Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 682
    Given: 89

Re: Excessive Alcohol to Blame for 1 in 10 Deaths

Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    This is an impossible task. There is no way that all factors can ever be taken into account. Road surface, weather, wildlife, pedestrians, other drivers. You cannot eliminate it. Plus, I can 100% guarantee that some people would drive like complete maniacs if they thought they were driving a car that "could not" get in an accident. If someone comes around a curve and a kid runs out on the street, the laws of physics will always exist. If there is not enough time and distance to bring the moving vehicle to a stop then it will either have to hit the kid or change lanes, where there is no guarantee of not hitting something else.
    Derp

It's all snark from here on out

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 388
    Given: 471

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Derp
    To believe that this is a possibility is flat out dumb. Sure, it works in a freaking parking lot or a controlled test. Zero chance it works on a regular basis. Some kid ran out in front of my car this morning when I was taking my daughter to swim practice. If there was traffic coming the other way at the time there is a 0% chance that I would have gotten through that without hitting something. I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid him.

Legend
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,407
    Given: 1,060

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Do we really want everyone living to 90+? Let people smoke, drink, get fat, and be happy.
    Probably sounds insensitive but the obese little kids you see everywhere have a slim chance if reaching anywhere near 90. We're headed towards a bigger and bigger divide where people who can eat and live healthy with modern medicine are going to live longer and longer while others are going to self terminate on a diet of almost exclusively processed foods.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 516

To believe that this is a possibility is flat out dumb. Sure, it works in a freaking parking lot or a controlled test. Zero chance it works on a regular basis. Some kid ran out in front of my car this morning when I was taking my daughter to swim practice. If there was traffic coming the other way at the time there is a 0% chance that I would have gotten through that without hitting something. I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid him.
    Google's driverless car has over 700,000 miles on it and has been in 2 accidents. Both accidents were other cars rear ending it.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 682
    Given: 406

Quote Originally Posted by ISUME View Post
    Google's driverless car has over 700,000 miles on it and has been in 2 accidents. Both accidents were other cars rear ending it.
    The rear ending could've been caused by the Google car to some extent. California drivers and Texas drivers move at a different pace. I became used to the driving style of California and almost rear ended all kinds of drivers in Texas. It's a different pace. The California driver will make that light. The Texas driver was more likely to stop or wait before turning. I'm hitting the gas while the guy in front is on the break.

I'm ready for the Google car. Most people are horrible drivers. I get run into by people pushing shopping carts at the store. People drive the same way. Better traffic flow, increased gas mileage and fewer accidents when more of these vehicles can talk to each other. I'm in.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 655
    Given: 321

You'll never get to the point where you completely avoid accidents, as you said, something could jump out in front of you faster than you or a computer could react. But we will get to the point where a computer can drive your car and do it much safer than any human driver ever could thanks to its 100% attention (and complete 360 degree knowledge of its surroundings at all times) and its superior reaction time - maybe when the kid jumps out in the road the fraction of a second extra time the computer reacts with is enough to avoid it or at least make the accident less severe.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,890
    Given: 899

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    You'll never get to the point where you completely avoid accidents, as you said, something could jump out in front of you faster than you or a computer could react. But we will get to the point where a computer can drive your car and do it much safer than any human driver ever could thanks to its 100% attention (and complete 360 degree knowledge of its surroundings at all times) and its superior reaction time - maybe when the kid jumps out in the road the fraction of a second extra time the computer reacts with is enough to avoid it or at least make the accident less severe.
    My question is how can it distinguish a child from a garbage bag that blows in front of you, or how accurately can it assess the road conditions? A LOT of hurdles there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 655
    Given: 321

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    My question is how can it distinguish a child from a garbage bag that blows in front of you, or how accurately can it assess the road conditions? A LOT of hurdles there.
    I dont think you want to be hitting either of those things though. You never know what could be in a garbage bag even, and random items on the road can really mess your car up.

That being said, you could probably tell some sort of difference with IR cameras, a person will put off a different heat signature than a random road object.

But definitely a lot of hurdles still out there. Ice and snow being two big ones.

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,629
    Given: 1,570

I wouldn't call self-driving cars impossible. I think back to what people 100 years ago would have considered impossible. All of the world's knowledge on a device in your pocket? Talking to someone from across the world on a screen in front of you? Landing on the moon?

Challenging, yes, but not impossible.

Vice-President of ***Official I Hate People Who Hate On Random Thoughts Thread***, Inc.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

As soon as you initiate some differentiation between urban and rural, you open a loop hole for lawyers to drag court cases through the ringer. This increases court costs, time of cases and leads to LESS people being punished for an OWI. It's either against the law or it's not. Common sense cannot be allowed when lawyers are involved or it will be exploited to the max.
    If you could read you would see that I acknowledge such a law would be unfeasible.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,652
    Given: 998

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    I wouldn't call self-driving cars impossible. I think back to what people 100 years ago would have considered impossible. All of the world's knowledge in your pocket? Talking to someone from across the world on a screen in front of you? Landing on the moon?

Challenging, yes, but not impossible.
    I'm not pocket-sized.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUME View Post
    Anyone here ever have any problems with their home PC? Ever just blip out on you and do weird stuff? That's on a temperature controlled, environment controlled computer, the technology of which has existed and been tested over generations. If you think I am going to put my life in the hands of a brand new technology that is in a car (which is exposed to the elements of snow, wind, rain, road salt and sand) then you are completely bonkers. I deal with the computers that run our bank's ATM fleet now and let me tell you that the outdoor elements are not friendly to computers, no matter how weather proof you think they are. NO THANKS, I'll take my chances and drive myself.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KnappShack View Post
    The rear ending could've been caused by the Google car to some extent. California drivers and Texas drivers move at a different pace. I became used to the driving style of California and almost rear ended all kinds of drivers in Texas. It's a different pace. The California driver will make that light. The Texas driver was more likely to stop or wait before turning. I'm hitting the gas while the guy in front is on the break. I'm ready for the Google car. Most people are horrible drivers. I get run into by people pushing shopping carts at the store. People drive the same way. Better traffic flow, increased gas mileage and fewer accidents when more of these vehicles can talk to each other. I'm in.
    Again, we're assuming that all technology works FLAWLESSLY at all times. Which is foolish since there is virtually zero technology that works flawlessly at all times. Cell phones that give us "all the world's knowledge in our pocket?" Sometimes my phone just drops everything it's doing and reboots itself. No reason, just a momentary blip in the power source. The Google car is what, six cars? Basically custom built by hand by a fleet of engineers? Do you think they will maintain their integrity when they are mass produced by an assembly line of robots and union employees by a company who is more interested in their bottom line than in your 100% safety? If so I have some land I'd like to sell you...

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,629
    Given: 1,570

Anyone here ever have any problems with their home PC? Ever just blip out on you and do weird stuff? That's on a temperature controlled, environment controlled computer, the technology of which has existed and been tested over generations. If you think I am going to put my life in the hands of a brand new technology that is in a car (which is exposed to the elements of snow, wind, rain, road salt and sand) then you are completely bonkers. I deal with the computers that run our bank's ATM fleet now and let me tell you that the outdoor elements are not friendly to computers, no matter how weather proof you think they are. NO THANKS, I'll take my chances and drive myself.
    Again, we're assuming that all technology works FLAWLESSLY at all times. Which is foolish since there is virtually zero technology that works flawlessly at all times. Cell phones that give us "all the world's knowledge in our pocket?" Sometimes my phone just drops everything it's doing and reboots itself. No reason, just a momentary blip in the power source. The Google car is what, six cars? Basically custom built by hand by a fleet of engineers? Do you think they will maintain their integrity when they are mass produced by an assembly line of robots and union employees by a company who is more interested in their bottom line than in your 100% safety? If so I have some land I'd like to sell you...

ahh, and there's the Kansas coming out.

Vice-President of ***Official I Hate People Who Hate On Random Thoughts Thread***, Inc.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    ahh, and there's the Kansas coming out.
    Eh, what does this have to do with Kansas? So it's dumb to not be willing to put my life in the hands of a computer? These are realistic questions, many of which are being voiced by the Google team themselves as serious hurdles to their project.