Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 91
  1. #16
    Speechless
    Points: 445,067, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    24,310
    Points
    445,067
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 110

    Re: What are they building??

    West Ames would be an awful place in Ames for Hardees. Overpriced burgers in a market dominated by college students where land acquisition costs are out of this world? That's got bankruptcy written all over it.



  2. #17
    All-Star
    Points: 30,424, Level: 53
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Buster28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,267
    Points
    30,424
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 185

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Used to be 3 of them, 20 years ago:
    1. South Duff (where Panera is)
    2. Mall (where Jimmy John's is, but more space)
    3. Campustown (around Battles)
    Actually, the mall Hardees was on the empty corner next to TJ Maxx on the south end of the main building. A Diamond Dave's was in there for a while and it may have been a random bar after that, but it's been empty now for years. Where Jimmy John's is now used to be Baskin Robins a looong time ago. And the space across the way from them with the day spa and Cookies Etc used to have two first-run movie theaters.


    All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

    (maybe)

  3. #18
    Speechless
    Points: 919,093, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,632
    Points
    919,093
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,921
    Given: 4,982

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    Actually, the mall Hardees was on the empty corner next to TJ Maxx on the south end of the main building. A Diamond Dave's was in there for a while and it may have been a random bar after that, but it's been empty now for years. Where Jimmy John's is now used to be Baskin Robins a looong time ago. And the space across the way from them with the day spa and Cookies Etc used to have two first-run movie theaters.

    I was concerned that Diamond Dave's was so long ago that no one would remember it, then I moved Jimmy John's for no reason after that.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #19
    Speechless
    Points: 445,067, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    24,310
    Points
    445,067
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 110

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I was concerned that Diamond Dave's was so long ago that no one would remember it, then I moved Jimmy John's for no reason after that.
    Thank God you don't have a history degree or anything or that would be a real shot to your credibility.



  5. #20
    Speechless
    Points: 919,093, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,632
    Points
    919,093
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,921
    Given: 4,982

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Thank God you don't have a history degree or anything or that would be a real shot to your credibility.
    I think we both know that was shot years ago, just like the Archduke.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #21
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 2,724, Level: 14
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    229
    Points
    2,724
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 102

    Re: What are they building??

    Chick-fillet is closed on Sundays. It needs to be something else.



  7. #22
    Speechless
    Points: 375,892, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    15,478
    Points
    375,892
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,246
    Given: 1,372

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I think we both know that was shot years ago, just like the Archduke.

    Too soon....





  8. #23
    Addict
    Points: 150,893, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCyclones2015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH > Ames > Dallas
    Posts
    6,889
    Points
    150,893
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,034
    Given: 279

    Re: What are they building??

    A fast food place will never go out there in West Ames until the cost of land goes down. Most people buying franchised restaurants don't have that kind of money. If they moved the Pizza Ranch to over there, that would probably kill it.

    Put a Chick-Fil-A in the old Long John Silvers and put a White Castle in the old Wendy's on Lincoln Way west of Campus.


    "Be passionate and bold. Always keep learning. You stop doing useful things if you don't learn. So the last part to me is the key, especially if you have had some initial success. It becomes even more critical that you have the learning 'bit' always switched on."

  9. #24
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,140, Level: 72
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,410
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Daserop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    3,656
    Points
    54,140
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 502

    Re: What are they building??

    not a strip club...disappointing.


    Godo (Berserk): If you desire one thing for so long, itís a given that youíll miss other things along the way. Thatís how it isÖ thatís life.

  10. #25
    All-Star
    Points: 26,303, Level: 49
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,876
    Points
    26,303
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 81

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    A fast food place will never go out there in West Ames until the cost of land goes down. Most people buying franchised restaurants don't have that kind of money. If they moved the Pizza Ranch to over there, that would probably kill it.

    Put a Chick-Fil-A in the old Long John Silvers and put a White Castle in the old Wendy's on Lincoln Way west of Campus.
    I agree that land is probably still too expensive out there for a fast food joint, however there is still an outparcel available in the Dakota Crossing development (just west of the gas station) that could be built and leased to a fast food place.



  11. #26
    Rookie
    Points: 10,691, Level: 31
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JVAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Eagle Grove, IA
    Posts
    540
    Points
    10,691
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 36

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    Actually, the mall Hardees was on the empty corner next to TJ Maxx on the south end of the main building. A Diamond Dave's was in there for a while and it may have been a random bar after that, but it's been empty now for years. Where Jimmy John's is now used to be Baskin Robins a looong time ago. And the space across the way from them with the day spa and Cookies Etc used to have two first-run movie theaters.

    I have good memories of that Hardees. My dad and I used to eat there after Iowa State Football games a lot in the late 70s and 80s. The food wasn't that good, but I enjoyed going there with my dad. Do you remember when it closed?



  12. #27
    All-Star
    Points: 30,424, Level: 53
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Buster28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,267
    Points
    30,424
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 185

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I was concerned that Diamond Dave's was so long ago that no one would remember it, then I moved Jimmy John's for no reason after that.
    Nope, some of us A) are that old, and B) are originally from Story County (well, me, anyway). But I also remember the Hardees where Battle's is now, the McDonalds that was across the street, and the Burger King that was on Lincoln Way. Not old enough to remember the IHOP, though. There were also all the Happy Chefs, South Duff hotels, and extra (now abandoned and removed) rail lines.

    People don't realize how much this city has changed, even over just the last 30 years. My uncle went to Iowa State in the early 70s and hasn't lived here since, but he's always amazed at how little he recognizes when he comes back to visit.


    All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

    (maybe)

  13. #28
    All-Star
    Points: 30,424, Level: 53
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Buster28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,267
    Points
    30,424
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 185

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by JVAR View Post
    I have good memories of that Hardees. My dad and I used to eat there after Iowa State Football games a lot in the late 70s and 80s. The food wasn't that good, but I enjoyed going there with my dad. Do you remember when it closed?
    The big reduction in locations happened around '96-'97, I think. But I want to say that the North Grand spot closed before then, perhaps early 90s? I was in northern California from '85-'95, so I wasn't here to see what happened when at that point. When I was a kid, we'd go to that Hardees once in a while and I always insisted we sat in the train that went down the main aisle of the place. The location where Panera is now had airplanes to sit in, I believe.


    All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

    (maybe)

  14. #29
    Addict
    Points: 106,206, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    5,429
    Points
    106,206
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 352

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    Nope, some of us A) are that old, and B) are originally from Story County (well, me, anyway). But I also remember the Hardees where Battle's is now, the McDonalds that was across the street, and the Burger King that was on Lincoln Way. Not old enough to remember the IHOP, though. There were also all the Happy Chefs, South Duff hotels, and extra (now abandoned and removed) rail lines.

    People don't realize how much this city has changed, even over just the last 30 years. My uncle went to Iowa State in the early 70s and hasn't lived here since, but he's always amazed at how little he recognizes when he comes back to visit.
    I remember Peoples when it was still a drug store!



  15. #30
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 89,874, Level: 93
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,376
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VTXCyRyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,542
    Points
    89,874
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 186

    Re: What are they building??

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    I hope it's a bank or an auto parts store.
    Maybe a new Mexican or Chinese restaurant



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM