Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 609

Re: Our D - better than advertised

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    A coach can only do so much with poo though.
    Did you really just call our players "poo"?

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,787
    Given: 1,504

Quote Originally Posted by Sloup View Post
    If we've learned anything during the Paul Rhoads era, it's that defense alone doesn't win in the Big XII. The Cyclones had as good a defense as any team in the league in 2012 and barely got to a bowl game.

I'm not worried about the defense because, frankly, it doesn't matter that much. Rhoads and Burnham have shown us they can produce a quality defense with relatively little talent. If the new offensive coaches can take advantage of the best talent in the CPR era, Rhoads will be able to build this young defense enough to compete with the top of the league within the next couple years.
    I'm not convinced about the "relatively little talent" part. There were a lot of NFL guys out there, between Knott, Klein, LJ, Sims, and anyone I'm forgetting.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,695
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I'll need to see an effective defense in the post-Jake Knott era before I get really excited about what he'll do.
    I think Wally is good, but he hasn't proven much without Knott.
    Well he also coached him to BE Jake Knott. We're talking about an un-recruited 2-star kid that wasn't even drafted who played like a first team all big 12 player for two or three years. I give a lot of credit to Wally for that. It's not like Jake was Derrick Brooks.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Our D is going to be awful no matter how you slice it.
    There are way too many unknowns at this point to automatically conclude the defense will be awful.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I'm not convinced about the "relatively little talent" part. There were a lot of NFL guys out there, between Knott, Klein, LJ, Sims, and anyone I'm forgetting.
    A defense is only as good as the front four let it be. A good front four will cover up a lot of weaknesses in the back 7. A bad front four makes a strong back 7 weak.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 10

My response: We shall see. There are too many unknown factors pertaining to the whole team, much less the defense. Our attitude should be "wait and see."

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    My response: We shall see. There are too many unknown factors pertaining to the whole team, much less the defense. Our attitude should be "wait and see."
    IMO, Alton Meeks is a stud and future star at Middle Linebacker. He was a state high school wrestling champion. He has really good size at 6'3" and about 250 lbs. And he has great athleticism as he was a HS QB. At this point he is listed ahead of JUCO Jordan Harris. Meeks redshirted last year and entered ISU early and has had two springs here already. With his size, speed and athleticism, the potential is very high. And we have the rest of our Linebackers back. So overall, I could see an improvement at the Linebackers, even though we lose Jeremiah George. Cornerbacks should actually be better than last year as we return Nigel Tribune, along with Richardson and Lynn. Safety is a concern, but we have numbers to draw from and should be okay. I actually see our DE's as being better than last year. And the DT's being a push at worst. Possibly better. Jensen is back and Cousin has a lot of potential. Throw the other youngsters in there and we should be okay, they do have potential.

We just need to be patient and wait and see.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    There are way too many unknowns at this point to automatically conclude the defense will be awful.
    Agreed, but you could say the same thing the other way around as well. There are way too many unknowns at this point to automatically conclude it won't be awful (which is what the majority of people in this thread are attempting to do). Really the only tangible evidence anyone has to go off of is last year, and... well... that just isn't any fun.

"Crack a smile, drink it down, it's the cleanest around."

Yours Truly,

Ames Water

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Hoping for a Top 80 defense and a Top 70 offense. Better than last year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 1,196

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    My D is also better than advertised, or so my wife tells me.
    FYI she also told that to all the other guys she screwed before you. LOL.

Sorry I had to

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 380
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    First off, for those of you that think the defense wasn't that bad last year and it was all the offense's fault, you're wrong. The defense was basically as bad as the offense last year IMO.

UNI scored TD's on their first 3 possessions against us. Yes, our offense didn't answer like they should have, but there's no way our defense should ever allow UNI to run up and down the field on us all night. They were bad. And Iowa did the same thing basically. We knew Iowa would come into the game wanting to run, and they did, and we still couldn't stop them.

Now, on to this year. On paper, this defense appears to be worse than last years. We lost some key players on the DL, LB, and both safeties. And we replace them mostly with supposedly talented, but young and inexperienced players. That is a recipe for disaster generally.

However, I'm hopeful that losing Irving and Coe are actually going to be addition by subtraction. I'm beginning to think that these two were a cancer on this team. Just look at Brandon Jensen leaving the team, and then when finding out that Irving and Coe were gone, he then comes back.

