Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,969, Level: 73
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,623
    Points
    56,969
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 79

    Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Lance Armstrong will be riding part of RAGBRAI this year. Is this a good or bad thing?

    I personally think that Lance was given a pretty harsh penalty for cheating in a sport where cheating was almost expected 15 years ago.



  2. #2
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 600,582, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,364
    Points
    600,582
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,329
    Given: 117

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    Lance Armstrong will be riding part of RAGBRAI this year. Is this a good or bad thing?

    I personally think that Lance was given a pretty harsh penalty for cheating in a sport where cheating was almost expected 15 years ago.
    It's not so much the cheating. It's the years of denying, lying, and smearing of anyone who accused him that I've got a problem with. He earned his penalty.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 466,759, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneRulzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    19,687
    Points
    466,759
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 2,715

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    It's not so much the cheating. It's the years of denying, lying, and smearing of anyone who accused him that I've got a problem with. He earned his penalty.

    This. The guy is a straight up ****** bag.


    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

    Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 328,717, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    9,112
    Points
    328,717
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,844
    Given: 458

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    I'm trying really hard to care one way or another, but I cannot.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 31,353, Level: 54
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,864
    Points
    31,353
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 2

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    I don't think it matters either way if he rides or not. If I see him ride past me, ok cool. If he serves me a beer in Rock Valley, ok cool. If I don't see him at all, it won't dampen my week.



  6. #6
    Recruit
    Points: 6,879, Level: 24
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Underwood Iowa
    Posts
    88
    Points
    6,879
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Lance Armstrong did more to cure a disease that is real than 99.999% of the rest of
    the world. I really don't care if he cheated at a race that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know I would rather have cancer cured than somebody winning a bicycle race.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 112,504, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,301
    Points
    112,504
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 335
    Given: 138

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by 06_CY View Post
    I don't think it matters either way if he rides or not. If I see him ride past me, ok cool. If he serves me a beer in Rock Valley, ok cool. If I don't see him at all, it won't dampen my week.
    Same boat as me. He's ruined some lives for individual gains, and he's also raised millions for other people's health. If he can make restitution with his accusers, it would go a long way.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 328,717, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    9,112
    Points
    328,717
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,844
    Given: 458

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by clone34 View Post
    Lance Armstrong did more to cure a disease that is real than 99.999% of the rest of
    the world. I really don't care if he cheated at a race that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know I would rather have cancer cured than somebody winning a bicycle race.

    I'm sorry, but I don't recall Lance getting his medical degree. He didn't to **** to cure cancer, he did raise awareness for cancer, which is cool, but he did it on the podium he was afforded by his cheating. I'm sorry about his nut and all, and I applaud him for how he's parlayed his cheating into something worthwhile, but I'll be darned if anyone can convince me I should care if he walks by me any more than I should care if one of you guys walk by me. Honestly, I think if someone told me "Hey, there's Rulzzz", or "Hey, there's Janny"...I'd be more moved than if Lance walked by me.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 45,704, Level: 66
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,246
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    Points
    45,704
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 19

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by 06_CY View Post
    If I see him ride past me, ok cool.
    You're assuming he'll spot you a 50-mile head start that day?



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 144,895, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    7,688
    Points
    144,895
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 268

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't recall Lance getting his medical degree. He didn't to **** to cure cancer, he did raise awareness for cancer, which is cool, but he did it on the podium he was afforded by his cheating. I'm sorry about his nut and all, and I applaud him for how he's parlayed his cheating into something worthwhile, but I'll be darned if anyone can convince me I should care if he walks by me any more than I should care if one of you guys walk by me. Honestly, I think if someone told me "Hey, there's Rulzzz", or "Hey, there's Janny"...I'd be more moved than if Lance walked by me.
    Cancer awareness is great and all to spread the word and help find a cure, but it's not like we weren't all aware of it before Lance as well. If he didn't help collect the money for research, another group would have. So I don't consider that such a pro for him.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 22,840, Level: 46
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,669
    Points
    22,840
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,122
    Given: 609

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    Cancer awareness is great and all to spread the word and help find a cure, but it's not like we weren't all aware of it before Lance as well. If he didn't help collect the money for research, another group would have. So I don't consider that such a pro for him.
    There's a case to be made that all of these high-profile cancer awareness campaigns redirect funding from more severe forms of cancer (people have limited funds to donate, and perhaps they shouldn't be giving so much to a cancer that only has a .8% mortality rate).

    There's also the contention that most of the monies raised for cancer research aren't used very effectively.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 20,855, Level: 44
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    BringBackJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    805
    Points
    20,855
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    I am ok with the guy. Other people have cheated in sports and lied about things and didn't get it this bad. The guy tried to do some good things with his fame. All in all I would say his impact on the world has had more positive then negative effect for the masses.


    Smoke um if you got um

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,658, Level: 73
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,622
    Points
    56,658
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 23

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    Lance Armstrong will be riding part of RAGBRAI this year. Is this a good or bad thing?
    How could it be bad?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 144,895, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    7,688
    Points
    144,895
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 268

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    There's a case to be made that all of these high-profile cancer awareness campaigns redirect funding from more severe forms of cancer (people have limited funds to donate, and perhaps they shouldn't be giving so much to a cancer that only has a .8% mortality rate).

    There's also the contention that most of the monies raised for cancer research aren't used very effectively.
    I agree. I was going to post some of that, but didn't want the "high horse" brigade to come hate on me as CF is known to do that.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 207,340, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,529
    Points
    207,340
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 414

    Re: Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

    After reading his 1st book, I'm not a fan. I don't believe the theory that you have to be an arrogant jerk to be the best at a sport.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM