Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 13

Re: Jake McDonough talks about paying players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    You're missing the point. "Cost of attendance" isn't just some arbitrary term that I'm using here. It's something that each school estimates and generally lists for prospective attendees. Here's Iowa State's yearly estimate:
    http://www.financialaid.iastate.edu/...attendance.php
    Most, if not all, schools do this. Athletic scholarships, in the majority of cases, do not cover this number. Most fall $3000-$5000 short. Lots of athletes apply for Pell grants to attempt to make up the difference, but not all of them qualify. That gap is what I'm talking about, and where a vulnerability lies for the NCAA. That's why you're hearing talk from the Power conferences about offering "Cost of Attendance" schollies. Smaller schools can't afford the extra money, so they've been against it. The NCAA has also been against it, but recently it seems like they might be softening their stance, due either to their fear of the legal system ruling against them, or their fear that the Power Conferences might jump ship and form their own league. I think it's a little of both. Regardless, the potential value of a scholarship, that you keep coming back to, while important, isn't really a part of this particular argument.
    Meh. Full tuition paid for. Full meals paid for. Many of your clothes provided.

$600/month should cover that, really. That is like another college kid working 15 hours per week at $10/hour.

Also, you said most students fall $3,000-$5,000 short. $600 X 12 months =$7200. $600 X 9 months = $5400.

What did I miss there?

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,502
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    Meh. Full tuition paid for. Full meals paid for. Many of your clothes provided.

$600/month should cover that, really. That is like another college kid working 15 hours per week at $10/hour.

Also, you said most students fall $3,000-$5,000 short. $600 X 12 months =$7200. $600 X 9 months = $5400.

What did I miss there?
    Not according to the University's own estimates on total cost of attendance. The $600 a month that you're talking about is included in the total dollar value of the scholarship. Tuition, meals, books, $600/month stipend, or in other words, the total of all yearly costs of an athletic scholarship still falls $3000-$5000 short (on average) of most Universities' own estimated cost of attendance numbers. That gap is the subject of multiple lawsuits. That gap is a vulnerability. That's why you're hearing the Power conferences talking about offering Cost of Attendance scholarships, to shore up that vulnerability.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186

Not according to the University's own estimates on total cost of attendance. The $600 a month that you're talking about is included in the total dollar value of the scholarship. Tuition, meals, books, $600/month stipend, or in other words, the total of all yearly costs of an athletic scholarship still falls $3000-$5000 short (on average) of most Universities' own estimated cost of attendance numbers. That gap is the subject of multiple lawsuits. That gap is a vulnerability. That's why you're hearing the Power conferences talking about offering Cost of Attendance scholarships, to shore up that vulnerability.
    I see. I misunderstood that, my apologies.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 73

You're missing the point. "Cost of attendance" isn't just some arbitrary term that I'm using here. It's something that each school estimates and generally lists for prospective attendees. Here's Iowa State's yearly estimate:
    http://www.financialaid.iastate.edu/...attendance.php
    Most, if not all, schools do this. Athletic scholarships, in the majority of cases, do not cover this number. Most fall $3000-$5000 short. Lots of athletes apply for Pell grants to attempt to make up the difference, but not all of them qualify. That gap is what I'm talking about, and where a vulnerability lies for the NCAA. That's why you're hearing talk from the Power conferences about offering "Cost of Attendance" schollies. Smaller schools can't afford the extra money, so they've been against it. The NCAA has also been against it, but recently it seems like they might be softening their stance, due either to their fear of the legal system ruling against them, or their fear that the Power Conferences might jump ship and form their own league. I think it's a little of both. Regardless, the potential value of a scholarship, that you keep coming back to, while important, isn't really a part of this particular argument.
    For me it is when we go beyond full cost of attendance. I don't have a problem with upping the stipend slightly but I don't think that's anyone's endgame. I have a problem when people are whining about not being able to pay out of pocket for a $500 apartment and a bunch of other things while acting like the players are being treated poorly by every school in the country. If it were that bad of a deal, everyone would quit playing.

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 32

Let me get this straight (correct me if I'm wrong)

It is his CHOICE to be a division 1 college football player
    He receives FREE tuition
    He receives FREE housing
    He receives a FREE meal plan (presumably 21 meals per week)
    He has access to student loans
    He can work a job during the summer after weight lifting like everyone else does and every athlete did in high school (and im sure it's tough finding a job when you're a football player )

And now they want cash on the side?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Let me get this straight (correct me if I'm wrong)

It is his CHOICE to be a division 1 college football player
    He receives FREE tuition
    He receives FREE housing
    He receives a FREE meal plan (presumably 21 meals per week)
    He has access to student loans
    He can work a job during the summer after weight lifting like everyone else does and every athlete did in high school (and im sure it's tough finding a job when you're a football player )

And now they want cash on the side?
    It's also his and other football players "choice" to try to get a bigger slice of the billion dollar pie they generate. It's called capitalism and the NCAA, college gear retailers, college administrators, etc. are lovin it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredSocial10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 853
    Given: 778

Tom Farniok@Farnyard 41s
    What I learned at big 12 media day- we get WAYYY less rent money than everyone else... The struggle is real

Support Local Music - http://www.ashesarmada.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,033
    Given: 1,035

Quote Originally Posted by mjacobs View Post
    Tom Farniok@Farnyard 41s
    What I learned at big 12 media day- we get WAYYY less rent money than everyone else... The struggle is real
    I thought stipends were equal across the board. Does each school get to pick how things are split up?

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 953
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    I thought stipends were equal across the board. Does each school get to pick how things are split up?
    Schools decide how much to give. There is a cap on what you can give but I am sure it is widely broken.

Just another recruiting point.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 1,078

Quote Originally Posted by mjacobs View Post
    Tom Farniok@Farnyard 41s
    Live in Freddy court, or get a summer job. Buck up, Tom,

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Pretty amusing how brave some posters are on the internet when talking about football players. Somebody in this thread even called McDonough an idiot. In addition to going to classes and maintaining their gradepoint, playing d-1 football is the equivalent of having a full time job, a job that creates billions in revenue that feeds a lot of people very well. If it went away nobody would cry louder than those feeding high on the hog, and even the fans that rip on the players for wanting more would be squealing. If the players can get a bigger piece of the pie they create, more power to them.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Pretty amusing how brave some posters are on the internet when talking about football players. Somebody in this thread even called McDonough an idiot. In addition to going to classes and maintaining their gradepoint, playing d-1 football is the equivalent of having a full time job, a job that creates billions in revenue that feeds a lot of people very well. If it went away nobody would cry louder than those feeding high on the hog, and even the fans that rip on the players for wanting more would be squealing. If the players can get a bigger piece of the pie they create, more power to them.
    Im all for a somewhat increase in stipends, but the woah is me I'm "poor" college kid Schtick ain't going to work. And I've seen first hand how some of this stipend money has been spent by our athletes.

I do think a number, close to almost a majority, of them don't see the big picture, but I guess they'll learn at some point.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    Cap coaching staff salaries and numbers
    Pay all scholarship and non scholarship athletes small standardized wage based on hours of work.
    Curb the king football mentality. It is making a select few rich while profiting on the rest.
    Medical expenses for all athletic injuries should be 100% while in school.
    Life long injuries should receive a payment from an NCAA owned fund.

NCAA should contribute more to general scholarship funds for students

Never will happen by hey that's my take
    1. You get injured on the job, that's how it is supposed to work.
    2. Claiming athletes aren't employees and then saying the cannot make money and remain athletes is communist-fascist b.s. That is de-facto strong arm bad faith contract terms which violates contract law. I learned this in Business Law 101 at ISU.
    3. Why anyone who claims to be an ISU FB fan would call out an ex-player asking for what is clearly a violation of law and constitutes illegal and unconstitutional contractual slavery as it functions today - Dr. Phil called. "What the hell is wrong with ewe?"
    4. Making payments to players for any reason by any party "illegal by NCAA rules "violates those players constitutional and contractual rights to make a living and violates the very tenants of capitalism that the Universities claim to be teaching. It puts any player willing to receive those payments in a position of blackmail and therefore corruptible for gambling purposes or any other means. That is also illegal and despicable.
    5. All these payments take place today at the "top" and "bottom" universities by boosters and is well documented. All of those claiming this will hurt ISU if players legal rights to make a living while playing college football are restored have an empty, callous, and cynical argument that has absolutely no merit. It will simply put the current transactions where they belong - as legal and more transparent.

Last edited by ShopTalk; 07-22-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Im all for a somewhat increase in stipends, but the woah is me I'm "poor" college kid Schtick ain't going to work. And I've seen first hand how some of this stipend money has been spent by our athletes.

I do think a number, close to almost a majority, of them don't see the big picture, but I guess they'll learn at some point.
    D-1 football players expose themselves to a high risk of a lifelong injury so the fat cats at the NCAA, TV networks, college a.d.s, etc can enjoy "capitalism". I think the football players are now seeing the big picture.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    D-1 football players expose themselves to a high risk of a lifelong injury so the fat cats at the NCAA, TV networks, college a.d.s, etc can enjoy "capitalism". I think the football players are now seeing the big picture.
    Never said there isn't a need for a health reform. But I guess if you want to go that route, they should be able to be taken care of during and after their playing days for any injuries sustained during or come after as a result of their playing days.