Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Walking On?

Has anyone experienced what the process is like and would care to share? Thanks.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 2

Re: Walking On?

Run you until there are only a few that are left standing. They make it as well as the preferred guys that they wanted all along. That's how it was 14 years ago with Getty and Coach Mac any ways. Then they tried really hard to get as many to quit as possible. Once they knew you were mentally and physically strong enough, you were accepted as one of the team.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

Don't we have some grey shirts now and open schollys? Just wondering if anyone will get awarded.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 692
    Given: 1,038

I was contacted by the coaches as a High School Senior about walking on. I was going to ISU anyways and took the opportunity. I wasn't a preferred walkon (which just means I wasn't invited to 2 a days), so my first day was the first day of classes. We had to do a conditioning test, that consisted of 10 100 yard sprints with a 30 second rest between them. Each position group had a time in which they had to get under for all of them. It really wasn't that hard, but it was funny watching people run as fast as they could for the first 5 and then die on the last 5 all while I paced myself and finished with the same time everytime. Because we started the first day of school we didn't get to dress and be on the sidelines for the first game (which happened to be Okie State). The first year it was just being on the scout team and trying to gain respect. After the season the winter strength and conditioning program started. Here you had a chance to show your work ethic and how much you were committed. Then spring ball happens and you get a shot to prove yourself and try to move up the depth chart.

Pretty much it for year 1.

Recruit
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I walked onto Walden's first team, back in the spring of 1987. They had all the players (walk-on hopefuls and returners) run through stations (conditioning, agility, speed, etc.) for a week. The returners were grouped by position and the walk-ons were jumbled together in 2 or 3 groups (not by position). After a few days they moved me into a position group with the returners -- that's when I knew I was in.

Starter
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    I was contacted by the coaches as a High School Senior about walking on. I was going to ISU anyways and took the opportunity. I wasn't a preferred walkon (which just means I wasn't invited to 2 a days), so my first day was the first day of classes. We had to do a conditioning test, that consisted of 10 100 yard sprints with a 30 second rest between them. Each position group had a time in which they had to get under for all of them. It really wasn't that hard, but it was funny watching people run as fast as they could for the first 5 and then die on the last 5 all while I paced myself and finished with the same time everytime. Because we started the first day of school we didn't get to dress and be on the sidelines for the first game (which happened to be Okie State). The first year it was just being on the scout team and trying to gain respect. After the season the winter strength and conditioning program started. Here you had a chance to show your work ethic and how much you were committed. Then spring ball happens and you get a shot to prove yourself and try to move up the depth chart.

Pretty much it for year 1.
    Our first game was Okie State,.....a conference game?? When was that? Some where like '97?

Last edited by GWad; 06-27-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 347

Quote Originally Posted by Kraps View Post
    Has anyone experienced what the process is like and would care to share? Thanks.
    Former roommate of mine tried it last fall. They have you come in at like 6:00am in August to the Bergstrom building and work out in position groups. I don't know many details about how it went, other than a small percentage of those that try out will make the team - but some will, so it's worth a shot.

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I mainly just want to be on the team. So, I'm perfectly fine with being on the scout team. But, would I get a number/roster spot? And thanks for the heads up about the 10 100s, now I know what to train for this summer. Also, practice wise, does it interfere a lot with school/studying?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GWad View Post
    Our first game was Okie State,.....a conference game?? When was that? Some where like '97?
    Yes 1997

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 11

I mainly just want to be on the team. So, I'm perfectly fine with being on the scout team. But, would I get a number/roster spot? And thanks for the heads up about the 10 100s, now I know what to train for this summer. Also, practice wise, does it interfere a lot with school/studying?

can't speak for football, but I walked on to track team at ISU and they hold walkons to a higher GPA standard but don't always get the same access to the academic facilities the scholarship athletes. I always thought that was kinda weird given the whole "student-athletes going pro in something other than sports" the NCAA always preaches.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So are you currently in High School? If so what year?

Contact the coaching staff (Most likely the recruiting coordinator) and let them know you are interested in walking on. They are usually pretty easy to talk to. They may ask to have your High School coach contact them to talk about you (your skills, mental toughness, work ethic, etc.)

If that all goes well they will probably give you a workout program to follow for the summer so you show up in decent shape.

My biggest advice is you better love football, don't do it "just to be on the team". If you are doing it "just to be on the team" you are dead weight and not helping the team get better. If you are going to do it go in with the initial goal of getting special teams playing time, once you accomplish that goal update it to playing significant minutes on Off or Def or maybe earning a scholarship. As long as you work your *** off and take it seriously you will be fine. Football is going to take up a ton of your time, but it is worth it. I would not trade my time on the ISU football team for anything and I extremely happy I stuck it out even when I wanted to quit.

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 3

Is the treatment of a preferred wall on more similar to that of a scholarship player or a normal walk on?

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    So are you currently in High School? If so what year?

Contact the coaching staff (Most likely the recruiting coordinator) and let them know you are interested in walking on. They are usually pretty easy to talk to. They may ask to have your High School coach contact them to talk about you (your skills, mental toughness, work ethic, etc.)

If that all goes well they will probably give you a workout program to follow for the summer so you show up in decent shape.

My biggest advice is you better love football, don't do it "just to be on the team". If you are doing it "just to be on the team" you are dead weight and not helping the team get better. If you are going to do it go in with the initial goal of getting special teams playing time, once you accomplish that goal update it to playing significant minutes on Off or Def or maybe earning a scholarship. As long as you work your *** off and take it seriously you will be fine. Football is going to take up a ton of your time, but it is worth it. I would not trade my time on the ISU football team for anything and I extremely happy I stuck it out even when I wanted to quit.
    I graduated this spring. I have spoken with a coach already and he told me info about the tryout and meeting. I'm mainly just wanting to know about what actually happens at the tryout, and how long until cuts are made, or if you know you made the team etc.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 201

This would be a great story for CW or BB to run with and of course interview one or two walk-on kids in the program.

Last edited by Cyclonic1; 06-28-2014 at 05:16 PM.

The sky is the limit. We are trying to win every game. We are going to try to get to that big stage, the Final Four, and play on. Morris (May 2014)
    “If you take a look at this group, we’re extremely talented 1-15. We have a lot of talented guys in this locker room — all guys who are willing to put their agendas aside to win. That separates good teams from great teams.” Niang (Oct 2014)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    Is the treatment of a preferred wall on more similar to that of a scholarship player or a normal walk on?
    Naturally a scholarship player is given priority since they have a scholarship invested in them. The only difference between a preferred walkon and a normal walkon is that preferred walkons are there for 2 a days and a normal walkon isn't.