surprised how amped up they were about college baseball, before Vandy won it but they obviously knew they had a shot.
    I think there's a huge difference in enthusiasm for college baseball in the SEC compared to the rest of the country. I've read that people are nuts about it in the South, but mostly apathetic elsewhere.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 627
    Given: 347

Wasn't baseball kicked out of the Olympics?

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    And the CWS is freakin awesome

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 365

Its not that universities couldn't support non-revenue sports. Its that they will choose to not support them. They would have the money to support non-revenue teams if that was a priority. Instead, they will continue to pay their coaches multi-millions every year. They will build bigger and fancier facilities.

Guess I see this as the consequence for the huge money grab the past few years with conference realignment, etc. You guys (athletic directors, college presidents, and conference commissioners) made this bed, now you have to lie in it.

And let's be honest... The loss of a non-revenue sport really doesn't impact very many fans or supporters of the university. When ISU cut baseball, very few people cared. And now, even fewer care that it is gone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 155

Quote Originally Posted by KnappShack View Post
    Wasn't baseball kicked out of the Olympics?
    Yes, because there wasn't any parity among the (few) countries that fielded teams. Basically the US won every year with Japan a close second. This was also in the middle of the steroid era so that didn't help the case either.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 827

Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    I wonder if there are any special rules for the female official.
    She's not allowed to use the urinal? I'm not following you.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 790
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 110

Yes, because there wasn't any parity among the (few) countries that fielded teams. Basically the US won every year with Japan a close second. This was also in the middle of the steroid era so that didn't help the case either.
    Not sure where you came up with that, but baseball was an official Olympic sport for only 5 summer games, starting in 92, ending in 2008.

Cuba - 3G, 2S
    USA - 1G, 2B
    Japan - 1S, 2B
    South Korea - 1G, 1B
    Australia - 1S
    Chinese Taipei - 1S

In 1984, it was an exhibition at the Olympics, with Japan defeating USA in the finals. In 1988, with it being a demonstration sport at the Olympics, USA returned the favor, defeating Japan in the finals.

Amateurs were required in 92 and 96, with Cuba winning gold both years (USA bronze in 96). 2000 dropped the amateur requirement, and USA won the gold over Cuba.

USA did not medal in 2004 (Cuba won gold), and only managed bronze in 2008 (gold to S. Korea).

Addict
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,972
    Given: 493

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Not sure where you came up with that, but baseball was an official Olympic sport for only 5 summer games, starting in 92, ending in 2008.

Cuba - 3G, 2S
    USA - 1G, 2B
    Japan - 1S, 2B
    South Korea - 1G, 1B
    Australia - 1S
    Chinese Taipei - 1S

In 1984, it was an exhibition at the Olympics, with Japan defeating USA in the finals. In 1988, with it being a demonstration sport at the Olympics, USA returned the favor, defeating Japan in the finals.

Amateurs were required in 92 and 96, with Cuba winning gold both years (USA bronze in 96). 2000 dropped the amateur requirement, and USA won the gold over Cuba.

USA did not medal in 2004 (Cuba won gold), and only managed bronze in 2008 (gold to S. Korea).

Insert facepalm gif here

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 21

Don't think so on self-sustaining. K-State's baseball ticket sales during their 2013 championship run were $264k. That doesn't cover the head coach's salary, much less the rest of operations and scholarships.

Prospect
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Having grown up in Ames in the 1970's ISU men's gymnastics teams under Ed Gagnier drew many more people than the baseball team did. Keep in mind most college baseball games will be played in early spring weather - not to pleasant to be seating outside. Gagnier's gymnastic teams were always extremely good. In the 70's football, basketball, wrestling and gymnastics were all better attended than baseball.