Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,116
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 506

Re: Jake McDonough talks about paying players.

Like I said earlier, Jay Bilas calls people out on this stuff almost daily. Tweeted a few hours ago:

@JayBilas: Amateur sports, huh?! http://t.co/Ac09zvKWVP Cue the Texas AD on the burdensome cost of a scholarship. How lame.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,224
    Given: 1,835

Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    Like I said earlier, Jay Bilas calls people out on this stuff almost daily. Tweeted a few hours ago:

@JayBilas: Amateur sports, huh?! http://t.co/Ac09zvKWVP Cue the Texas AD on the burdensome cost of a scholarship. How lame.

More thorough reporting on AD expenses in general is needed to justify where all this money goes.
    A friend and I were reading the ISU report for our own athletic department, and there are some odd #s in there. At one point, football (I think) had a listing simply as 'other' for $500,000.

It's not the clearest report, but it looked as though money just bleeds around the place.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,556
    Given: 149

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Do you want to talk about how much they are compensated or how much they are compensated compared to what the school makes? I see this as another instance where people are ****** someone is making money. If the NCAA's bottom line was zero and the athletes were in the same situation, no one would care. No one really wants to talk about the true value of what athletes receive because it's a huge amount. Far more than any normal student can receive going to school and working full time.
    No, I want to talk about the dollar value of the scholarship as it compares to the true cost of attendance at the school. You're tied up in the value of the degree that they can attain, and I'm not disagreeing with you on it's value. I'm strictly speaking of the that "cost to attend" number and how, in many cases, the dollar value of an athletic scholarship is lower than that number. If the courts decide that the NCAA is a cartel, then it's basically a slam dunk anti-trust violation, based on that. Potential value of a potential degree wouldn't be a factor. There's a reason why there are rumblings in the power conferences about providing full "cost of attendance" scholarships. It's because the AD's recognize it as a vulnerability.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 439
    Given: 379

I'm still wondering how paying athletes will work with non-revenue sports and students on partial athletic scholarships? They face greater financial hardship.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    I'm still wondering how paying athletes will work with non-revenue sports and students on partial athletic scholarships? They face greater financial hardship.
    You either have to pay them all or pay none. If you pay them all you will see schools start to cut sports so they can stay competitive in King Football.

The NCAA needs to come in with a soft benefits plan sort of thing to improve quality of life for NCAA athletes. Healthcare, meals, travel, scholarship guarantees, etc.

Smoke um if you got um

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    I agree 100% that this would not reduce cheating. But why not help out the 80% (my guess) of college athletes who get nothing under the table. Most college athlete are hard working, decent kids. They sacrifice their bodies and sometimes more for our enjoyment. They make millions of dollars for their universities Why not reward them?
    That's fine -- my point was just that you can't use the argument that paying players will eliminate/reduce cheating, or level the playing field.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

Prospect
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 2

This will only further the gap between the Alabamas and the Iowa States. Don't like it one bit

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,343
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearClone View Post
    If they could come up with a fair plan I wouldn't have a problem with paying players but I have yet to see one that even comes close to addressing all the problems. Even allowing them to sell their autographs is problematic. Say a booster buys one for $10000.
    The NCAA should set up a student athlete loan program. Allow student athletes to get a loan through the NCAA that is subsidized. If they obtain a degree, interest on the loan while they were in school is 0%. After they graduate, they pay back the loan with whatever interest rate the NCAA decides they want to give.

The NCAA should set up a student athlete work study program. Employers could sign up to provide jobs to student athletes. Make the pay something standard across the entire NCAA, say $10/hour, or whatever number. Limit the total number of hours to some value, say 10 hours/week. That way any student athlete could earn an extra $100 a week. The standard wage and limiting the number of hours would prevent corruption. Boosters could even become employers. Lets say I want a student athlete to mow my lawn and I'd pay $10/hour and have them 10 hours a week. Maybe they don't have to do all the work that time, but the dollar amount is pretty trivial as far as swaying an athlete to go to one school over the other. Plus, if all employers have to sign up through the NCAA, they could audit them if they wanted to.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 1,133

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    I would be in favor of raising the stipend given to student athletes. It is impossible for an athlete to have a job between school and sports commitments. If a student athlete's family can not help out they literally have very little to live on.

But I think the amount should be controlled and paid through normal scholarship channels.
    ********. They can get a job in the off season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,224
    Given: 1,835

Quote Originally Posted by 19clone91 View Post
    This will only further the gap between the Alabamas and the Iowa States. Don't like it one bit
    Nothing extends that gulf. That is what it is and always will be.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    No, I want to talk about the dollar value of the scholarship as it compares to the true cost of attendance at the school. You're tied up in the value of the degree that they can attain, and I'm not disagreeing with you on it's value. I'm strictly speaking of the that "cost to attend" number and how, in many cases, the dollar value of an athletic scholarship is lower than that number. If the courts decide that the NCAA is a cartel, then it's basically a slam dunk anti-trust violation, based on that. Potential value of a potential degree wouldn't be a factor. There's a reason why there are rumblings in the power conferences about providing full "cost of attendance" scholarships. It's because the AD's recognize it as a vulnerability.
    What's "full cost of attendance?" I could have made it on $600 pretty easily in college if i didn't have to pay for food. If not, take out a loan that is a fraction of most college kids for fun money. I'm not sure why athletes are somehow above that. 40K per year at ISU isn't enough but there isn't a job in Ames a college kid can get and make that even if they work full time. They also won't get the same help in classwork. Like I said, it's a problem that people on your side of the debate will not recognize the academic and long term value of what they are being given. There's also a reason everyone wants to focus on football. It's because pretty much every other sport has an alternative and you will not find an anti-trust judgement there.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

As others have said, articles like this hurt their cause. Everybody was poor and struggled in college.

They need to focus on a few things people will absolutely have their back on, or at least make them uncomfortable.

1. First priority should be lifetime healthcare for anything that could be tied to injuries relating to their time on the court/field. If this was a that was talked about in the article we'd all be in agreement that he's got his head on straight.

2. Next they need to totally focus on the sheer dollars ADs and head coaches make. I understand why they do but if they start talking about additional burdens by paying players another 500 a month while celebrating 3-5 million dollar yearly salaries for one dude... It puts them in an awkward spot. They won't do this at the school because they won't want to divide the team and these guys genuinely love their coaches but it needs to happen.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    What's "full cost of attendance?" I could have made it on $600 pretty easily in college if i didn't have to pay for food. If not, take out a loan that is a fraction of most college kids for fun money. I'm not sure why athletes are somehow above that. 40K per year at ISU isn't enough but there isn't a job in Ames a college kid can get and make that even if they work full time. They also won't get the same help in classwork. Like I said, it's a problem that people on your side of the debate will not recognize the academic and long term value of what they are being given. There's also a reason everyone wants to focus on football. It's because pretty much every other sport has an alternative and you will not find an anti-trust judgement there.
    You're missing the point. "Cost of attendance" isn't just some arbitrary term that I'm using here. It's something that each school estimates and generally lists for prospective attendees. Here's Iowa State's yearly estimate:
    http://www.financialaid.iastate.edu/...attendance.php
    Most, if not all, schools do this. Athletic scholarships, in the majority of cases, do not cover this number. Most fall $3000-$5000 short. Lots of athletes apply for Pell grants to attempt to make up the difference, but not all of them qualify. That gap is what I'm talking about, and where a vulnerability lies for the NCAA. That's why you're hearing talk from the Power conferences about offering "Cost of Attendance" schollies. Smaller schools can't afford the extra money, so they've been against it. The NCAA has also been against it, but recently it seems like they might be softening their stance, due either to their fear of the legal system ruling against them, or their fear that the Power Conferences might jump ship and form their own league. I think it's a little of both. Regardless, the potential value of a scholarship, that you keep coming back to, while important, isn't really a part of this particular argument.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This goes right along with what I'm talking about.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-ncaa-proposal

The idea is to pass legislation that would provide more benefits to athletes. If the new governance model is passed, the first plan by the Power 5 conferences is to adopt a cost-of-attendance stipend. The NCAA and Division I conferences face lawsuits over capping scholarships values.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by 19clone91 View Post
    How do you figure that? Unless you don't think there will be a maximum allowed payment. Every major program will pay the max, and cheating programs will manage to pay more.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)