Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 60

Re: So Who is on JP's list to replace CPR?

Should something awful happen to CPR, and I hope nothing does, Mark Mangino should be at the top of JP's list of replacements.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    No **** Sherlock. Never said It was just Rhoads. And there sure as **** been more to cheer about in Rhoads five years here than in the past. Stop coming off as stupid.
    Mac won 7+ games 5 times. He was just as boisterous and animated as CPR on the sidelines. He had us far closer to a B12 title than CPR has or likely will. Only difference is JP is a phenomenal AD and has really grown ISU athletics. JP is a god send.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 1,248

Quote Originally Posted by cytown View Post
    Mac won 7+ games 5 times. He was just as boisterous and animated as CPR on the sidelines. He had us far closer to a B12 title than CPR has or likely will. Only difference is JP is a phenomenal AD and has really grown ISU athletics. JP is a god send.
    Dmac couldn't get us over the hump against a terrible big twelve north and not having to play the big boys every year. Look I liked DMac, but to not recognize what CPR has done here in five years is idiotic.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    I honestly don't think JP has such a list.
    I seriously doubt that an AD who's as on top of things all the time doesn't have some form of "short list" for emergencies or unforeseen events. I hope he never has to refer to it, tho'.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

There is a massive difference in the schedules between then and now. We were only ever in the B12 title conversation when the schedule shifted to miss TX, OU & OSU. CPR has already beat more ranked teams than Mac did in his entire tenure. Go back and look at the results...the only 'big' upset in Macs tenure was when Senecca went wild in the 2nd half to beat Iowa.

I'm not happy with the state of the program right now either, but to say we were in better shape then is foolish.

Starter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    Agreed. Its getting close to "now or never" for Paul though, unfortunately. His career now swings in the balance of whether Mangino's offense clicks.
    Swinging on the balance of Mangino... that sounds like a dicey situation!

Sorry I had to.

On a serious note, anyone claiming Mangino should be at the top of the list when he hasn't even coached a single live play at Iowa State must be huffing paint. As someone said earlier, if CPR is let go that means the offense probably didn't accomplish a whole heck of a lot. It's not like Mangino has an outstanding track record as a head coach either. Only way Mangino stands a chance is if the offense is spectacular and the defense is so pathetic that they still can't win games. Otherwise, if one is gone the other is as well.

Last edited by Section110; 06-30-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    "Crack a smile, drink it down, it's the cleanest around."

Yours Truly,

Ames Water

Prospect
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Section110 View Post
    Swinging on the balance of Mangino... that sounds like a dicey situation!

Sorry I had to.

On a serious note, anyone claiming Mangino should be at the top of the list when he hasn't even coached a single live play at Iowa State must be huffing paint. As someone said earlier, if CPR is let go that means the offense probably didn't accomplish a whole heck of a lot. It's not like Mangino has an outstanding track record as a head coach either. Only way Mangino stands a chance is if the offense is spectacular and the defense is so pathetic that they still can't win games. Otherwise, if one is gone the other is as well.

Agree - top notch coordinators that have been in their jobs excelling in recent years would be high on the replacement list (Chad Morris, Clemson) and (Jeremy Pruitt, FSU, UGA). However, with CPR lengthy contract, it is not going to happen, even with a 2-10 followed by a 3-9.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SouthJerseyCy View Post
    There is a massive difference in the schedules between then and now. We were only ever in the B12 title conversation when the schedule shifted to miss TX, OU & OSU. CPR has already beat more ranked teams than Mac did in his entire tenure. Go back and look at the results...the only 'big' upset in Macs tenure was when Senecca went wild in the 2nd half to beat Iowa.

I'm not happy with the state of the program right now either, but to say we were in better shape then is foolish.
    Mac beat OSU several times. 2000, 2001, 2005 I remember for sure. He also beat several quality K State, Colorado and Nebraska teams. Your right - don't recall him ever beating Texas or OU though. Granted, Texas was actually good then and OU was like they are now (we haven't beaten them under Chiz or CPR anyway). Add to that beating a couple top 10 Iowa teams and I'd say he did pretty damn well. Especially for having crap facilities and limited to no backing from the administration.

Mac's 2005 team beat OSU by 4 touchdowns. Also went down to A/M and won by 4 touchdowns. Beat a ranked Colorado team and a top 10 ranked Iowa team that year too. 3 OT losses from being 10 wins. Nothing CPR has done in one season touches this IMHO.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,858
    Given: 116

Mac beat OSU several times. 2000, 2001, 2005 I remember for sure. He also beat several quality K State, Colorado and Nebraska teams. Your right - don't recall him ever beating Texas or OU though. Granted, Texas was actually good then and OU was like they are now (we haven't beaten them under Chiz or CPR anyway). Add to that beating a couple top 10 Iowa teams and I'd say he did pretty damn well. Especially for having crap facilities and limited to no backing from the administration.

Mac's 2005 team beat OSU by 4 touchdowns. Also went down to A/M and won by 4 touchdowns. Beat a ranked Colorado team and a top 10 ranked Iowa team that year too. 3 OT losses from being 10 wins. Nothing CPR has done in one season touches this IMHO.
    OSU of then is not the OSU of now. That's like bragging about how many times Mac beat Baylor.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I loved Mac and I love CPR but those Oklahoma State teams back then were average to decent at best.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    OSU of then is not the OSU of now. That's like bragging about how many times Mac beat Baylor.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I loved Mac and I love CPR but those Oklahoma State teams back then were average to decent at best.
    No argument from me. It was directed at the poster who said Mac's success was b/c of missing OSU, OU and Texas. I'll give ya missing OU and Texas was nice. No way on OSU though. Mac also had 11 games (versus 12) several times. Makes his 7+ wins season seem a bit better even if we missed OU and Texas.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 0

Mac wouldn't have came close to that if he had schedules as hard as CPR every year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 19

CPR is the first ISU football coach to ever beat Texas. Ever...think about that for a minute.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,312
    Given: 81

Can we compromise and say neither are very good.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,858
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by baller21 View Post
    CPR is the first ISU football coach to ever beat Texas. Ever...think about that for a minute.
    Again though, not that I'm defending Mac, but there were only what, three ISU coaches that at least consistently played Texas. Before Texas joined the conference, how many times had ISU played them in their history?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 0

Iowa State tweeted today that CPR has had the best first five years of any Iowa State coach ever.

I think it's even more impressive that he's done that against top 5 schedules every year, instead of the many cupcake schedules of years past. That's how bad we were before him.