Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 975
    Given: 520

Re: Proposed CIML Split

Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    They were god awful at basketball, which I don't understand.
    Think Iowa Hoks basketball.

Rhoads out!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,032
    Given: 1,470

Quote Originally Posted by cloneswereall View Post
    Or instead of splitting public schools in cities with more than one HS, you make Valley split. You're not going to get a school district to split the classifications they're in for athletics. With a class split like this, you're dividing the school districts of Sioux City, Waterloo, and Des Moines into different classes.
    Valley's not splitting. They just put ridiculous amounts of money into expanding/renovating their building.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,186
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    Valley's not splitting. They just put ridiculous amounts of money into expanding/renovating their building.
    And you're not going to get a complete school district to divide the class sizes they're in for athletics. Valley is the problem school. Their enrollment is roughly 500 students more than the second largest school in the state.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by cloneswereall View Post
    And you're not going to get a complete school district to divide the class sizes they're in for athletics. Valley is the problem school. Their enrollment is roughly 500 students more than the second largest school in the state.
    And with all those extra kids, Valley hasn't won a state championship since 2011 (Boys Golf & Football).

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/io...ps/#all-sports

As previously stated, WDM Public Schools voted in 1998 to either expand Southwoods to a full 2nd high school, or expand Valley and keep one high school. The keeping one high school won by a landslide.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 928
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 232

When has Waukee announced that they are building a 2nd high school? I know that there will be demand for one, but this is the first I've heard on the topic. The most I can find on their site is that Waukee is investing in a CAPS program (similar to Central Campus for DM School District). I am waiting for the day that the bubble bursts in the Waukee school district and the families that live in that area of Clive/Urbandale just east of Alice's Road/Dallas County area are told that their kids will have to go to WDM/Urbandale schools since that's the neighborhood they live in.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Have you heard where that HS will be? I've heard out in the Jordan Creek area but I have no idea if that's official or not. Hope so cause I live in that area and my kids are young but taking them all the way to Waukee someday would suck.
    The original plan was on LaGrant Parkway in Waukee across from the new Timberline School, however that land is going to become a housing development. Everything I've heard is always been in Waukee, but like you I wish it was near Jordan Creek since I live really close. The reality of the situation is even if it is built in WDM, kids will still be transported to Waukee for grades 6-9.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,047
    Given: 11

Valley's basketball team does throw a bit of an interesting wrinkle into this argument. If the argument by the smaller schools is they cant compete with the size, talent pool and resources of the Valley/Dowling's of the world, why is it their basketball teams aren't that good? I suppose the idea is that even a school like Indianola can drum up 7 guys who can play basketball, and football you need 25+ to be good. However, you'd still think that the "talent pool" would win out in a sport like basketball at the bigger schools as it seems to in football...

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    When has Waukee announced that they are building a 2nd high school? I know that there will be demand for one, but this is the first I've heard on the topic. The most I can find on their site is that Waukee is investing in a CAPS program (similar to Central Campus for DM School District). I am waiting for the day that the bubble bursts in the Waukee school district and the families that live in that area of Clive/Urbandale just east of Alice's Road/Dallas County area are told that their kids will have to go to WDM/Urbandale schools since that's the neighborhood they live in.
    The new school has been on the drawing board for at least 5 years. At the 6/9 board meeting they went into closed session to discuss land purchase for a second high school. The plan is to start building the 2nd high school right after opening the new 8-9 building. The CAPS program is not a second high school.

Waukee is building another elementary school on the north side of the district not too far from the area you are talking about of Alice's Road to handle the additional growth anticipated over the next several years. Once the new 8-9 building opens up in 2015, much of the space problems will be resolved in grades K-9 since the middle schools will go back to being 6th-7th grade, and Prairieview and Timberline will be 8th-9th grade.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,859
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 975
    Given: 520

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    Why would Waukee tell them that?

Rhoads out!

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 608
    Given: 327

[QUOTE=Clonefan32;4090114]As an Indianola native, I'm so conflicted with this. They aren't too far removed from have multiple top-5 basketball teams. However, the last 10 years have not been enjoyable watching them get their ***** kicked in nearly every sport. Also, they are a part of the 4A softball division and have been highly competitive against similarly sized schools.

Part of me feels like it boils down to laziness on the AD's part. Rather than ensuring that competent coaches are hired he'd rather stoop down a level. Not sure what message that teaches high school aged kids-- if you aren't good enough rather than working hard at making yourself better just lower your expectations.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just a matter of being pragmatic. The schools considering splitting off cannot compete financially with the other schools, and the gap is only getting wider. Ankeny's athletic department payroll was triple that of Des Moines Hoover's in 2012-2013. (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...g-in/11640649/)

To hang around and try to compete on that uneven of a playing field that's steadily getting more lopsided isn't working hard or sticking to it; it's beating your head against a wall.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Valley's basketball team does throw a bit of an interesting wrinkle into this argument. If the argument by the smaller schools is they cant compete with the size, talent pool and resources of the Valley/Dowling's of the world, why is it their basketball teams aren't that good? I suppose the idea is that even a school like Indianola can drum up 7 guys who can play basketball, and football you need 25+ to be good. However, you'd still think that the "talent pool" would win out in a sport like basketball at the bigger schools as it seems to in football...
    One guy can make a basketball team one guy cannot make a football team. I think schools are doing a huge disservice to their students when they have too high of class size. High school is a great place to try lots of new things. In real big schools kids would have to specialize real early to get the opportunity to just get on the field. I am not trying to say every kid is special snowflake but they should at least have the chance to be a kid and be exposed to lots of opportunities.

Smoke um if you got um

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 392

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    ... There were a ton, A TON, of people I met that dropped out because ISU was too big and they couldn't handle it. These people were coming from the Baxter's and Andrew High Schools of Iowa. Small 20 or less graduating classes.
    People from small schools dropping out of ISU because "it's too big" is the equivalency of athletes transferring "to be closer to home."

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 928
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 232

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerclone View Post
    Why would Waukee tell them that?
    There is so much more growth potential for new housing developments actually in Waukee-proper that without expansion of the current HS/school district the capacity wouldn't be there for students to attend Waukee that actually live in Waukee. This is YEARS down the road, but the signs are there that if the school district doesn't expand drastically the neighborhoods I mentioned would be the ones that could be impacted.

But this is all a moot point, since Three4Cy's post clarified things.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 608
    Given: 327

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    One guy can make a basketball team one guy cannot make a football team. I think schools are doing a huge disservice to their students when they have too high of class size. High school is a great place to try lots of new things. In real big schools kids would have to specialize real early to get the opportunity to just get on the field. I am not trying to say every kid is special snowflake but they should at least have the chance to be a kid and be exposed to lots of opportunities.
    Right on. I graduated from a small Iowa high school with a graduating class of 36. My son (assuming we stay put) will go to Roosevelt. In a small high school, kids play multiple sports not only to fill the hours, but to fill out rosters. It's odd to me to think that my kid might have to pick one sport by junior high if he hopes to eventually get any minutes on the varsity team.

Last edited by jbindm; 07-10-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,186
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    And with all those extra kids, Valley hasn't won a state championship since 2011 (Boys Golf & Football).

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/io...ps/#all-sports

As previously stated, WDM Public Schools voted in 1998 to either expand Southwoods to a full 2nd high school, or expand Valley and keep one high school. The keeping one high school won by a landslide.
    Yea, that was also 16 years ago when their enrollment was for 9-11 was 1779. Quite a bit different when the current school year was 2190 for 9-11.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.