Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 103

Re: ISU,Iowa, UNI funding Formula

I thought this quote in the article was Hilarious, and just proves one of our stereotypes of UofI being University of Illinois-Iowa city:

“I don’t want to, in any way, send a message, especially to our international students or our Illinois students or students from anywhere else in the country, that somehow we don’t want them,” Mason said. “We do. We do for lots of reasons, not the least of which is they bring great diversity to our community, and we value that.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 78

Agree tzjung. Even the President of the U of I knows they are U of Illinois - Iowa City Campus. If her recruitment efforts for instate students fail, I wonder if she will press for an official name change. Why not just accept what every one has known since forever?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 60

Jokingly, U of I might be better off pressuring the state of Illinois for more state funding.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 599
    Given: 180

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    ISU and Iowa will cannibalize UNI, the community colleges and the private liberal arts schools. I hope folks are happy.
    Given your username I can see why you would be unhappy. I don't think the liberal arts colleges in IA will be hurt too badly by this. As another poster mentioned, they offer something completely different than what ISU and UI (and UNI to an extent) do, and that is not going to change. A student looking to pay $20-25k/year at Luther with a scholarship or $9k/year at ISU without one is likely not going to change their decision if ISU recruits them harder or maybe offers a $1k scholarship.

Perhaps some of the students that would have otherwise planned to do 2 years at a community college before transferring to a public will now instead start at one of the universities instead. Other than that I don't think the impact will be very widespread.

The 3 universities will compete very strongly with one another for Iowa students, starting recruitment earlier, tailoring it better, and offering more and better scholarships for Iowa high schoolers and transfers. I think that is a great thing for the state. More Iowa resources will be made available for Iowa students.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Given your username I can see why you would be unhappy. I don't think the liberal arts colleges in IA will be hurt too badly by this. As another poster mentioned, they offer something completely different than what ISU and UI (and UNI to an extent) do, and that is not going to change. A student looking to pay $20-25k/year at Luther with a scholarship or $9k/year at ISU without one is likely not going to change their decision if ISU recruits them harder or maybe offers a $1k scholarship.

Perhaps some of the students that would have otherwise planned to do 2 years at a community college before transferring to a public will now instead start at one of the universities instead. Other than that I don't think the impact will be very widespread.

The 3 universities will compete very strongly with one another for Iowa students, starting recruitment earlier, tailoring it better, and offering more and better scholarships for Iowa high schoolers and transfers. I think that is a great thing for the state. More Iowa resources will be made available for Iowa students.
    tl;dr

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=885727

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 48

The University of Iowa is becoming the “University for Iowa” in its massive marketing blitz that will pepper the state’s malls, airports and venues with signs; push advertisements via television, radio and newspaper outlets; and hype its message at events such as RAGBRAI and the State Fair.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Figured I had a 50-50 shot given your complaining.

And I apologize for the whole 3 paragraphs. Must be exhausting to read.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Figured I had a 50-50 shot given your complaining.

And I apologize for the whole 3 paragraphs. Must be exhausting to read.
    There is at least some trepidation by the liberal arts schools, so says this article.

http://thegazette.com/subject/news/i...lance-20140628

I have a cousin in administration at Central, he told me they are also anxious about it. May the best school win, I have no loyalty to UNI or the private schools.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WooClone15 View Post
    I could see UNI (who honestly needs more out of state kids), and the community colleges maybe, but not the liberal arts schools because those schools offer different things than the state universities. For one thing, people who go to a liberal arts school generally want to go to a smaller school. ISU, UI, and UNI cannot offer that. It isn't a bad thing, but it's just reality.

As to the retention question, how much of a retention problem does Iowa have? Are students leaving the state permanently (a problem), or are they leaving for a few years and then moving back to the state?
    Very interesting question, maybe the funding should be based on how many grads take jobs in Iowa. I can only guess that Iowa has a lower rate if their non-resident enrollment is higher -- Naperville kids would seem to be more likely to look for jobs in Chicago, etc. I have no idea if any of the schools put any emphasis on placing kids in Iowa-based jobs.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

I agree with this 100% but I think the next major issue (that the Legislature needs to address) is retention of graduates that go to Iowa colleges and universities. It seems like for many, even if you want to stay in the Midwest, your options are Minneapolis, Chicago, and/or Kansas City to get a good job (mostly). We are investing a good amount of money in educating students, but that isn't worth a whole lot from an Iowan public policy standpoint if they leave right after they graduate and don't come back.
    Could have something to do with a Branstad economic strategy of creating lots of jobs in Iowa because we have cheap labor. Would have been a brilliant plan had we not had to compete with Mexico and Asian children for wages. Other states were investing in research parks and tech at the time.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    There is at least some trepidation by the liberal arts schools, so says this article.

http://thegazette.com/subject/news/i...lance-20140628

I have a cousin in administration at Central, he told me they are also anxious about it. May the best school win, I have no loyalty to UNI or the private schools.
    You read that entire article but CyFan's 3 paragraph post (which offered a great point of view) was too long?

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by QCCyclone View Post
    You read that entire article but CyFan's 3 paragraph post (which offered a great point of view) was too long?
    I went back and read CyFan's post so as not to be an *** (hopefully better late than never). The Gazette article I read when it was published.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 208

The problem with Iowa doing the "University for Iowa" campaign is that they're focusing on the wrong thing. It's not that people don't know Iowa exists, it's that Iowa makes no attempt to reach out to high school students and try to persuade them to go to Iowa; they just expect you to want to go to Iowa.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 428
    Given: 475

Quote Originally Posted by WooClone15 View Post
    The problem with Iowa doing the "University for Iowa" campaign is that they're focusing on the wrong thing. It's not that people don't know Iowa exists, it's that Iowa makes no attempt to reach out to high school students and try to persuade them to go to Iowa; they just expect you to want to go to Iowa.
    I am actually a little worried that ISU is going to end up losing in the long run with this funding change. Right now ISU pretty much owns in state students and Iowa never made much of an effort to change that. As a result ISU is slowly changing the demographics of the state more towards ISU supporters. If Iowa starts really focuing on in state students that could slow or even reverse ISU's enrollment growth and long term statewide influence.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    I am actually a little worried that ISU is going to end up losing in the long run with this funding change. Right now ISU pretty much owns in state students and Iowa never made much of an effort to change that. As a result ISU is slowly changing the demographics of the state more towards ISU supporters. If Iowa starts really focuing on in state students that could slow or even reverse ISU's enrollment growth and long term statewide influence.
    As it stands now with the new formula, ISU is set to get a big windfall of cash very soon - starting in less than a year (for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2015). While I agree that UI is really going to ramp up recruitment, it will be more difficult for them to do so with less money than they have now, and ISU will be able to compete well with the bump in dollars. It will be very disappointing if UI is able to "win" this in the short-term because ISU is definitely in the best position out of any of the schools.

Lost in this discussion is the fact that the new formula makes an in-state student equal to the value of an out-of-state student. In the past, out-of-state students were worth more than in-state because of the premium they paid.

Think of the new formula like this (with the numbers simplified): The state of Iowa will set aside $5k/year for every Iowan student at a public university, and send that $5k to the school that enrolls them. An out-of-state student pays $15k to go to UI/ISU/UNI after getting a scholarship, so the university gets $15k. An in-state student pays $10k, and the state sends along $5k, the university gets $15k as well. Essentially it will be a wash.

In the past, the enrollment numbers weren't tied to funding, so the universities were incentivized to chase non-residents that would pay that premium, because their state dollars were constant regardless of whether they got that student paying $15k or $10k. UI was best known for doing that, but ISU got into the mix heavily as well - hiring recruiters to work in the Twin Cities, Chicago, even in Texas. I don't think that will be going away now with the new formula, either.