Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 83,419, Level: 89
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    4,905
    Points
    83,419
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,460
    Given: 2,689

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I'll bit on curiosity: Does he genuinely believe this, or throwing it out as the classic scare tactic to say "Don't mess with what we're already doing?"

    Bold statements like this sound fishy to me.
    My guess is it's a scare tactic, sort of like how Jim Delany (Big Ten commissioner) will say things like "the future of the Big Ten might be a lot like the Ivy League, with a re-emphasis on academics over athletics". That's basically code for "support the status quo (which has been very lucrative for us) or your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes might go the way of the Yale Bulldogs and fade from relevance".



  2. #17
    Pro
    Points: 22,846, Level: 46
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 704
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    fsanford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,259
    Points
    22,846
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 542
    Given: 470

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    My guess is it's a scare tactic, sort of like how Jim Delany (Big Ten commissioner) will say things like "the future of the Big Ten might be a lot like the Ivy League, with a re-emphasis on academics over athletics". That's basically code for "support the status quo (which has been very lucrative for us) or your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes might go the way of the Yale Bulldogs and fade from relevance".
    .

    People say college football is a business. Well all I know is lots of business file bankruptcy or layoff employees to try and stay afloat. He is right, it is not a sustainable model, and things are gonna need to be cut. Be it non revenue sports or even academic needs. I don't think he is just blowing smoke here.



  3. #18
    Speechless
    Points: 945,329, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    64,842
    Points
    945,329
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,194
    Given: 7,027

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    My guess is it's a scare tactic, sort of like how Jim Delany (Big Ten commissioner) will say things like "the future of the Big Ten might be a lot like the Ivy League, with a re-emphasis on academics over athletics". That's basically code for "support the status quo (which has been very lucrative for us) or your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes might go the way of the Yale Bulldogs and fade from relevance".
    That's exactly what it is. It's a guy cashing in on the status quo who represents people cashing in even more saying that times will be rough for college students in olympic sports if there's any push to the way things are.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #19
    All-Star
    Points: 42,688, Level: 63
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    colbycheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,634
    Points
    42,688
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 283

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    In regard to CW's jab at baseball fans... I know that the return of baseball to Iowa State has almost no chance of happening. However, I think for universities that have baseball, it is likely the safest of all of the sports that aren't football or basketball. Ticket sales at college baseball games is pretty high, and growing at some universities. Most programs are close to self-sustaining, and some have as large or larger crowds than minor league teams. The very fact that baseball teams can actually generate ticket sales puts it one step above the rest of the men's college Olympic sports.


    Twitter: ColbyDigsSoil
    Clash of Clans: Colby
    Untappd: ColbyDigsSoil

  5. #20
    Speechless
    Points: 245,733, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    21,429
    Points
    245,733
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,388
    Given: 3,143

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    In regard to CW's jab at baseball fans... I know that the return of baseball to Iowa State has almost no chance of happening. However, I think for universities that have baseball, it is likely the safest of all of the sports that aren't football or basketball. Ticket sales at college baseball games is pretty high, and growing at some universities. Most programs are close to self-sustaining, and some have as large or larger crowds than minor league teams. The very fact that baseball teams can actually generate ticket sales puts it one step above the rest of the men's college Olympic sports.
    Outside of possibly the women's basketball tournament, CWS is easily the most visible college sports competition on TV and in the media. I happened to be traveling through Tennessee near the beginning of CWS and was surprised how amped up they were about college baseball, before Vandy won it but they obviously knew they had a shot.



  6. #21
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 83,419, Level: 89
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    4,905
    Points
    83,419
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,460
    Given: 2,689

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Outside of possibly the women's basketball tournament, CWS is easily the most visible college sports competition on TV and in the media. I happened to be traveling through Tennessee near the beginning of CWS and was surprised how amped up they were about college baseball, before Vandy won it but they obviously knew they had a shot.
    I think there's a huge difference in enthusiasm for college baseball in the SEC compared to the rest of the country. I've read that people are nuts about it in the South, but mostly apathetic elsewhere.



  7. #22
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 50,952, Level: 69
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    KnappShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,989
    Points
    50,952
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,769
    Given: 1,160

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    In regard to CW's jab at baseball fans... I know that the return of baseball to Iowa State has almost no chance of happening. However, I think for universities that have baseball, it is likely the safest of all of the sports that aren't football or basketball. Ticket sales at college baseball games is pretty high, and growing at some universities. Most programs are close to self-sustaining, and some have as large or larger crowds than minor league teams. The very fact that baseball teams can actually generate ticket sales puts it one step above the rest of the men's college Olympic sports.
    Wasn't baseball kicked out of the Olympics?



  8. #23
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 89,280, Level: 92
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,768
    Points
    89,280
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,070
    Given: 462

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Outside of possibly the women's basketball tournament, CWS is easily the most visible college sports competition on TV and in the media. I happened to be traveling through Tennessee near the beginning of CWS and was surprised how amped up they were about college baseball, before Vandy won it but they obviously knew they had a shot.
    And the CWS is freakin awesome



  9. #24
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,050, Level: 74
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,569
    Points
    58,050
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 812
    Given: 801

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Its not that universities couldn't support non-revenue sports. Its that they will choose to not support them. They would have the money to support non-revenue teams if that was a priority. Instead, they will continue to pay their coaches multi-millions every year. They will build bigger and fancier facilities.

    Guess I see this as the consequence for the huge money grab the past few years with conference realignment, etc. You guys (athletic directors, college presidents, and conference commissioners) made this bed, now you have to lie in it.

    And let's be honest... The loss of a non-revenue sport really doesn't impact very many fans or supporters of the university. When ISU cut baseball, very few people cared. And now, even fewer care that it is gone.



  10. #25
    All-Star
    Points: 42,688, Level: 63
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    colbycheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,634
    Points
    42,688
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 283

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by KnappShack View Post
    Wasn't baseball kicked out of the Olympics?
    Yes, because there wasn't any parity among the (few) countries that fielded teams. Basically the US won every year with Japan a close second. This was also in the middle of the steroid era so that didn't help the case either.


    Twitter: ColbyDigsSoil
    Clash of Clans: Colby
    Untappd: ColbyDigsSoil

  11. #26
    Pro
    Points: 65,649, Level: 79
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Acylum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,183
    Points
    65,649
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 928
    Given: 2,186

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    I wonder if there are any special rules for the female official.
    She's not allowed to use the urinal? I'm not following you.


    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  12. #27
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,717, Level: 80
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,466
    Points
    67,717
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 311

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    Yes, because there wasn't any parity among the (few) countries that fielded teams. Basically the US won every year with Japan a close second. This was also in the middle of the steroid era so that didn't help the case either.
    Not sure where you came up with that, but baseball was an official Olympic sport for only 5 summer games, starting in 92, ending in 2008.

    Cuba - 3G, 2S
    USA - 1G, 2B
    Japan - 1S, 2B
    South Korea - 1G, 1B
    Australia - 1S
    Chinese Taipei - 1S

    In 1984, it was an exhibition at the Olympics, with Japan defeating USA in the finals. In 1988, with it being a demonstration sport at the Olympics, USA returned the favor, defeating Japan in the finals.

    Amateurs were required in 92 and 96, with Cuba winning gold both years (USA bronze in 96). 2000 dropped the amateur requirement, and USA won the gold over Cuba.

    USA did not medal in 2004 (Cuba won gold), and only managed bronze in 2008 (gold to S. Korea).



  13. #28
    Speechless
    Points: 405,036, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    18,498
    Points
    405,036
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,351
    Given: 1,792

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    Yes, because there wasn't any parity among the (few) countries that fielded teams. Basically the US won every year with Japan a close second. This was also in the middle of the steroid era so that didn't help the case either.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Not sure where you came up with that, but baseball was an official Olympic sport for only 5 summer games, starting in 92, ending in 2008.

    Cuba - 3G, 2S
    USA - 1G, 2B
    Japan - 1S, 2B
    South Korea - 1G, 1B
    Australia - 1S
    Chinese Taipei - 1S

    In 1984, it was an exhibition at the Olympics, with Japan defeating USA in the finals. In 1988, with it being a demonstration sport at the Olympics, USA returned the favor, defeating Japan in the finals.

    Amateurs were required in 92 and 96, with Cuba winning gold both years (USA bronze in 96). 2000 dropped the amateur requirement, and USA won the gold over Cuba.

    USA did not medal in 2004 (Cuba won gold), and only managed bronze in 2008 (gold to S. Korea).



    Insert facepalm gif here





  14. #29
    Pro
    Points: 37,403, Level: 59
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    reservation lake, mn
    Posts
    2,155
    Points
    37,403
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 164

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    In regard to CW's jab at baseball fans... I know that the return of baseball to Iowa State has almost no chance of happening. However, I think for universities that have baseball, it is likely the safest of all of the sports that aren't football or basketball. Ticket sales at college baseball games is pretty high, and growing at some universities. Most programs are close to self-sustaining, and some have as large or larger crowds than minor league teams. The very fact that baseball teams can actually generate ticket sales puts it one step above the rest of the men's college Olympic sports.

    Don't think so on self-sustaining. K-State's baseball ticket sales during their 2013 championship run were $264k. That doesn't cover the head coach's salary, much less the rest of operations and scholarships.



  15. #30
    Prospect
    Points: 6,873, Level: 24
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    54
    Points
    6,873
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 35

    Re: Bowlsby: Men's Olympic sports in jeopardy

    Having grown up in Ames in the 1970's ISU men's gymnastics teams under Ed Gagnier drew many more people than the baseball team did. Keep in mind most college baseball games will be played in early spring weather - not to pleasant to be seating outside. Gagnier's gymnastic teams were always extremely good. In the 70's football, basketball, wrestling and gymnastics were all better attended than baseball.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Texas
  • February 13, 2016
  • 07:30 PM