Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 289

Re: ISU,Iowa, UNI funding Formula

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    As it stands now with the new formula, ISU is set to get a big windfall of cash very soon - starting in less than a year (for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2015). While I agree that UI is really going to ramp up recruitment, it will be more difficult for them to do so with less money than they have now, and ISU will be able to compete well with the bump in dollars. It will be very disappointing if UI is able to "win" this in the short-term because ISU is definitely in the best position out of any of the schools.

Lost in this discussion is the fact that the new formula makes an in-state student equal to the value of an out-of-state student. In the past, out-of-state students were worth more than in-state because of the premium they paid.

Think of the new formula like this (with the numbers simplified): The state of Iowa will set aside $5k/year for every Iowan student at a public university, and send that $5k to the school that enrolls them. An out-of-state student pays $15k to go to UI/ISU/UNI after getting a scholarship, so the university gets $15k. An in-state student pays $10k, and the state sends along $5k, the university gets $15k as well. Essentially it will be a wash.

In the past, the enrollment numbers weren't tied to funding, so the universities were incentivized to chase non-residents that would pay that premium, because their state dollars were constant regardless of whether they got that student paying $15k or $10k. UI was best known for doing that, but ISU got into the mix heavily as well - hiring recruiters to work in the Twin Cities, Chicago, even in Texas. I don't think that will be going away now with the new formula, either.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that even if Iowa does push for more in state students, it'll take a while for that to bear fruit. After all, Iowa State's "Choose your adventure" campaign is probably about 10 years old now. It won't be a quick fix

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 1

The U of I's approach is so transparent, it's laughable. For decades, they didn't give a rip about Iowa students because all the money was in recruiting nonresidents, so they were quite content to load up on students who couldn't get into the University of Illinois. More recently, they've been loading up on Chinese students. All the while, they basically told Iowans that they were lucky to be a Hawkeye.

When ISU's enrollment shot past theirs a few years ago, they came out with their line about being interested in quality, not quantity (i.e., we could be bigger than ISU if we wanted, but we just don't want to). Now that there is a financial incentive to enrolling Iowans, they suddenly developed a fondness for Iowa high school graduates and they've launched a $1 million media blitz to try to convince Iowans that the U of I has cared about them all along. Also, that line about not being interested in quantity? Never mind. They now say they're interested in growing since they've overcome the damage from the flooding. Yeah, right.

Meanwhile, ISU just quietly kicks U of I's butt year after year in in-state recruitment. Why? Because resident freshman enrollment has been a top priority for ISU since the beginning of time. That's why every single year without exception more Iowa high school graduates choose ISU than any other college in the country. Unlike the U of I, the new funding model doesn't change ISU's recruitment strategy because Iowa residents always have been, and always will be, the top priority for ISU.

Finally, regarding the U of I's new marketing campaign, they just don't get it and they never will. All of their print ads and commercials focus on THE University of Iowa. It's still the "aren't we awesome?" approach, as if Iowa students will suddenly realize the awesomeness of the U of I and rush to fill out their admission application. ISU's marketing campaign, on the other hand, focuses on the student and how ISU can help them discover their passion and "choose your adventure." It's about the student. ISU got over itself many years ago, while the U of I is like the little girl who has to be constantly told she's pretty.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 957
    Given: 277

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    Finally, regarding the U of I's new marketing campaign, they just don't get it and they never will. All of their print ads and commercials focus on THE University of Iowa. It's still the "aren't we awesome?" approach, as if Iowa students will suddenly realize the awesomeness of the U of I and rush to fill out their admission application. ISU's marketing campaign, on the other hand, focuses on the student and how ISU can help them discover their passion and "choose your adventure." It's about the student. ISU got over itself many years ago, while the U of I is like the little girl who has to be constantly told she's pretty.
    This is a great point and I don't think UI will do any favors for themselves with the "University For Iowa" campaign either. ISU's impact on the state as a whole, outside of academia, is more far-reaching than UI's anyway - and that's the way it's supposed to be for a land-grant university with extension offices all over Iowa.

UI and ISU offer different things and that's OK. If UI wants to pretend they are better at the things that ISU is built to do, I guess they can go ahead and try.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 169

They definitely nailed the commercial. Our reign is over.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

Lost in the discussion...It's all about programing and what you have to offer to kids.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 32

Of course Iowa was going to react negatively. They used to get to reap the rewards of a ton of out of state students and more funding than ISU and UNI.

Iowa dollars should follow Iowa kids. This change makes Iowa State the flagship university of the state and also lets UNI focus on what they do really, really well (education, accounting, business) without having to go out and try to be things that they aren't. Its a win-win for the state.

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    The U of I's approach is so transparent, it's laughable. For decades, they didn't give a rip about Iowa students because all the money was in recruiting nonresidents, so they were quite content to load up on students who couldn't get into the University of Illinois. More recently, they've been loading up on Chinese students. All the while, they basically told Iowans that they were lucky to be a Hawkeye.

When ISU's enrollment shot past theirs a few years ago, they came out with their line about being interested in quality, not quantity (i.e., we could be bigger than ISU if we wanted, but we just don't want to). Now that there is a financial incentive to enrolling Iowans, they suddenly developed a fondness for Iowa high school graduates and they've launched a $1 million media blitz to try to convince Iowans that the U of I has cared about them all along. Also, that line about not being interested in quantity? Never mind. They now say they're interested in growing since they've overcome the damage from the flooding. Yeah, right.

Meanwhile, ISU just quietly kicks U of I's butt year after year in in-state recruitment. Why? Because resident freshman enrollment has been a top priority for ISU since the beginning of time. That's why every single year without exception more Iowa high school graduates choose ISU than any other college in the country. Unlike the U of I, the new funding model doesn't change ISU's recruitment strategy because Iowa residents always have been, and always will be, the top priority for ISU.

iowa has had a just slightly bigger problem on their hands for the past several years. recruiting strategy was way down the list.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydugouts View Post
    iowa has had a just slightly bigger problem on their hands for the past several years. recruiting strategy was way down the list.
    Why? UofI doesn't have flood insurance and agents? I tend to agree that UI has sat on their laurels and let the western suburbs pack their classrooms with kids that couldn't get into Illinois. I don't blame them but make no mistake; UI isn't EIU as some call it here, it's UWS.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Lost in the discussion...It's all about programing and what you have to offer to kids.
    The future is STEM, we're in good shape.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Why? UofI doesn't have flood insurance and agents? I tend to agree that UI has sat on their laurels and let the western suburbs pack their classrooms with kids that couldn't get into Illinois. I don't blame them but make no mistake; UI isn't EIU as some call it here, it's UWS.
    It is an ongoing mess with fema over there. A huge drain on state resources. 30 some buildings needed relocated and or rebuilt under the constant threat of fema clawbacks. I don't think you appreciate the magnitude of the damage. In fact it sounds like you almost enjoy it.

Iowa has roughly 50% out of staters and ISU 40%.its not a huge difference.

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 59

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    The future is STEM, we're in good shape.
    This. Liberal Arts degrees just aren't as sought after as they used to be.

Addict
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 957
    Given: 277

65% of undergrads at ISU are from Iowa, compared to 55% for UI. When you factor in grad students, ISU drops to 60% but UI stays at 55% (ISU graduate students are largely from outside of Iowa, while UI's are not - primarily due to the programs that each university offers.)

But the important difference is when you factor in enrollment and undergrad/grad ratios, as ISU has a larger enrollment plus a higher proportion of its students being undergrads.

20,000 Iowa students are enrolled at ISU for undergrad, compared to 12,000 for UI. Those numbers will be the reason why the money will shift significantly, because the enrollment-based funding is only dependent on that category: Sheer number (not %) of undergraduate students from the state of Iowa.

Sources:
    http://www.ir.iastate.edu/FB14/PDF%2...0Residence.pdf
    http://www.registrar.uiowa.edu/LinkC...id=133&mid=579

Last edited by CyFan61; 07-20-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 1,100

It is an ongoing mess with fema over there. A huge drain on state resources. 30 some buildings needed relocated and or rebuilt under the constant threat of fema clawbacks. I don't think you appreciate the magnitude of the damage. In fact it sounds like you almost enjoy it.

Obviously it is in terms of funding.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

i wasnt referring to the funding. I was referring to comments about all the illinois students. illinois has 4x as many residents as iowa...they all cant get into champaign, and who wants to go to illinois state?

its something ISU should try to continue to capitalize on as well. i seem to run across more and more suburban chicago/downstate ISU students all the time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post

Thats the reason Iowa Liberal Arts grads always say: Do you want fries with that?

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA