How do you make your coffee? - Page 7

View Poll Results: How do you make your coffee?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brew a pot of coffee.

56 44.80%
  • Keurig brewer.

45 36.00%
  • French press.

7 5.60%
  • Pour-over.

2 1.60%
  • Buy from a store, cafe, etc.

7 5.60%
  • Other (please describe).

8 6.40%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Prospect
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 15

Re: How do you make your coffee?

I drive by about 20 different convenience stores every morning. I have a generic mug. Depending upon my mood, I stop at Kum and Go, Casey's, Hy Vee, or QT. I have my head buried in numbers all day, so I like the interaction before getting to work. I would rank their coffee KG, HV, QT, Casey's. There are days were the Casey's coffee is nearly undrinkable. I don't think they filter their water.

When I make a pot at home, it's Dunkin, or Starbucks ground, in a MR Coffee with filtered water, and coconut crème coffee creamer.

PSA- I know this isn't for coffee snobs, but look at Target during post holiday sales. Starbucks puts normal (but in holiday packaging), to blonde, to dark, and holiday roasts on clearance. In late December we got about 5 lbs of different Starbucks coffee for about $15.00. Just kept it in the freezer until needed. We found some great deals at an actual Starbucks as well.

Getting broken down over time but still fueling the fire and keeping it hot

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,181
    Given: 3,754

I find that if I use rusty water I can reuse the same grounds nearly indefinitely.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,996
    Given: 3,398

I only drink coffee that has been grown in very special soil. Virgin land that has not seen any other crops before (preferably slash and burn in the forests of the Amazon). It then needs to be picked by a team of highly trained, intelligent apes who have been bred for this sole purpose (who may or may not take over the world later on, not my problem). They then measure, inspect, and only keep the highest grade beans. Beans are then packaged and flown first class in a commercial jetliner guarded by Air Marshal Liam Neeson and delivered via white glove service directly to me.

This is where the fun begins. I only use natural spring water and a diamond encrusted press. While preparing the coffee, I make sure to only wear formal attire (tux), or business-casual if after 10:00pm. The coffee is then brewed at a temperature between 204 and 204.9 degrees. Anything over that (or under) and the whole thing is thrown away. At this point, ties and bow ties can be loosened up and I proceed to sip the coffee at a rate of exactly 0.753 ounces per minute. I also make sure to not think too hard in order to enjoy my coffee and try to keep my brain below 10% usage in order to upset movie critics.

After the coffee has been consumed, I make sure to prop my feet up and think about how pointless the whole process was. And I laugh, and laugh, and laugh....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,181
    Given: 3,754

Quote Originally Posted by GTO View Post
    I only drink coffee that has been grown in very special soil. Virgin land that has not seen any other crops before (preferably slash and burn in the forests of the Amazon). It then needs to be picked by a team of highly trained, intelligent apes who have been bred for this sole purpose (who may or may not take over the world later on, not my problem). They then measure, inspect, and only keep the highest grade beans. Beans are then packaged and flown first class in a commercial jetliner guarded by Air Marshal Liam Neeson and delivered via white glove service directly to me.

This is where the fun begins. I only use natural spring water and a diamond encrusted press. While preparing the coffee, I make sure to only wear formal attire (tux), or business-casual if after 10:00pm. The coffee is then brewed at a temperature between 204 and 204.9 degrees. Anything over that (or under) and the whole thing is thrown away. At this point, ties and bow ties can be loosened up and I proceed to sip the coffee at a rate of exactly 0.753 ounces per minute. I also make sure to not think too hard in order to enjoy my coffee and try to keep my brain below 10% usage in order to upset movie critics.

After the coffee has been consumed, I make sure to prop my feet up and think about how pointless the whole process was. And I laugh, and laugh, and laugh....
    I hope there are mother ******* snakes on that mother ******* plane!

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 160

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks Dunkin' Donuts coffee is on par with BK and McDonald's? It's just not very good.

Years ago I worked at the Greensboro (NC) Country Club bartending and banquet staff. For any banquets, weddings, Mother's Day, etc., we would have 2 coffee pots - one for regular, and one for decaf (denoted by an orange handle). What none of the patrons knew, is that we filled both pots out of the same urn in the kitchen, we never actually made decaf. Suckers!

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,856
    Given: 1,228

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    We make a pot of coffee every morning. By the time my wife and I have a cup each and then pour a to go cup it's pretty well empty. We generally grind beans but do have some pre ground. As much as I hate to admit it I really like Dunkin Donuts brand coffee, especially Dunkin Dark.

We used to have a Keurig but I hated the taste of coffee made in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I think Dunkin's is good for an inexpensive coffee. In Indiana, I did Tim Hortons most of the time, but Dunkin's is good as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mganzeveld View Post
    I've tried many, many different brands and flavors. Dunkin Donuts is my favorite. Just don't bother with their weird stuff like Blueberry Muffin or Jelly Donut. Gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRustCohle View Post
    When I make a pot at home, it's Dunkin, or Starbucks ground, in a MR Coffee with filtered water, and coconut crème coffee creamer.
    If you shop at Hy-Vee, you should check out their generic brand called Donut Shop Blend or something like that. I picked some up accidentally once because the packaging looks very similar to Dunkin' Donuts (pretty sure that's intentional), and was pleasantly surprised because I actually like the taste better and it's a few bucks cheaper.

This was pre-ground coffee. I haven't tried the whole bean stuff.

Prospect
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 119

Coffee snob here. Got into making grinding my own beans for espresso years ago. Now have a Jura ENA9 fully automatic machine. Don't have a legit coffee shop in my town. Love coffee so consider this machine one of the best investments we have made. Wife & I drink a latte in the morning (2 shots each) and sometimes another 2 at night. Have used Peet's beans for years. Shipped right to my house 2 days after being roasted. Have a drip machine too, but the Jura is so easy we don't drink much drip coffee anymore.

I highly recommend the Jura brand for anyone looking for a home espresso machine. Ours
    has worked flawlessly for 5 years.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 29

Keurig brewer. I will never go back. It makes the same cup of coffee every time and is so easy to clean up. Plus, you get your coffee in seconds. I have a french press and a poor over as well, but rarely use them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulle...coffee-recipe/

Not really, yet. We use a Cuisinart with an auto-grinder and buy beans from Starbucks, Saxbys, Sprouts, or anywhere else we happen to drive by when we know we need beans. I am curious about the bulletproof thing. I drink my coffee black currently so I am sure it would be a change. I just want (need) the extra brain power...

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Nespresso, best investment ever! Add in the Fontana sauce and it's an in-home Starbucks, quick and cheap.

We also keep a Kuerig in our sitting area of the Master bedroom. Before that I used and loved the Cuisenart grind and brew, but nothing compares to the Nespresso.

Last edited by ISUCyclone06; 07-16-2014 at 08:55 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 100

For the Keurig haters... you know there are reusable k-cups that you can fill with your own grounds. I grind about once a week and then brew a cup each morning. I get my own flavor based on the grounds I buy and I reckon my cost per cup is less than a quarter. AND I dont waste any. Take that full pot brewers. Boom... Eyeball shot. Keurig for the win!

Edit: A friend of mine has the Nespresso machine. Also great. I wouldn't mind that as well, but I can't justify two machines. Of course I think they do make one that does both...

Last edited by Cyclone06; 07-16-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 128

I chew coffee beans and chug boiling water

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 105

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post
    For the Keurig haters... you know there are reusable k-cups that you can fill with your own grounds. I grind about once a week and then brew a cup each morning. I get my own flavor based on the grounds I buy and I reckon my cost per cup is less than a quarter. AND I dont waste any. Take that full pot brewers. Boom... Eyeball shot. Keurig for the win!

Edit: A friend of mine has the Nespresso machine. Also great. I wouldn't mind that as well, but I can't justify two machines. Of course I think they do make one that does both...
    We had a reusable K Cup and I still thought Keurig coffee tasted horrible no matter what we put in there.

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 755
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 173

1962 Percolater
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	27496
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	525.4 KB 
ID:	27495  

Good times on Hawkeyenation.com after the 2010 Wisconsin Game!

Addict
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,165
    Given: 131

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post

Take the leftover coffee, let it cool, add milk and a little sugar over ice and you've got an iced latte. Leftover coffee doesn't get wasted with me.