Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 1,098

Re: Dick Haws recent thoughts on Bubu Palo

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Isn't there a case pending that goes to trial in July?
    Um not against isu or bor?

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    That's a very idealistic view. Leath's job is to do what is best for the university overall, correct? Including national media. Yes, fairness is important, but nobody in the national media is going to care (no offense) if Joe Averagestudent is kicked off the Agronomy Club. Sports are pretty much the only reason why we know about individual college students on a national stage - so they are going to be the ones who get press when they do something noteworthy. It is avoiding a black eye to ISU to avoid the embarrassment of a Pierre Pierce situation.
    I agree with what you are saying. However, the supreme court has said that all students at public institutions are entitled to due process in regards to discipline. Hence, he has a duty to provide due process and that includes fairly applying the rules to all students equally. The reality was he acted to protect the institution (which is his job) and I think he was right to do so. I think he erred in the way he did it an it does sound like he got pretty poor legal advice in this regard.

The bigger issue we should be talking about is if Haws statement is true and Leath really believed Bubu physically and sexually assaulted this woman how could he not expel him or apply any other action to protect fellow students? Why would he let him be at ISU camps for kids?

I have always had a problem with this middle ground PR decision as it screams that he didn't think he did it but didn't want the bad PR of having him out there. It seemed inconceivable to me he would really keep an actual guy he believed to be a rapist as an unrestricted student. That, if true, is far more damning than unfairly treating an athlete. He created a lose - lose situation when he tried to walk the line with a half assed decision.

Last edited by IAStubborn; 06-25-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Why isn't Palo suing ISU and the BOR? Weren't a number of those court costs incurred appealing ISU/BOR decisions? Here's one scenario: as I mentioned yesterday, this information will eventually come out by public records request. Secondly, there are huge legal bills. The purpose of this lawsuit is to release the details and put as good a spin on them as possible, and to try to get some money back. Palo knows he has no case against ISU and BOR, thus they are not named. The original accuser has credibility issues because of the torn shirt debacle, so they figure they might have a chance in a civil trial to win a jury judgement against her.
    Public records don't apply to confidential student files including student discipline. This seems like a ferpa issue and a leak like this would be a clear violation.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 774
    Given: 3,115

Quote Originally Posted by IAStubborn View Post
    I agree with what you are saying. However, the supreme court has said that all students at public institutions are entitled to due process in regards to discipline. Hence, he has a duty to provide due process and that includes fairly applying the rules to all students equally. The reality was he acted to protect the institution (which is his job) and I think he was right to do so. I think he erred in the way he did it an it does sound like he got pretty poor legal advice in this regard.

The bigger issue we should be talking about is if Haws statement is true and Leath really believed Bubu physically and sexually assaulted this woman how could he not expel him or apply any other action to protect fellow students? Why would he let him be at ISU camps for kids?

I have always had a problem with this middle ground PR decision as it screams that he didn't think he did it but didn't want the bad PR of having him out there. It seemed inconceivable to me he would really keep an actual guy he believed to be a rapist as an unrestricted student. That, if true, is far more damning than unfairly treating an athlete. He created a lose - lose situation when he tried to walk the line with a half assed decision.
    I think you nailed my issue with the situation - I think the decision was either too harsh or too soft, there's no in-between. But I do think it was a PR move.

M 7/09

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,650
    Given: 2,128

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Um not against isu or bor?
    Eh, my bad. I read it too fast...and comprehension suffered.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 390

I think you nailed my issue with the situation - I think the decision was either too harsh or too soft, there's no in-between. But I do think it was a PR move.
    So do a lot of other people. Leath gave a late guilty/not guilty decision. Yet Africa was calling. Probably screwed up.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 1,098

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    So do a lot of other people. Leath gave a late guilty/not guilty decision. Yet Africa was calling. Probably screwed up.
    Bubu's lawyer agreed to the timetable.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 774
    Given: 3,115

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I think he made the smart move for the university's publicity, and I don't think it had much to do with Africa - it just probably wasn't the best move overall as far as safety (if Bubu did it) or justice (if he didn't).

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 13

I think he made the smart move for the university's publicity, and I don't think it had much to do with Africa - it just probably wasn't the best move overall as far as safety (if Bubu did it) or justice (if he didn't).
    I agree Leath tried to make a middle of the road decision that might have originally been best for university p.r., but then he undid it and then some with his very public statements against BuBu. And I'd still like somebody to explain to me how Leath can say he basically agrees with the findings of the ALJ (that there was insufficient evidence to show a student code violation), but then say he disagrees with the ALJ's application of the ruling and reverse it. Isn't that a contradiction?