Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 91
  1. #76
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,190, Level: 74
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,518
    Points
    58,190
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 907
    Given: 1,100

    Re: What are they building??

    Flame & Skewer is still there with the Gyros. The theater is still there (it's a low cost, second run type now). Sears is gone. I don't go there often, so I'm not sure what other changes are inside. If I'm there it's usually just to JC Penney's.



  2. #77
    Addict
    Points: 130,965, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyrevkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,096
    Points
    130,965
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 444

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Flame & Skewer is still there with the Gyros. The theater is still there (it's a low cost, second run type now). Sears is gone. I don't go there often, so I'm not sure what other changes are inside. If I'm there it's usually just to JC Penney's.
    It's supposed to be closing if not already. They didn't want to upgrade their movie equipment since it wasn't cost effective.
    http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/a...a4bcf887a.html





    8/17/12

    If you want something more sobering, feel free to visit this blog:
    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  3. #78
    Walk On
    Points: 6,319, Level: 23
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    cyowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    202
    Points
    6,319
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 35

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    It was. Both places you mentioned have been gone a long, long time.
    I've told revkah about Ruttles, for example, but I don't think she ever got to eat there. I think it was gone before she ever really saw Ames, and we were here in 2001.
    I worked at Ruttles in 2001, so it was open after that. I think it closed sometime when I was in college, so before 2005.



  4. #79
    Speechless
    Points: 431,741, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,789
    Points
    431,741
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    You're bringing back all sorts of feels. I remember my dad used to work at Sears and we'd meet him for lunch at Super Spud sometimes. I also spent way too much money in both the arcade down by where the theater is/was (is that closed yet?) and the one where Strawberry Patch is.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Flame & Skewer is still there with the Gyros. The theater is still there (it's a low cost, second run type now). Sears is gone. I don't go there often, so I'm not sure what other changes are inside. If I'm there it's usually just to JC Penney's.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrevkah View Post
    It's supposed to be closing if not already. They didn't want to upgrade their movie equipment since it wasn't cost effective.
    http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/a...a4bcf887a.html
    It's closed and has been for a couple months now.



  5. #80
    All-Star
    Points: 21,791, Level: 45
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 759
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,465
    Points
    21,791
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Flame & Skewer is still there with the Gyros. The theater is still there (it's a low cost, second run type now). Sears is gone. I don't go there often, so I'm not sure what other changes are inside. If I'm there it's usually just to JC Penney's.
    The theater closed, not worth it to upgrade to digital projectors (not enough profit in second-run movies to justify it apparently) and sign another long-term lease with the mall. Will be interesting to see what if anything happens with that space. They brought Kohls, TJMAXX, and other stores in but then lost the movie theater so that was kind of a bummer.


    Last edited by cyclone87; 07-09-2014 at 12:50 PM.

  6. #81
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 166,966, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    3,736
    Points
    166,966
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 188

    Re: What are they building??

    RIP Dollar theater?



  7. #82
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,190, Level: 74
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,518
    Points
    58,190
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 907
    Given: 1,100

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    It's closed and has been for a couple months now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone87 View Post
    The theater closed, not worth it to upgrade to digital projectors (not enough profit in second-run movies to justify it apparently) and sign another long-term lease with the mall. Will be interesting to see what if anything happens with that space. They brought Kohls, TJMAXX, and other stores in but then lost the movie theater so that was kind of a bummer.
    Yeah...like I said, I don't get there much any more. :)



  8. #83
    All-Star
    Points: 27,689, Level: 51
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 961
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    coolerifyoudid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    your kitchen. Beer's gone
    Posts
    1,252
    Points
    27,689
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 497
    Given: 474

    Re: What are they building??

    It's scary to think of how many memories I have from college revolve around restaurants, especially since I was so poor, I barely ever ate out.

    Burger King on Lincoln Way (bottomless coke and late night cram sessions), Do Biz on Welch, Cafe Beaudelaire (learned to salsa dance late one Saturday...well, white-guy salsa dance...is that still there and any good?), Little Taipei, Mandarin, Hardees on Duff, Happy Joes, Ruttles, Perkins, pizza pit (xlarge pizza for like $4 or something)

    How I was only 175lbs when I graduated, I'll never know.


    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Clearly you will be in the looney bin within a month. It was good knowing you...

  9. #84
    All-Star
    Points: 21,791, Level: 45
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 759
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,465
    Points
    21,791
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by coolerifyoudid View Post
    It's scary to think of how many memories I have from college revolve around restaurants, especially since I was so poor, I barely ever ate out.

    Burger King on Lincoln Way (bottomless coke and late night cram sessions), Do Biz on Welch, Cafe Beaudelaire (learned to salsa dance late one Saturday...well, white-guy salsa dance...is that still there and any good?), Little Taipei, Mandarin, Hardees on Duff, Happy Joes, Ruttles, Perkins, pizza pit (xlarge pizza for like $4 or something)

    How I was only 175lbs when I graduated, I'll never know.
    Yea, Cafe B is still there and still great!



  10. #85
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,190, Level: 74
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,518
    Points
    58,190
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 907
    Given: 1,100

    Re: What are they building??

    Bet it wasn't so great yesterday... ;)



  11. #86
    All-Star
    Points: 21,791, Level: 45
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 759
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,465
    Points
    21,791
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Bet it wasn't so great yesterday... ;)
    Yea the Soccer crowds fill up capacity pretty quick (and poor Brazil, that was brutal)


    Last edited by cyclone87; 07-09-2014 at 02:28 PM.

  12. #87
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,190, Level: 74
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,518
    Points
    58,190
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 907
    Given: 1,100

    Re: What are they building??

    We had a whole bunch of Brazilians working for us when they last won it...they were listening to it at work, and the day after Brazil took it all, there was so much bottle flu we were reduced to one or two staff. They were still hungover a couple of days later. If it was like that when they won, I can't imagine what it must have been after they lost yesterday.



  13. #88
    Addict
    Points: 88,843, Level: 92
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,279
    Points
    88,843
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 75

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by coolerifyoudid View Post
    Burger King on Lincoln Way (bottomless coke and late night cram sessions), Do Biz on Welch, Cafe Beaudelaire (learned to salsa dance late one Saturday...well, white-guy salsa dance...is that still there and any good?), Little Taipei, Mandarin, Hardees on Duff, Happy Joes, Ruttles, Perkins, pizza pit (xlarge pizza for like $4 or something)
    Dollar Days are here again!


    CCG

  14. #89
    Addict
    Points: 317,768, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    7,736
    Points
    317,768
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,094
    Given: 223

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    We had a whole bunch of Brazilians working for us when they last won it...they were listening to it at work, and the day after Brazil took it all, there was so much bottle flu we were reduced to one or two staff. They were still hungover a couple of days later. If it was like that when they won, I can't imagine what it must have been after they lost yesterday.

    How many was it...a whole bunch, or brazilians?

    <that works better spoken...I s'pose>



  15. #90
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,190, Level: 74
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,518
    Points
    58,190
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 907
    Given: 1,100

    Re: What are they building??

    I s'pose! There were seven or eight, plus a couple of Columbians and one or two from Uruguay or Paraguay (don't remember which) that were Brazilian supporters (or just liked to celebrate with them!). We were VERY South American for a couple of years.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM