Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 173

Re: Proposed CIML Split

Quote Originally Posted by cloneswereall View Post
    Or instead of splitting public schools in cities with more than one HS, you make Valley split. You're not going to get a school district to split the classifications they're in for athletics. With a class split like this, you're dividing the school districts of Sioux City, Waterloo, and Des Moines into different classes.
    You can't force a school district to build a new high school. Why in the world would you think that anybody has the power to do that?

Class 5A would split school districts into different classes, but my example would have 5A with four 6-team districts and 4A with six 6-team districts, meaning that all of those schools would have four slots on their schedule every year for non-district games like SC North vs. East and West, W'loo West vs. East, and the DSM area schools could rotate playing one another based on who they actually wanted to play. If DSM East knows they aren't competitive and would rather schedule Indianola than Ankeny, then they would have the ability to do so. Solves both problems at once.

Last edited by CyFan61; 07-10-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 218

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    People from small schools dropping out of ISU because "it's too big" is the equivalency of athletes transferring "to be closer to home."
    It happens, though. I had several classmates that were swallowed up at Iowa and Iowa State. It's a big leap to make if you're coming from a class of less than a hundred.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 673
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    One guy can make a basketball team one guy cannot make a football team. I think schools are doing a huge disservice to their students when they have too high of class size. High school is a great place to try lots of new things. In real big schools kids would have to specialize real early to get the opportunity to just get on the field. I am not trying to say every kid is special snowflake but they should at least have the chance to be a kid and be exposed to lots of opportunities.
    I completely agree with all of this, but I'm not sure it answers the question. If the argument is "Valley has 900 kids to pick from and Indianola only has 400", wouldn't that same logic apply to basketball? Out of a group of 900, wouldn't there be a greater chance of have 5 kids that excel at basketball? I understand you don't need the same numbers in basketball as football, but the argument is relative. With that many more kids, surely they will be able to field X amount of players that are better than ours.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I completely agree with all of this, but I'm not sure it answers the question. If the argument is "Valley has 900 kids to pick from and Indianola only has 400", wouldn't that same logic apply to basketball? Out of a group of 900, wouldn't there be a greater chance of have 5 kids that excel at basketball? I understand you don't need the same numbers in basketball as football, but the argument is relative. With that many more kids, surely they will be able to field X amount of players that are better than ours.
    IMO here is what is happening in the schools you are mentioning. They have had football success. They are huge and their is a lot of competition for PT on the football team. A kid can't focus on basketball because all efforts need to be spent to get or maintain the position on the football team(weights, drills, 7 on 7, camps, etc.). This eliminates the selection pool for the basketball squad. Basketball is a sport that requires less of the weights and that junk. So in other schools you can have more multi sport kids ready to bolster your hoops team. My guess is you will see a collation in large schools with football success and a lack of basketball success.

Smoke um if you got um

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 270

Quote Originally Posted by jbindm View Post
    It happens, though. I had several classmates that were swallowed up at Iowa and Iowa State. It's a big leap to make if you're coming from a class of less than a hundred.
    I guess. My class was 28, and was the largest in 15 years. My whole hometown could have easily fit in Maple, where I lived my first semester.

I guess I shouldn't say it doesn't happen, but a lot of times, it is grade (or beer) related.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 154

There have been plenty of kids that came from large school high schools that drop out of large universities as well. College is a big adjustment no matter where you come from

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    I guess. My class was 28, and was the largest in 15 years. My whole hometown could have easily fit in Maple, where I lived my first semester.

I guess I shouldn't say it doesn't happen, but a lot of times, it is grade (or beer) related.
    Completely agree. It's more motivation and time management issues than size of the school. There were 9500 students where I went to college. I knew people from small towns and huge schools in the twin cities that used the "too big" excuse for a not very big school. They had one thing in common, none of them went to class ever.

But I will agree that there are kids out there that just can't be away from their home towns even if it is only a 4-5 year stint in college. I think that is a combination of fear of change and trying to hang on to a status they had in high school which means nothing at college.

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

It blows me away that Des Moines Lincoln and East can't compete with Southeast Polk? When I went to Southeast Polk, our varsity football team had 19 people. We weren't in the CIML yet. We played:

DM East
    Indianola
    Urbandale
    Ankeny
    Newton
    Mason City
    South Tama

Who remembers the name of that confernece and who all was in it. Damn I'm old. Can't remember anything.

I used to be cool. Now... I secretly listen to Abba in my car.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 218

Quote Originally Posted by Althetuna View Post
    It blows me away that Des Moines Lincoln and East can't compete with Southeast Polk? When I went to Southeast Polk, our varsity football team had 19 people. We weren't in the CIML yet. We played:

DM East
    Indianola
    Urbandale
    Ankeny
    Newton
    Mason City
    South Tama

Who remembers the name of that confernece and who all was in it. Damn I'm old. Can't remember anything.
    SE Polk's athletic department salary total for 2012-13 - $557,000
    Lincoln and East's athletic department salary total (COMBINED) - $612,000

When one school is nearly outpacing two others combined, you have a spending gap that is going to lend itself to creating a conference of haves and have nots. That's not the only reason why they can't compete anymore, but it's a huge contributing factor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Yea, that was also 16 years ago when their enrollment was for 9-11 was 1779. Quite a bit different when the current school year was 2190 for 9-11.
    What's your point? The school board isn't going to force a second high school on a community that doesn't want it, and the state can't force them to split up. Throw into the mix the WDM school system is in a financial bind and cutting about 3 million dollars from their budget over the next couple of years and there is no way they are going to consider an second high school.

http://www.kcci.com/news/district-co...896314#!bcsjrW

Splitting up Valley isn't going to solve anything for the 8 schools that want to break off from the CIML.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

DM East
    Indianola
    Urbandale
    Ankeny
    Newton
    Mason City
    South Tama

Was it the CIC - Central Iowa Conference? Isn't that where SEP was prior to the CIML?

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,619
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    What's your point? The school board isn't going to force a second high school on a community that doesn't want it, and the state can't force them to split up. Throw into the mix the WDM school system is in a financial bind and cutting about 3 million dollars from their budget over the next couple of years and there is no way they are going to consider an second high school.

http://www.kcci.com/news/district-co...896314#!bcsjrW

Splitting up Valley isn't going to solve anything for the 8 schools that want to break off from the CIML.
    My point is that Valley parents were idiotic 16 years ago, if the same vote was brought up today I wouldn't be surprised if they would pass a second HS, and a school that large in Iowa is absurd.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 469
    Given: 240

My point is that Valley parents were idiotic 16 years ago, if the same vote was brought up today I wouldn't be surprised if they would pass a second HS, and a school that large in Iowa is absurd.
    Hater.

the poster formerly known as chamakhattack

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 206

DM East
    Indianola
    Urbandale
    Ankeny
    Newton
    Mason City
    South Tama

Was East a part of that? Down at Central in the gym, they have the crests of the high schools in an old league and it's the 5 dm schools, dm tech, Valley, and dowling. Plus East would have probably been a lot larger then any of those schools

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 520
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 396
    Given: 224

It doesn't really matter cuz dowling beats them in everything. And how is dowling allowed to recruit players to go there.

BDK
    Cyclone state