Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 30,794, Level: 53
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    tzjung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    994
    Points
    30,794
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 123

    CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Hadn't seen this posted yet. Similar to the ESPN college coach countdown, but it is the CBS MBB writers 'Drafting' basketball coaches.

    "Dreamy" comes in at #9. For what its worth, this list seems MUCH more accurate than the ESPN one.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...lead-your-team



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 83,698, Level: 89
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Ciclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    3,085
    Points
    83,698
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 205

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by tzjung View Post
    Hadn't seen this posted yet. Similar to the ESPN college coach countdown, but it is the CBS MBB writers 'Drafting' basketball coaches.

    "Dreamy" comes in at #9. For what its worth, this list seems MUCH more accurate than the ESPN one.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...lead-your-team
    twocoach will be the judge of that...


    "I'm the one who knocks."

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,587, Level: 68
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    DandyCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,667
    Points
    49,587
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,427
    Given: 551

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    I'm not surprised Jon Rothstein was the guy who ended up choosing Hoiberg. Rothstein loves him some Hoiberg.

    Also, Calipari won at UMass and Memphis and was caught with multiple recruiting violations after he left those programs. When is the NCAA going to realize it's probably happening at Kentucky too?


    Last edited by DandyCyclone; 06-25-2014 at 02:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 246,461, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    17,623
    Points
    246,461
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 937
    Given: 851

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    I don't like Rothstein's pick of Miller with Arizona, but love his Freddy pick obviously.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 110,127, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,826
    Points
    110,127
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 244

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by tzjung View Post
    Hadn't seen this posted yet. Similar to the ESPN college coach countdown, but it is the CBS MBB writers 'Drafting' basketball coaches.

    "Dreamy" comes in at #9. For what its worth, this list seems MUCH more accurate than the ESPN one.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...lead-your-team
    I don't understand. How does one rate accuracy of subjective lists with made with (apparently) different criteria.

    Of course I like the CBS list because it rates Fred higher, but I couldn't tell anyone it's more "accurate" with a straight face.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 31,210, Level: 54
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    abe2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    State Center, IA
    Posts
    1,290
    Points
    31,210
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 40

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    I'm not surprised Jon Rothstein was the guy who ended up choosing Hoibeg. Rothstein loves him some Hoiberg.

    Also, Calipari won at UMass and Memphis and was caught with multiple recruiting violations after he left those programs. When is the NCAA going to realize it's probably happening at Kentucky too?
    as soon as Kentucky isn't a blue blood program



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 100,565, Level: 98
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,217
    Points
    100,565
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 488
    Given: 29

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    There's a difference. CBS lists coaches they'd want leading a program. Basically who would you want to hire. ESPN lists coaches based on their results. Different criteria. Both are interesting. Both are pretty accurate.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 30,794, Level: 53
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    tzjung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    994
    Points
    30,794
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 123

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    There's a difference. CBS lists coaches they'd want leading a program. Basically who would you want to hire. ESPN lists coaches based on their results. Different criteria. Both are interesting. Both are pretty accurate.
    Really...Mad Fran in the top 25 for ESPN is accurate? If you say so....



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 100,565, Level: 98
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,217
    Points
    100,565
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 488
    Given: 29

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Mad Fran was 33. I guess I should specify that the list was mostly accurate. I would have had mad Fran a bit lower and hoiberg at 12 or 13.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 212,574, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,839
    Points
    212,574
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 402

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by tzjung View Post
    Hadn't seen this posted yet. Similar to the ESPN college coach countdown, but it is the CBS MBB writers 'Drafting' basketball coaches.

    "Dreamy" comes in at #9. For what its worth, this list seems MUCH more accurate than the ESPN one.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...lead-your-team
    I like how 90% of the comments are just a coaches name followed by exclamation points.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 37,593, Level: 59
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cincyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,838
    Points
    37,593
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 324

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Good little write-up from Rothstein:

    Why him?
    No one gave Iowa State a thought five years ago. Today? The Cyclones are coming off three straight appearances in the NCAA Tournament and a Sweet 16 trip last March. Many wondered how Hoiberg would do when he returned to his alma mater in 2010 with zero head coaching experience, but he's quickly dismissed all doubters. "The Mayor" is as good an X's and O's coach as there is in college basketball and gives his players the freedom they so desperately crave on the offensive end. He treats his players like they're professionals, and that's something you don't see at most college programs. Another thing to like about Hoiberg? He's proven he can build a program through unconventional methods. Iowa State has taken 12 transfers since Hoiberg's arrival four years ago, but he's also quietly doing a good job with kids out of high school as well. Georges Niang should be in for an All-Big 12 first-team type season as a junior. Monte Morris led the nation in assist-turnover ratio as a freshman last year. There's only one type of trajectory right now in Ames -- upward. -- Rothstein



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 106,498, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    8,814
    Points
    106,498
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,898
    Given: 119

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    I'm not surprised Jon Rothstein was the guy who ended up choosing Hoiberg. Rothstein loves him some Hoiberg.

    Also, Calipari won at UMass and Memphis and was caught with multiple recruiting violations after he left those programs. When is the NCAA going to realize it's probably happening at Kentucky too?
    The media loves Cal. There will be a point where the NCAA will say "ok Cal, you're not giving us much of a choice" and will has to start an investigation. At that point Cal leaves and the media talks about how it's just a weird coincidence that last three schools he was at ended up getting sanctions. Or they'll just not talk about it at all.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 14,963, Level: 37
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,117
    Points
    14,963
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    I'm not surprised Jon Rothstein was the guy who ended up choosing Hoiberg. Rothstein loves him some Hoiberg.

    Also, Calipari won at UMass and Memphis and was caught with multiple recruiting violations after he left those programs. When is the NCAA going to realize it's probably happening at Kentucky too?
    Sorry to bring up old info, but I've read similar posts to this before but my memory eludes me. If he was caught with violations at both programs, what were the penalties? And if he just keeps on winning at Kentucky, they obviously didn't affect his career or future success any. If they would find more, seems it wouldn't really matter in the long run. Just curious.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 732,944, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    48,588
    Points
    732,944
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,866
    Given: 881

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Cincyclone View Post
    Good little write-up from Rothstein:

    Why him?
    No one gave Iowa State a thought five years ago. Today? The Cyclones are coming off three straight appearances in the NCAA Tournament and a Sweet 16 trip last March. Many wondered how Hoiberg would do when he returned to his alma mater in 2010 with zero head coaching experience, but he's quickly dismissed all doubters. "The Mayor" is as good an X's and O's coach as there is in college basketball and gives his players the freedom they so desperately crave on the offensive end. He treats his players like they're professionals, and that's something you don't see at most college programs. Another thing to like about Hoiberg? He's proven he can build a program through unconventional methods. Iowa State has taken 12 transfers since Hoiberg's arrival four years ago, but he's also quietly doing a good job with kids out of high school as well. Georges Niang should be in for an All-Big 12 first-team type season as a junior. Monte Morris led the nation in assist-turnover ratio as a freshman last year. There's only one type of trajectory right now in Ames -- upward. -- Rothstein
    I love that summary!



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 258,803, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,048
    Points
    258,803
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 675

    Re: CBS Drafts NCAA MBB Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    I'm not surprised Jon Rothstein was the guy who ended up choosing Hoiberg. Rothstein loves him some EVERYBODY.

    Also, Calipari won at UMass and Memphis and was caught with multiple recruiting violations after he left those programs. When is the NCAA going to realize it's probably happening at Kentucky too?
    FIFY



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM