Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 100

Re: Tickets Sold Out

Quote Originally Posted by Section136 View Post
    As an Iowa fan this thread cracks me up.

It reminds me so much of the threads I read in the offseason before the 2010 football season. There were so many stories about people who were going to buy season tickets for the first time that year because they could finally afford it, little Timmy finally moved away to college and they would have more disposable income, Johnny's youth soccer games are during the week this year instead of on Saturdays or any other BS reason why they never ponied up for season tickets in the past.

And then they would pizz and moan because there were no seats available like they were owed something because they "bled black and gold".

Props to Clone fans on selling out season tickets for basketball, well done.
    Thanks for clearing this up that you are an Iowa fan. Maybe some of the statements about people finally being able to buy tickets are true.

I work in college athletics. Been going to Iowa State games since I can remember. Now that I can finally afford it on my own, I had planned to buy the cheap tickets this year, just so I could get to one, maybe two games. Had planned to donate the rest of the tickets for the games I couldn't get to. I know other people that have done this and it's pretty cool.

But yea, keep laughing at the ones that couldn't get tickets that just became diehards today.

42-54 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Addict
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,656
    Given: 418

It reminds me so much of the threads I read in the offseason before the 2010 football season. There were so many stories about people who were going to buy season tickets for the first time that year because they could finally afford it, little Timmy finally moved away to college and they would have more disposable income, Johnny's youth soccer games are during the week this year instead of on Saturdays or any other BS reason why they never ponied up for season tickets in the past.

And then they would pizz and moan because there were no seats available like they were owed something because they "bled black and gold".

Summary of post for those who didn't want to read it after the first sentence (and I understand that, but I'm bored):

1: I'm an Iowa fan

2: I get enjoyment reading about the poor people and people with lives outside of Iowa athletics who can't get tickets.

3: We Iowa fans absolutely must have an ability to maintain our superiority complexes, even amongst ourselves, so we have a stratified system revolving around ***** measuring.

4: Condescending pat on the head for finally getting almost up to Iowa's level.

Hey section...how's Iowa basketball season tickets been doing the last 5 years or so...I don't think Jamie has done bobblehead or free pizza night lately.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

Yeah, but the second Iowa shows signs of not being good, Iowa fans jump off the wagon fast. In relative terms, they don't support their team as well. Consider Iowa has a higher population base closer to their venues, consider Iowa has a lot more fans in the state. Consider Iowa has had a lot of athletic success over the years. Now lets look at how Iowa supports their team during hard times. For example, Iowa had a good run in football from 1981 to 1998. After only one of two years of not being very good, attendance fell to 55,000 per game. Again, consider larger fan base and success. Then again in 2012, after only one off year of 4-8 attendance started to slide again. Now contrast that with Iowa State. Smaller fan base, much less success and somehow ISU is able to get 55,000 fans per game. How bad would have Iowa's support had been had KF hadn't righted the ship in 2001? What if they had a 5 year down turn or something similar to what ISU had gone through? When you look at bb, both ISU and Iowa have had down periods, but ISU outdraws Iowa considerably during down periods. Iowa fans like to stick their chest out about what great fans they are. That is only true when they are winning. The true sign of a good fan base is how they support their school in down times. In that, ISU has the better more loyal fan base.

Thanks for the back handed compliment, but when it comes to fan support between the two schools, in relative terms it is hard to compare.

Prospect
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Yeah, but the second Iowa shows signs of not being good, Iowa fans jump off the wagon fast. In relative terms, they don't support their team as well. Consider Iowa has a higher population base closer to their venues, consider Iowa has a lot more fans in the state. Consider Iowa has had a lot of athletic success over the years. Now lets look at how Iowa supports their team during hard times. For example, Iowa had a good run in football from 1981 to 1998. After only one of two years of not being very good, attendance fell to 55,000 per game. Again, consider larger fan base and success. Then again in 2012, after only one off year of 4-8 attendance started to slide again. Now contrast that with Iowa State. Smaller fan base, much less success and somehow ISU is able to get 55,000 fans per game. How bad would have Iowa's support had been had KF hadn't righted the ship in 2001? What if they had a 5 year down turn or something similar to what ISU had gone through? When you look at bb, both ISU and Iowa have had down periods, but ISU outdraws Iowa considerably during down periods. Iowa fans like to stick their chest out about what great fans they are. That is only true when they are winning. The true sign of a good fan base is how they support their school in down times. In that, ISU has the better more loyal fan base.

Thanks for the back handed compliment, but when it comes to fan support between the two schools, in relative terms it is hard to compare.
    I had season tickets in the McDermott years and I'm going to pretend I didn't read this post. I was ashamed of cyclone fans and their support of those teams at many of the games I went to...not to the degree of the Likliter hawks, but still pretty crappy. And sect 136 can go back to the collective circle jerk over on the hawk sites.

