Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 304

Re: Memphis to hire dad of 3 elite basketball recruits

Quote Originally Posted by QCCyclone View Post
    Yeah, it definitely looks a little bit shady but I don't have a huge issue with it. The guy has a good track record and was being looked at by other schools already.
    That wouldn't make Memphis hiring him any less sleazy, since said other schools were likely after him for the same reason as Memphis was.

But, at least this is a justifiable hire even if you pretend he doesn't have 3 elite recruits living under his roof.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I remember a HS football coach in Arkansas that alot of people thought was only hired because he had good recruits playing for him... That worked out alrght. This guy seems perfectly qualified for the position. I have no issues at all with it.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 288

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    What a terrible move by the dad. Using your kids to further your own career. As a father, I would think your primary goal would be to help your kids make the best decision for the basketball and personal futures. Now, you've put pressure on them to go to Memphis. I guess this isn't the first time a parent has used their children to advance their own career and fatten up their own wallet.
    There a plenty of benefits to being a coaches kid that his will get to enjoy. Should he not be a coach just bc he has kids who are athletes? Maybe having a better job will improve his kids lives? I really don't see anything wrong with this situation at all. You're basically saying its shady for ANY kid to play for a team their dad coaches .

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 304

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I remember a HS football coach in Arkansas that alot of people thought was only hired because he had good recruits playing for him... That worked out alrght. This guy seems perfectly qualified for the position. I have no issues at all with it.
    Well, not for Arkansas. Worked for Auburn, though.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Well, not for Arkansas. Worked for Auburn, though.
    I just meant that he was the best coaching talent on that Arkansas staff!

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    There a plenty of benefits to being a coaches kid that his will get to enjoy. Should he not be a coach just bc he has kids who are athletes? Maybe having a better job will improve his kids lives? I really don't see anything wrong with this situation at all. You're basically saying its shady for ANY kid to play for a team their dad coaches .
    Not at all. It was fine for Doug to play for Greg. Greg was an established coach who was hired at Creighton due to his merits (wow, that was hard to type). There are other instances of the same thing...the McCollum kid at Detroit, the Hunter kid at Georgia State. None of those kids' dads were hired at their respective schools BECAUSE of their kids' athletic ability.

I think it's incredibly dull for anyone, with these kids' dad included, to think he was hired due to his credentials. Sure, he was a high school coach and a player, but you don't make that jump ordinarily. He was hired because his kids are elite recruits, which is fine, but it will put a great deal of pressure on these kids to go play at Memphis. As a father, I'd like to think you'd put your kids dreams before your own and help them pick the school that best fits their skills and abilities. By taking this job, you've essentially made that choice for them.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 3

In Memphis' defense (a little), the oldest son had already committed. The dad basically said "hire me and get all of my sons or don't hire me and my oldest goes elsewhere". So they had the opportunity and took advantage of it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...hing-candidate

"If [a college] hires a second or third assistant, what can they bring to the table?" Lawson said. "If you hire me, I'm automatically bringing you top-20 players in the country.Automatically. There are coaches sitting on benches right now who can't do that."

Yes, K.J. Lawson committed to Josh Pastner's Memphis Tigers last October. But Keelon Lawson indicated that would change if he lands a college job outside of Memphis.
    "With loyalty to Josh, I would ask K.J., 'Would you want to stay [with Memphis] or would you want to go with me and Dedric?'" Keelon Lawson said. "But with us being a close-knit family, you know what the answer would be. He would say, 'Dad, I'm going with you.' So, of course, K.J. would go with me, and then Dedric, and then Chandler."
    Translation: The school that hires Keelon Lawson will get three possible McDonald's All-Americans in a five-year span. That's the simplest way to describe this situation.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,639
    Given: 2,104

There was another thread on this previously, but my concerns for the kids are still relevant.

Will they have the opportunity to play where THEY want to play, or will they be pressured to play for Memphis?

Will they be accepted on their merits by their teammates, or will they always be "the coach's kids"?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

FWIW - if any of the next-gen Hoiburgs play at the next level, I believe CFH will support them wherever they choose to play. He has always given the impression of family first. I hope this father in Memphis does the same by his kids.

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,288
    Given: 1,482

Quote Originally Posted by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s View Post
    In Memphis' defense (a little), the oldest son had already committed. The dad basically said "hire me and get all of my sons or don't hire me and my oldest goes elsewhere". So they had the opportunity and took advantage of it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...hing-candidate

"If [a college] hires a second or third assistant, what can they bring to the table?" Lawson said. "If you hire me, I'm automatically bringing you top-20 players in the country.Automatically. There are coaches sitting on benches right now who can't do that."

Yes, K.J. Lawson committed to Josh Pastner's Memphis Tigers last October. But Keelon Lawson indicated that would change if he lands a college job outside of Memphis.
    "With loyalty to Josh, I would ask K.J., 'Would you want to stay [with Memphis] or would you want to go with me and Dedric?'" Keelon Lawson said. "But with us being a close-knit family, you know what the answer would be. He would say, 'Dad, I'm going with you.' So, of course, K.J. would go with me, and then Dedric, and then Chandler."
    Translation: The school that hires Keelon Lawson will get three possible McDonald's All-Americans in a five-year span. That's the simplest way to describe this situation.
    They did it the smart way. Have the son "commit" and then hire dad afterwards. This was still all orchestratetd and shady as ****.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by iowast8fan View Post
    if he helped train those 3 elite players, he was doing something right. Maybe he deserves a job?

Fred should have been on this guy for the position we had....

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    Fred should have been on this guy for the position we had....
    I'm wary of package deals. It seems CFH is winning with the strategy he has, and is keeping the program clean. I'm not referring to some of the players who have done stupid things recently; I'm more referring to running an honest program without a cloud of suspicion over it. Memphis & their new hire may or may not be cheating, but I wouldn't want the inevitable gossip. And if it IS cheating, there's no honor in winning if you have to cheat to get there.

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 387
    Given: 486

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    I'm wary of package deals. It seems CFH is winning with the strategy he has, and is keeping the program clean. I'm not referring to some of the players who have done stupid things recently; I'm more referring to running an honest program without a cloud of suspicion over it. Memphis & their new hire may or may not be cheating, but I wouldn't want the inevitable gossip. And if it IS cheating, there's no honor in winning if you have to cheat to get there.
    This x 1000, and I hope ISU coaches feel the same. Seems like a potential disaster for everyone involved.

"But let’s see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 124

Didn't Nick Collison's dad get a job at KU (outside athletic department)? That would have been under Roy's watch.

"We don't have thugs." - Fran McCaffery

Recruit
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

Nobody said anything when Iowa did this with Lickliter.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

To be perfectly blunt...I didn't even know he had a son. Neither did most of the nation, I'll wager. There's a bit of a difference in perceived quality of the players and/or programs involved...