Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 93
  1. #76
    Addict
    Points: 119,402, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,987
    Points
    119,402
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 204

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    If Fat Jack wasn't 74 he'd still kick everyone around.
    Agree! People forget that Nicklaus also had 19 runner-up finishes in the majors - he could have easily had more than 18 titles...



  2. #77
    Addict
    Points: 180,981, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,376
    Points
    180,981
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 0

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Agree! People forget that Nicklaus also had 19 runner-up finishes in the majors - he could have easily had more than 18 titles...
    Jack is the greatest golfer in the world, and likely will keep that title forever IMO.

    However, let's not even pretend that he played against the kind of competition that Tiger is these days. There is SO much more money to be made now, thanks to Tiger, that the competition has become incredible.

    Zach Johnson played a pretty decent Open Championship this week and lost by 17 shots. There is no room for any error in today's game or else you get destroyed. Not so back in Jack's day.

    But until someone can knock him off the pedestal, he will remain the best ever.



  3. #78
    Addict
    Points: 109,125, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,440
    Points
    109,125
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 319

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Great play by great players. Still, I like the British Open better when it plays tougher. Maybe it was the nice weather.
    I didn't get to watch a ton of this week's play, but from what little I did see, it looked like the wind wasn't nearly as forceful as the British Open is used to.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  4. #79
    Pro
    Points: 35,394, Level: 57
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,450
    Points
    35,394
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 0

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Jack is the greatest golfer in the world, and likely will keep that title forever IMO.

    However, let's not even pretend that he played against the kind of competition that Tiger is these days. There is SO much more money to be made now, thanks to Tiger, that the competition has become incredible.

    Zach Johnson played a pretty decent Open Championship this week and lost by 17 shots. There is no room for any error in today's game or else you get destroyed. Not so back in Jack's day.

    But until someone can knock him off the pedestal, he will remain the best ever.
    I think there's more depth in today's game and the technology advancements has helped the golfers enhance their games. Don't short change Nicklaus and that era too much though, he had to take on a lot of high quality golfers in their prime to win majors...Arnie, Watson, Trevino, Seve, Player, Raymond Floyd among others.


    ABC - Always Be Closing

  5. #80
    Speechless
    Points: 347,787, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,483
    Points
    347,787
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 683
    Given: 89

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    I think there's more depth in today's game and the technology advancements has helped the golfers enhance their games. Don't short change Nicklaus and that era too much though, he had to take on a lot of high quality golfers in their prime to win majors...Arnie, Watson, Trevino, Seve, Player, Raymond Floyd among others.
    I think the biggest difference between the fields is that right now there are probably 100 guys who can win on a given week. In Jacks day, there was probably about 30.


    It's all snark from here on out

  6. #81
    Speechless
    Points: 347,787, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,483
    Points
    347,787
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 683
    Given: 89

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Rory is interesting. He has done some really unlikable things but at the same time, he is just so damn likable when he talks. The way he handled that Master collapse was great as well. It's really easy for me to root for him.


    It's all snark from here on out

  7. #82
    Addict
    Points: 119,402, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,987
    Points
    119,402
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 204

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    I think there's more depth in today's game and the technology advancements has helped the golfers enhance their games. Don't short change Nicklaus and that era too much though, he had to take on a lot of high quality golfers in their prime to win majors...Arnie, Watson, Trevino, Seve, Player, Raymond Floyd among others.
    Agree - maybe more "depth" today, but no Watsons, Palmers, or Trevinos like Jack had to beat to get his majors.



  8. #83
    Speechless
    Points: 347,787, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,483
    Points
    347,787
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 683
    Given: 89

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Agree - maybe more "depth" today, but no Watsons, Palmers, or Trevinos like Jack had to beat to get his majors.
    Id put Phil in that category. I would now put Rory in there and there are a lot of guys capable of playing well enough like a Sergio or Westwood. There just weren't the same amount of guys like that back then.


    It's all snark from here on out

  9. #84
    Pro
    Points: 35,394, Level: 57
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,450
    Points
    35,394
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 0

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Id put Phil in that category. I would now put Rory in there and there are a lot of guys capable of playing well enough like a Sergio or Westwood. There just weren't the same amount of guys like that back then.
    That is true now but when Woods was dominating in the 2000's he didn't face the number of elite multiple major winning players that Jack did. If he got ahead by the end of Saturday, it was over.