I think losing Irving and Coe will be a good thing hopefully. I think the defense will play together much more this season as a unit instead of a bunch of individuals. I would MUCH rather start Jensen and Cousin inside than Irving and Coe, let's put it that way. So I think the D-line could be ok with those two inside, and Morrissey and Myers or a JUCO at DE.

LB does scare me quite a bit. Over the last few seasons we've lost Knott, Klein, and now George. And I'm not sold on anyone we've replaced them with at this point. Yeah, of course Brackens and the younger Knott have shown glimpses at times of what they could be, but they are still pretty unproven IMO. We will need to depend on Jordan Harris to learn the system so he knows where he's supposed to be, and then on young guys like Seeley, Meeks, Mills, and White to step it up. I'm still not sold on Jevohn Miller either. He seems to be ok against the run, but a big liability against the pass. So we shall see. Oops, I almost forgot about Levi Peters! I love this kid. I look for him to get quite a few minutes this year. He's just a bulldog. Not full of talent, but boy does he bring it. All out, all the time. I love that!

I think we'll be ok at corner. At safety though, we lose both starters. However, here is where I think we do have a couple of really talented young guys that could end up being REALLY good. I love the potential of Cotton-Moya and Mutcherson back there. I'm sure there will be some growing pains, but these two could become All Big 12 safeties in a couple years IMO.

So in summation... I think losing Irving and Coe could be a good thing potentially. If the JUCO's can provide decent depth on the DL, I think the DL will be ok.... it will likely all depend on how much pressure they can get on the opposing QB's. If they have all day to pass, it will be a LONG year in the pass happy Big 12. LB position scares me the most right now. We needed a couple of JUCO's at LB last year IMO, and we didn't go out and get any. That hurt us big time IMO.
    Holy hell your reasoning is incredible. We watched Brackens play a whole year, Miller played and Knott played, but you aren't real sure because you haven't seen enough. Meanwhile we are really excited about 2 safeties that haven't seen more that some special teams work.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by Sloup View Post
    If we've learned anything during the Paul Rhoads era, it's that defense alone doesn't win in the Big XII. The Cyclones had as good a defense as any team in the league in 2012 and barely got to a bowl game.

I'm not worried about the defense because, frankly, it doesn't matter that much. Rhoads and Burnham have shown us they can produce a quality defense with relatively little talent. If the new offensive coaches can take advantage of the best talent in the CPR era, Rhoads will be able to build this young defense enough to compete with the top of the league within the next couple years.
    You mean the one that gave up over 400 yards in the Liberty Bowl to Tulsa, 300+ on the ground? I just wish that for once our defense could even give a hint that they can stop the run consistently.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,390
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Hoping for a Top 80 defense and a Top 70 offense. Better than last year.
    We are capable if being top 50 in both areas.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 151

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    We are capable if being top 50 in both areas.
    This is simply not going to happen. Offense maybe... but I think it's terribly unrealistic to assume the defense is capable of jumping into the top 50 after a season where they were one of the worst in college football. Lost too many players, and the front seven will struggle. Plus the fact they are going to be matched up against some high scoring offenses. I think it's crazy to think top 50 is realistic.

Then again I suppose every team is "capable" of doing anything. Maybe you're an extreme optimist. I think top 80 would be a step in the right direction as Wesley previously suggested.

"Crack a smile, drink it down, it's the cleanest around."

Yours Truly,

Ames Water

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by Section110 View Post
    This is simply not going to happen. Offense maybe... but I think it's terribly unrealistic to assume the defense is capable of jumping into the top 50 after a season where they were one of the worst in college football. Lost too many players, and the front seven will struggle. Plus the fact they are going to be matched up against some high scoring offenses. I think it's crazy to think top 50 is realistic.

Then again I suppose every team is "capable" of doing anything. Maybe you're an extreme optimist. I think top 80 would be a step in the right direction as Wesley previously suggested.
    Wasn't it just last year that Iowa had unknowns in their Defensive Line and it was expected to be a weakness? Those unknowns performed well and now return and the Defensive Line is considered to be their greatest strength.

We actually have some good returners to the Defensive Line and some good newcomers. IMO, they will be more than serviceable. We have had much worse DL's in the past with even less depth.

And our Defensive Line prospects are certainly much better than the Hawkeye Linebacking prospects. They lose all their starters. And have little depth and experience. They are just lucky to have such a weak schedule.