Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 209

Re: Ankeny soon to be bigger than Dubuque

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    You are seriously trying to compare someone's decision on where to buy a house to a person's decision on what shoes to buy? Most people own one home, live there for years, and it by far represents their largest investment. Shoes can be bought on a whim, people can own dozens or more, and you can chuck them in a few months and not think anything of it.

Growth rate is a great thing to evaluate, because growth rate is going to reflect how appealing your community is to prospective residents. It isn't any harder for me to choose to live in Ankeny or DSM or Ames or WDM if I am moving into the area. Chances are, if I choose one over the others it is due to factors like available activities, schools, housing costs, transportation, shopping, etc. If a community sucks the big one in those categories, you aren't going to see a big growth rate.

yes, growth is a point to evaluate, but you r missed the point. When people were criticizing Ankeny for being “soulless”, having no sense of place, etc, coming back with quoting the growth rate doesn't address the criticism or prove the criticisms invalid. It just either show you might get nice appreciation if you buy a house and maybe that, many people don't care about those things that you criticize Ankeny on (or the downsides don’t outweigh the upside to certain segment of population).

Likewise, I'm sure there are people that realize Crocs aren't attractive, but they work in a profession like nursing which makes them practical to wear. If I say, your Crocs are ugly, the answer isn't "well...let me tell you how many have been sold in a year". Volume of sales doesn't make the shoes not ugly but rather, while some may in fact find them attractive, in reality many are simply buying because they are practical for their purposes, or they are cheap, or they are simply comfortable.

CCG

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 47

Ankeny is perfect for us. 20 min to Jack Trice/Hilton, has everything we need so we never go to DSM for anything except costco. Not sure what else I could ask for.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by khardbored View Post
    Picture of a Neighborhood "backyard" in Ankeny about 1.5 mi. from where I live. Easily accessible by a walking path:
    Attachment 27539
    Favorite Mexican Restaurant in town, El Charro:
    Attachment 27540
    (not a chain.)
    Looks like the neighborhood I lived in.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 209

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Ankeny is perfect for us. 20 min to Jack Trice/Hilton, has everything we need so we never go to DSM for anything except costco. Not sure what else I could ask for.
    That is a good summary. Ankeny has everything anyone probaly ever really"needs" and then some (e.g...short drive to Ames). The conversation after that involves "wants" . i.e....better restaurants, entertainment/culture, walkable neighborhoods, interesting/unique business districts, historic neighborhoods, etc. and that is all personal opinion/choice and hard to come to an agreement on as people differ so much.

CCG