Proposed CIML Split - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 166
  1. #91
    All-Star
    Points: 18,261, Level: 41
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,914
    Points
    18,261
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddykane View Post
    That link has Waukee at 726 kids (9-12), and BEDS has them at 1518 (9-11). I can guarantee your link is wrong. I have kids in the Waukee schools, and their classes are around 550+ kids per class. They had 473 graduate this year, meaning grades 9-11 had a total of 253 kids or 84 per class, not even close.



  2. #92
    Pro
    Points: 64,336, Level: 78
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,832
    Points
    64,336
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 297

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Certified Enrollment by District, according to the State of Iowa. They break it down by grade (PK through 12), race and gender. The data goes back to the 1996-1997 school year. And it does look like Ames numbers have been declining.

    https://www.educateiowa.gov/document...vel-enrollment


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  3. #93
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 20,000, Level: 43
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class3 months registered10000 Experience PointsSocial
    bigdaddykane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,808
    Points
    20,000
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 477

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    Certified Enrollment by District, according to the State of Iowa. They break it down by grade (PK through 12), race and gender. The data goes back to the 1996-1997 school year. And it does look like Ames numbers have been declining.

    https://www.educateiowa.gov/document...vel-enrollment
    yeah by ~500 kids but the k class has 402 the most out of all, so maybe the class sizes will be bigger moving forward.


    BDK
    Cyclone state

  4. #94
    Addict
    Points: 109,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,490
    Points
    109,349
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 331

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Problem is it would be Valley and 5 other schools in that class. If you move 12 schools up to a 5A then you have to move X amount up to 4A and you have the same problem.
    This. The only reason the girls went to five classes was because that means the Union can rake in a ton more money during volleyball, basketball, and softball playoffs.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  5. #95
    Starter
    Points: 16,267, Level: 38
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    TigerCyJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Polk County, IA
    Posts
    987
    Points
    16,267
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 3

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Valley's enrollment is flatlining, hasn't grown in like 10 years. I think those numbers may also be including the alternative school, because the graduating class from VHS this year was like 620.



  6. #96
    Addict
    Points: 109,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,490
    Points
    109,349
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 331

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    Valley's enrollment is flatlining, hasn't grown in like 10 years. I think those numbers may also be including the alternative school, because the graduating class from VHS this year was like 620.
    This, too. Valley stopped growing a long time ago. Waukee is nearly as big and is still skyrocketing. I think I heard they've got something like 800-900 kids per class down in their elementary schools. That's enormous.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  7. #97
    All-Star
    Points: 18,261, Level: 41
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,914
    Points
    18,261
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    This, too. Valley stopped growing a long time ago. Waukee is nearly as big and is still skyrocketing. I think I heard they've got something like 800-900 kids per class down in their elementary schools. That's enormous.
    Waukee is growing, but all the kids who are starting in kindergarten will be in separate high schools. The 2nd high school will be online in 4-5 years. Waukee is currently in the process of securing land for the second high school. Current kindergarten classes are about 750 kids district wide.



  8. #98
    Walk On
    Points: 5,791, Level: 22
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ElephantPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    173
    Points
    5,791
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 20

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    From the way it's explained in this article from the DMR, it appears the split is coming and it is only a matter of which side Indianola chooses.



  9. #99
    Addict
    Points: 139,909, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCyclones2015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ames via Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    6,148
    Points
    139,909
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 679
    Given: 199

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    How about we just get rid of conferences all together in High School sports? They're such a waste of time and resources.
    History, convience, and money are a few reasons why. Especially for hese money bleeding sports (all of them except Fooball/Boys Bball). You have to have conferencs forthe sake of scheduling, you try to get with competitive schools in your general area and that saves you money.

    Quote Originally Posted by FDWxMan View Post
    Leaving sports out of it, I can't imagine how you can argue 700+ per class is very helpful/effective/practical/fair or about a dozen other adjectives.
    Coming from a school with that size roughly (2400 total) and friends that have been to larger and been to smaller. I'll take the bigger all day every day. The amount of resources to hire the best teachers, get the best tools, the involvement, you can be as big or as small as you want and no one will care. The arts and music departments are amazing (if you're into that). Because of the size, it prepared me for college at a big university. There were a ton, A TON, of people I met that dropped out because ISU was too big and they couldn't handle it. These people were coming from the Baxter's and Andrew High Schools of Iowa. Small 20 or less graduating classes.


    Last edited by ISUCyclones2015; 07-10-2014 at 10:27 AM.


  10. #100
    All-Star
    Points: 13,487, Level: 35
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    WooClone15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wooster, OH
    Posts
    1,510
    Points
    13,487
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 382

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    My son played football from 5th to 8th grade, and they were pretty competitive, but they seem to really struggle with numbers once it hits high school. Not sure if it is a coach thing or just the extra commitment required,, but most kids seem to drop out at that point.
    I think a lot of it goes back to a lack of success by the team. I went to Hoover (never played football), but I think the situation's probably similar. The football team's bad and you don't want to get killed every game so you don't join the team. Because not a lot of kids are on the team, you don't have the depth necessary to be successful so you lose a lot, which means kids don't join the team. It just keeps feeding on itself.

    I'm also disappointed that the football divisions will be staying the way they are. Some great historical rivalries got broken up when they went to districts, and I wish they would go back to having all the city schools play each other in football.



  11. #101
    Addict
    Points: 178,132, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,381
    Points
    178,132
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,616
    Given: 421

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Problem is it would be Valley and 5 other schools in that class. If you move 12 schools up to a 5A then you have to move X amount up to 4A and you have the same problem.
    Right now it's:

    4A = 46
    3A = 56
    2A = 56
    1A = 56
    A / 8-man = remaining schools at their option (126 total)

    And in 4A alone, the most recent BEDS number that I could find with a Google search show largest size 2,036 to smallest 702. Nearly 3x as many from the top to the bottom.

    If you adjusted the classes like this:

    5A = 24
    4A = 36
    3A = 48
    2A = 56
    1A = 56
    A / 8-man = remaining schools at their option (120 total)

    The 5A enrollment split would go from 2,036 to 1,019, and 4A now from 998 to 475. So you're going from a 3x top-to-bottom to a 2x in both classes.

    Just because I'm on this now, 5A would have four districts of six teams each... Here's a shot at them:

    West:
    DSM Roosevelt
    Johnston
    Sioux City North
    Waukee
    WDSM Dowling
    WDSM Valley

    West Central:
    Cedar Falls
    DSM East
    DSM Lincoln
    Marshalltown
    SE Polk
    Waterloo West

    East Central:
    CR Jefferson
    CR Kennedy
    CR Washington
    Iowa City High
    Iowa City West
    Linn-Mar

    East:
    Bettendorf
    Davenport Central
    Davenport West
    Dubuque Hempstead
    Dubuque Senior
    Muscatine

    You could flip some of the DSM-area schools between those two districts for competitive balance if you wanted.

    Here is the document I used for enrollment figures.


    Last edited by CyFan61; 07-10-2014 at 11:55 AM.

  12. #102
    Addict
    Points: 162,488, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,285
    Points
    162,488
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,048
    Given: 11

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by ElephantPie View Post
    From the way it's explained in this article from the DMR, it appears the split is coming and it is only a matter of which side Indianola chooses.
    As an Indianola native, I'm so conflicted with this. They aren't too far removed from have multiple top-5 basketball teams. However, the last 10 years have not been enjoyable watching them get their ***** kicked in nearly every sport. Also, they are a part of the 4A softball division and have been highly competitive against similarly sized schools.


    Part of me feels like it boils down to laziness on the AD's part. Rather than ensuring that competent coaches are hired he'd rather stoop down a level. Not sure what message that teaches high school aged kids-- if you aren't good enough rather than working hard at making yourself better just lower your expectations.



  13. #103
    Legend
    Points: 170,142, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,871
    Points
    170,142
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,046

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    Waukee is growing, but all the kids who are starting in kindergarten will be in separate high schools. The 2nd high school will be online in 4-5 years. Waukee is currently in the process of securing land for the second high school. Current kindergarten classes are about 750 kids district wide.
    Have you heard where that HS will be? I've heard out in the Jordan Creek area but I have no idea if that's official or not. Hope so cause I live in that area and my kids are young but taking them all the way to Waukee someday would suck.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  14. #104
    Starter
    Points: 20,855, Level: 44
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    BringBackJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    805
    Points
    20,855
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    I think this is one of the best ideas for HS sports I have seen since moving to C-IA. There is not the parity out here in sports that there seems to be in other places in IA. The important thing with HS Sports is for kids to compete and try to compete on a fair level. If I was a HS kid at a DSM school. I would be all fore this new conference because I would have a better chance to compete.


    Smoke um if you got um

  15. #105
    Pro
    Points: 68,564, Level: 81
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,186
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cloneswereall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,363
    Points
    68,564
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 5

    Re: Proposed CIML Split

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Right now it's:

    4A = 46
    3A = 56
    2A = 56
    1A = 56
    A / 8-man = remaining schools at their option (126 total)

    And in 4A alone, the most recent BEDS number that I could find with a Google search show largest size 2,036 to smallest 702. Nearly 3x as many from the top to the bottom.

    If you adjusted the classes like this:

    5A = 24
    4A = 36
    3A = 48
    2A = 56
    1A = 56
    A / 8-man = remaining schools at their option (120 total)

    The 5A enrollment split would go from 2,036 to 1,019, and 4A now from 998 to 475. So you're going from a 3x top-to-bottom to a 2x in both classes.

    Just because I'm on this now, 5A would have four districts of six teams each... Here's a shot at them:

    West:
    DSM Roosevelt
    Johnston
    Sioux City North
    Waukee
    WDSM Dowling
    WDSM Valley

    West Central:
    Cedar Falls
    DSM East
    DSM Lincoln
    Marshalltown
    SE Polk
    Waterloo West

    East Central:
    CR Jefferson
    CR Kennedy
    CR Washington
    Iowa City High
    Iowa City West
    Linn-Mar

    East:
    Bettendorf
    Davenport Central
    Davenport West
    Dubuque Hempstead
    Dubuque Senior
    Muscatine

    You could flip some of the DSM-area schools between those two districts for competitive balance if you wanted.

    Here is the document I used for enrollment figures.
    Or instead of splitting public schools in cities with more than one HS, you make Valley split. You're not going to get a school district to split the classifications they're in for athletics. With a class split like this, you're dividing the school districts of Sioux City, Waterloo, and Des Moines into different classes.


    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM