Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,138
    Given: 221

Re: Task Force Recommendation for VEISHEA

Quote Originally Posted by RubyClone View Post
    Where's the benefit in spending a lot of money and time in something? That's cost, not benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    So the university will be saving tons of time and money from now on, that's a good thing.
    That's the thing. There is too much that goes into VEISHEA, and if there was no benefit, it would of been canceled decades ago. Hence, there is more then a "minimal benefit".

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 976
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    That's the thing. There is too much that goes into VEISHEA, and if there was no benefit, it would of been canceled decades ago. Hence, there is more then a "minimal benefit".
    Maybe society and VEISHEA have changed since then?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,367
    Given: 262

Traditions aren't exactly an easy thing to just do away with, how many riots did it take for it to get to this point?

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 447

Ok - sure.

But what if we're to the point where the negative publicity, overall costs (and I still maintain - with others - declining on campus interest) are exceeding this undefined benefit? It's a question that must be asked.

Perhaps we've hit the tipping point?

Edit: I don't know that I've said this - but I'm not really on the side of cancelling VEISHEA. But I do think that something has to be done about the party culture surrounding it, and it has to be eliminated And I have NO idea how to do it otherwise.

Last edited by RubyClone; 07-16-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 421

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Okay, I think that's a compliment. So, if we're being conciliatory, then I'll admit to playing up the VEISHEA hater angle a little bit.

I don't hate the event. I've enjoyed lots of VEISHEA's over the years. It is an event with value. BUT...not in it's current format. It's got to change. What it used to stand for, has been lost over the years. Not holding the event for a few years will hopefully sort of reboot the whole thing. That's my hope, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    Ok, good to see you're somewhat human with a shred of emotion, haha.
    No crap. Good to say I can agree with Janny on something. It does need a hiatus, and then hopefully actual changes can be made rather than the reactionary bs they tried before.

Legend
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,242
    Given: 560

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    old reliable. let's put in a cherry pie reference.

Here...we'll take away VEISHEA, but we'll give you this in return:

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    The lack of student participation or interest in VEISHEA activities was an issue I expected the task force to investigate. For example, the parade is a joke compared to what it used to be. No floats anymore, as no one wants to put in the work. Just "parade entries" consisting of groups marching behind a banner. VEISHEA used to have hundreds, maybe thousands of students directly involved. Now just a fraction of that. I expected the task force to recognize this change and try to solve it, but they did not.
    Society has changed drastically in the past 20 years. Back then, students didn't have easy access to the Internet and its assorted goodies (such a Facebook, YouTube, streaming of various types, online gaming, etc), xBox, Play Station, cell phones, cable/satellite TV available to most every student. Now getting involved in things such as VEISHEA has to compete with those other things, and those other things require much less effort. This problem isn't limited to VEISHEA at ISU. What you observe about VEISHEA doesn't surprise me at all.

The solution to the problem starts well before the students get to college. Getting a person to understand the importance of civic involvement in activities such as VEISHEA needs to start well before the kids get to college. And I'm not saying that the university can't do a better job in trying to get students to put the xBox down and get involved in bigger causes, but that job is much harder now than it used to be. Years ago, there really wasn't that much to do at college outside of studying, so campus organizations filled that void. Now, with all the things I mentioned above, there are plenty of things to do right from the dorm room / apartment. Given today's culture, I'm not really even sure the university can change it.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 07-16-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    Just as an observer that could care less either way (never went to VEISHEA as a student or alum), it seems to me that a lot of non-students and non-Ames people wind up there at some time during the week, no doubt spending some money. Surely VEISHEA had some sort of positive economic impact on the Ames community.
    Motels, restaurants, bars, and retailers of ISU gear would especially benefit. And ISU enrollment is now the highest in the state, and who knows how much of that could be due to prospective students coming to Veishea, getting acquainted with the beautiful campus and finding out about the many career opportunities, clubs, etc. ISU has to offer to students. And yes even the partying part of Veishea may help bring students to ISU. Some seem to think that we should end it for a few years, then bring it back. But would the people that took the easy road and got rid of it take the time and effort to find solutions and bring it back?

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 318

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Society has changed drastically in the past 20 years. Back then, students didn't have easy access to the Internet and its assorted goodies (such a Facebook, YouTube, streaming of various types, online gaming, etc), xBox, Play Station, cell phones, cable/satellite TV available to most every student. Now getting involved in things such as VEISHEA has to compete with those other things, and those other things require much less effort. This problem isn't limited to VEISHEA at ISU. What you observe about VEISHEA doesn't surprise me at all.

The solution to the problem starts well before the students get to college. Getting a person to understand the importance of civic involvement in activities such a VEISHEA needs to start well before the kids get to college. And I'm not saying that the university can't do a better job in trying to get students to put the xBox down and get involved in bigger causes, but that job is much harder now than it used to be. Years ago, there really wasn't that much to do at college outside of studying, so campus organizations filled that void. Now, with all the things I mentioned above, there are plenty of things to do right from the dorm room / apartment. Given today's culture, I'm not really even sure the university can change it.
    This hits the nail on the head, at least on the topic of declining student involvement.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post

The solution to the problem starts well before the students get to college. Getting a person to understand the importance of civic involvement in activities such as VEISHEA needs to start well before the kids get to college. And I'm not saying that the university can't do a better job in trying to get students to put the xBox down and get involved in bigger causes, but that job is much harder now than it used to be. Years ago, there really wasn't that much to do at college outside of studying, so campus organizations filled that void. Now, with all the things I mentioned above, there are plenty of things to do right from the dorm room / apartment. Given today's culture, I'm not really even sure the university can change it.
    Some valid points, though sadly the Playstation actually has been around for 20 years, launched in 1994 in Japan and 95 here. I'm going to go feel old now.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 318

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Some valid points, though sadly the Playstation actually has been around for 20 years, launched in 1994 in Japan and 95 here. I'm going to go feel old now.
    And I've owned each generation. Yeah, I feel old, too.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Speechless
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,528
    Given: 2,065

It's always easy to blame declining student involvement on modern generations or new toys that they have, but that's been developing for decades.
    It's much more likely that people are romanticizing their own memories of the past to argue that VEISHEA was once something better when the likelihood is that they're exaggerating the number of participants.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 196

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    It's much more likely that people are romanticizing their own memories of the past to argue that VEISHEA was once something better when the likelihood is that they're exaggerating the number of participants.
    That's a pretty big statement. When did you attend ISU? I assume it was back in the early 80's, like me, so it would qualify you to compare Veishea participation first-hand as I have...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,528
    Given: 2,065

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    That's a pretty big statement. When did you attend ISU? I assume it was back in the early 80's, like me, so it would qualify you to compare Veishea participation first-hand as I have...
    91-95. At least at that time or now, I've never heard anyone mention participating.

But now you'll do the personal memory thing, which is quite likely romanticized about student participation, because we remember things the way we want to.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 196

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    91-95. At least at that time or now, I've never heard anyone mention participating.

But now you'll do the personal memory thing, which is quite likely romanticized about student participation, because we remember things the way we want to.
    Anyone with a qualified perspective can tell the difference. Were you "involved" while at ISU, or were you an off-campus student who just went to class? Just curious, because as a greek, we were all expected to work for hours upon hours on our float. Now my frat doesn't build any floats any more. Hardly any frats do. Even dorm floors back then had floats in the parade.
    We also had an open house with displays, for middle or high school kids, with their parents, to attend, to get a taste of greek life. That also called for a lot of cleaning and organizing. No one does that anymore either.
    I was a journalism major, and we had displays and a departmental open house that weekend.
    As I mentioned a few days ago, lots of us had no "time" to gather along Welch Ave. the week of Veishea. We were too busy.