Last edited by Stormwarning; 07-04-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by 4CY4EVR View Post
    I'm currently a cardinal donor for many years with two of the $175.00 tickets. I know I'm guaranteed those two tickets regardless. However, I wanted out of the corner so I submitted an upgrade request to move them to the 1 cardinal, 2 gold, or 3. blue sections with the understanding I would have pony up the difference if the upgrade was honored. The ticket office just states the demand is high and to submit my request and wait and see. What are my chances of the upgrade actually happening?
    There really isn't any way to know for sure if you will get your upgrade, but I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Especially if you got that request in early. They haven't assigned seats yet to the people who have ordered tickets for the first time and I am certain that they will fulfill those ticket upgrades before filling in the new season ticket holders. (At least those new tickets holders at the lowest giving level). I also wouldn't be surprised if there are a very limited number of season tickets released after August 1st when all of the renewals have been processed and the new ticket holders have been placed. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the ticket office right now to see just how the process is being handled. Good problems to have, but it must be stressful trying to deal with figuring it all out and dealing with unhappy/anxious customers.

"Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses." -George Washington Carver

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Summary of post for those who didn't want to read it after the first sentence (and I understand that, but I'm bored):

1: I'm an Iowa fan

2: I get enjoyment reading about the poor people and people with lives outside of Iowa athletics who can't get tickets.

3: We Iowa fans absolutely must have an ability to maintain our superiority complexes, even amongst ourselves, so we have a stratified system revolving around ***** measuring.

4: Condescending pat on the head for finally getting almost up to Iowa's level.

Hey section...how's Iowa basketball season tickets been doing the last 5 years or so...I don't think Jamie has done bobblehead or free pizza night lately.
    How was my comment condescending? It says a lot about the program Hoiberg has built to sell out season tickets in early July.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,936
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Clone1138 View Post
    Put me firmly in the "Expand Hilton" camp now. I don't care how you do it or how much it costs. Find a way to add 5,000 more seats.
    If cost is not an issue, then they just build a new facility if it's 20,000 we want inside.

Addict
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 396
    Given: 307

Quote Originally Posted by CyHawk7 View Post
    Fairly certain pollard released a statement saying no students were turned away for any game last year.
    For the 2012-2013 season, no students were turned away. Some students will claim they got turned away for the KU game that year but that was only because that was the game where the students literally pushed through and broke the doors of Hilton and bull rushed past the ticket takers. They stopped letting students in for about a half an hour so they could count how many seats were open and let that many people in. Supposedly some students left thinking that they weren't getting in even though they would have gotten in if they would have been patient. Then they proceeded to ***** to the ticket office that they weren't let in and demanded refund despite there being seats or at worst standing room only. After that debacle when they opened up the doors for the KU game, they came up with the new system of lining up around Hilton and security only lets in 10 or so people at a time.

For the 2013-2014 season, the only game that students were turned away was Iowa. I believe that those refused entry were given refunds for that game.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,324
    Given: 1,586

How was my comment condescending? It says a lot about the program Hoiberg has built to sell out season tickets in early July.
    You might start with the idea that it was 90% about Hawkeye football & Hawkeye fans in a thread about ISU Basketball selling out. Then you could segue into your implied boast about how this has been going on in IC for, like, forever, man...but gee...it's so cute that you're selling out basketball.

Normally I just read past posts like yours and chalk it up to "consider the source". But in your 42 posts so far you have proved yourself to have black & gold blinders on, so you will have to work much harder to prove it wasn't condescending.

Prospect
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Make that 2 of us. Let me know if anyone has corners

riceville98

Addict
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 396
    Given: 307

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    You might start with the idea that it was 90% about Hawkeye football & Hawkeye fans in a thread about ISU Basketball selling out. Then you could segue into your implied boast about how this has been going on in IC for, like, forever, man...but gee...it's so cute that you're selling out basketball.

Normally I just read past posts like yours and chalk it up to "consider the source". But in your 42 posts so far you have proved yourself to have black & gold blinders on, so you will have to work much harder to prove it wasn't condescending.
    I've been reading a mixture of Iowa and ISU message boards for years but for some reason this year I have seen a lot more Hawk fans trolling ISU message boards and ISU bashing threads on Hawk message boards. Don't believe me, look at the new posts section of hawkeye nation. There is always several threads up bashing ISU and they are some of the most active threads on the site. Something tells me that Iowa fans suddenly have an inferiority complex to ISU.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,324
    Given: 1,586

I've never joined another school's board just to bash their fans or chased them onto threads unrelated to ISU on ESPN & CBS, but obviously I will occasionally respond in kind on an ISU board/thread.

I have read a few threads over on HN, and I have to say that I really like this format (easier to read)...and REALLY appreciate the work the Mods do on this board.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwarning View Post
    I had season tickets in the McDermott years and I'm going to pretend I didn't read this post. I was ashamed of cyclone fans and their support of those teams at many of the games I went to...not to the degree of the Likliter hawks, but still pretty crappy. And sect 136 can go back to the collective circle jerk over on the hawk sites.
    I was there too, and you are right to a point. There were a lot of games with big crowds too. The point is, in comparison to Iowa, Iowa State had more support despite not having as large of a fan population base within an hours drive of the venue. Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Quad Cities, Waterloo/Cedar Falls plus all of the towns have way more hawk fans in the area then there are Cyclone fans in central Iowa.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 509
    Given: 391

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwarning View Post
    What the hell do you expect? We were ******* terrible. People don't want to pay big bucks to watch crap. I was impressed with how well attendance was during the McDoormat years because anywhere else it would have been worse.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 341

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    What the hell do you expect? We were ******* terrible. People don't want to pay big bucks to watch crap. I was impressed with how well attendance was during the McDoormat years because anywhere else it would have been worse.
    Three league wins a year. That was debbie downer basketball.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.