    I think golf is really balanced now, each major is completely up for grabs. Who knows who will win the Pga next month


    ABC - Always Be Closing

  10. #85
    Addict
    Points: 66,413, Level: 79
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,100
    Points
    66,413
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 207

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    This will probably get spun into anti-Tiger but his beginning was also in a "down" era.

    The current big names were entering the down side and he got in the heads of Ernie and Monty.

    I agree that the depth is better making for better events (at times) but the major-winning depth remains nearly the same.

    If a guy with the talent of Sergio is major-less then what are the real hopes for most of these guys?



  11. #86
    Addict
    Points: 66,413, Level: 79
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,100
    Points
    66,413
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 207

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    This. Honestly, it was 10x worse if you entered Sunday with a lead on Tiger. If you did that and then started hearing those huge roars from the crowd ahead of you, you knew Tiger was coming for you. And 15 years ago, there wasn't anyone on tour who was immune to having that get into their head 100% of the time.

    Golf is definitely a huge mental game. And Tiger's presence threw guys off mentally all the time when he was at the peak of his dominance. Today, players aren't scared of him anymore, and there are a lot of very good players. I mean ****, Fowler has only won once on tour since turning pro in 2009, and he's pretty damn good.

    Tiger's not what he used to be, but I do think he could have at least a couple more majors in him. I think if/when he gets No. 15, that'll be a very liberating feeling after being stuck on 14 for 6 years (or more, depending on when 15 comes). So I wouldn't be shocked to see him get 16 or 17, but his window for catching Jack is starting to close.

    This didn't happen but yeah.


    Last edited by Rural; 07-21-2014 at 06:55 AM.

  12. #87
    Starter
    Points: 14,800, Level: 36
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    643
    Points
    14,800
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 139

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    That is true now but when Woods was dominating in the 2000's he didn't face the number of elite multiple major winning players that Jack did. If he got ahead by the end of Saturday, it was over.

    I think golf is really balanced now, each major is completely up for grabs. Who knows who will win the Pga next month
    Els, Singh, Faldo, Michelson, McIlroy, Harrington, Furyk. Hell, McIlroy could end up being a top 5 all time player by the time he is done. There's a couple other guys playing right now who could end up winning 3 or more majors with Oosthuizen, Watson, Spieth, Kaymer, McDowell, Schwartzel......



  13. #88
    Addict
    Points: 109,125, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,440
    Points
    109,125
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 319

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    This will probably get spun into anti-Tiger but his beginning was also in a "down" era.

    The current big names were entering the down side and he got in the heads of Ernie and Monty.

    I agree that the depth is better making for better events (at times) but the major-winning depth remains nearly the same.

    If a guy with the talent of Sergio is major-less then what are the real hopes for most of these guys?
    I'm not sure I see how this really supports your point. The fact that a guy as good as Sergio still hasn't won a major says an awful lot about the guys who HAVE been winning majors.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  14. #89
    Addict
    Points: 73,781, Level: 84
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,069
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,538
    Points
    73,781
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 71

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Comparing jack to tiger is like babe Ruth vs Miguel Cabrera.......different eras make it impossible.

    Guys in the past didn't work out, guys today take drugs and work out. Yes tiger has been questioned a number of times about PED use.

    Jack was the best of his generation, tiger was the best during his window. Now we will see if Rory or speith can do something the next 15 yrs



  15. #90
    Addict
    Points: 66,413, Level: 79
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,100
    Points
    66,413
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 207

    Re: ***OFFICIAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP DISCUSSION***

    Quote Originally Posted by isutrevman View Post
    Els, Singh, Faldo, Michelson, McIlroy, Harrington, Furyk. Hell, McIlroy could end up being a top 5 all time player by the time he is done. There's a couple other guys playing right now who could end up winning 3 or more majors with Oosthuizen, Watson, Spieth, Kaymer, McDowell, Schwartzel......

    One of these does not belong, at least yet.

    If Graham Dalaet doesn't miss a one foot putt Speith has zero wins, let alone majors.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM