Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 149

Re: Friday OT - Your Embarrassing Stories

I was the girls' basketball manager in 8th grade. On game days, we had to dress up. (Skirts or slacks, matching sweaters, dress shoes) It was an away game, and I'm the first one off the bus with the large duffel of practice basketballs over one shoulder and our med kit in the other hand. My first step off the bus was on a patch of ice, with dress shoes, and the next thing I know I'm sitting flat on my keyster. To top it off, I was wearing a flared denim skirt. When I fell, it "flared", so it was pantyhose/underwear right on the ice. My butt didn't warm-up/dry out until the halftime of the game.

Don't know if anyone but perhaps our coach or bus driver saw me, but it felt like the whole team was staring at me.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
    -- Henry Ford

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 608

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I was playing HS baseball in Boone once and hit one deep to left field, but it was right into the sun. I couldn't see it well, but it looked to me like the left fielder went back, but didn't make an effort to catch it. I actually thought the ump made the HR signal too. I was trotting around 2nd base before the shortstop informed me that I was out.
    Bro, I remember that game. I was the shortstop. You hit a homerun and I jokingly said you were out. You ran to the dugout before touching home plate and then called out.

Category 4 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 774
    Given: 3,115

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    You know...that reminds me of one...I am color blind, which doesn't mean I can't see colors...it's hard to explain...just certain shades throw me off...especially if they're close...but then...I'm colorblind...maybe they're not that close, I don't know....anyway. I had a black and burgundy version of the same dress shoe, and I wore one of each to work one day. The insides were also different colors (something more visible than just black/burgundy), so that's typically how I made sure I got the right ones, but apparently I didn't check that day.

I wore them for about 2 hours before anyone noticed, but when it was noticed, it was in a group meeting of my co-workers so everyone got to hear it. One of my employees also happened to be walking by at the time, so it spread pretty quickly between them as well. I think I threw one of the 2 pairs away when I got home.

At at our old townhouse, I kept my work shoes on the bottom floor (it was three stories). I had a black and brown pair that weren't identical, but close. It was the morning of an interview for a promotion, and I was running late so I put my shoes and coat on in the semi-dark.

I got got to work and got through the day until the interview, which was at about two. While we were chatting and preparing to start, I noticed that my shoes were obviously two different colors. Since I couldn't hide them under a table or anything, I made a self-effacing joke. It sort of undermined later in the interview when I explained that one of my unique assets over my competition is my attention to detail and organization. I threw in another self-deprecating joke at that point. :-/

M 7/09

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,507
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 11

Dang work keeping me away from the OT thread all day.

I pretty much always win the embarrassing moment story when used as an ice breaker at work.

In 1st grade I got on the bus without wearing pants.

I was the first kid on the bus. Its before 7AM and dark out. I was wearing shorts and while I was getting breakfast my mom noticed a tear in them. I slipped them off over my shoes and she went to fix them while I finished my breakfast.

I'm eating breakfast and looked up to see the bus in my driveway. I panic, think I'm going to be late, grab my bookbag and run out to the bus. It's dark so the driver doesn't notice I'm wearing superman whitey tighties or whatever they were. I'm the first kid on and grab my normal seat.

A buddy of mine get on a couple stops later. Sits down across from me and immediately starts pointing at me an laughing his *** off. He tells the other people on the bus and the other kids that get on something I can't hear and they all sit around me pointing and laughing uncontrollably. I sit there wonder wtf is going on.

Finally he throws me a pair of shorts. My mom noticed I left with out pants and called ahead to his mom and asked if they could send a pair of shorts for me.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,507
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 11

One more I was reminded of when someone mentioned someone earlier mentioned their kids saying things to embarrass them.

We were interviewing for an open position at work. There were actually two position one in my group and another in a guy I know really well. We got a resume of someone that looked like an amazing fit for the job. Scheduled her for an interview. I happened to be out of office the day she came into interview. I asked the other guy how it went.

He replied "Well I really liked her. She goes about 275 and has a thicker beard than you do, but I really liked her" He's a guy that likes to joke around so I didn't think much of it. We offered her the job in his group, she accepted. It was a job that support my team very closely though. The day she started I realized his description was pretty much spot on.

Several months later my wife is working and I take the boys out to eat at Quiznos. We are sitting at the high top tables near where you order. Me and the youngest at one table. The older two at the next table. She comes in as we are sitting down. I say hi and start unpacking stuff for the youngest to eat. I hear my middle son saying "Dad" and something else I can't really make out because I'm trying to get the youngest his sub. Finally it registers that my middle son is loudly shouting at me...

"Dad, dad can ladies have beards?"

I screamed at him to shut up. She was standing pretty far away and I'm pretty sure didn't hear. Her husband on the other hand was right there.

I never got called down to HR so all is well.

Legend
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 1,284

children saying stupid things..........

so when I was a little ****-len, my mom read me Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. We were at the grocery store shortly thereafter and I kept loudly referring to the man behind us in the checkout line as "Dopey". As in, "look mommy, it's Dopey!"

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,901
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,490
    Given: 84

Honestly, I'm sure I've done a million things most would consider embarrassing, but I just don't get embarrassed, so I can't really say I've had an embarrassing moment.

Probably has a lot to do with my lack of a Shame Gland.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by Leidang View Post
    Coming out of work one day maybe 6-7 years ago I'm walking to the parking lot with another guy talking and there are a bunch f people around. We each head to our cars and say goodbye not noticing that we parked right across the aisle from each other. We both back out and "crash"! We get out of the cars and a couple of people are clapping and commenting on how it looked like we were a precision driving team since everything from the point we said goodbye, getting in the cars, to backup lights coming on and the angle backing out, was totally in sync.

Another car related one. I came out of work one day, hiked up to the parking lot, went to open my car and realized I had left it running with the keys in it all day, 9 hours, in 90+ degree weather. One other guy noticed and got a good laugh out of it. Luckily, I had an extra key in my wallet and I had filled the tank the day before and it still had gas. The weird thing is the car ran great after that, I don't know if it burned all of the carbon out of the engine or what but it ran like it was brand new.
    I had the second thing happen to me. I was at school and my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were walking out to the parking lot and she thought she heard an engine running. As we got closer to the car, we noticed it was my car. Luckily, I had given her a spare.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,639
    Given: 2,104

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    You know...that reminds me of one...I am color blind, which doesn't mean I can't see colors...it's hard to explain...just certain shades throw me off...especially if they're close...but then...I'm colorblind...maybe they're not that close, I don't know....anyway. I had a black and burgundy version of the same dress shoe, and I wore one of each to work one day. The insides were also different colors (something more visible than just black/burgundy), so that's typically how I made sure I got the right ones, but apparently I didn't check that day.

I wore them for about 2 hours before anyone noticed, but when it was noticed, it was in a group meeting of my co-workers so everyone got to hear it. One of my employees also happened to be walking by at the time, so it spread pretty quickly between them as well. I think I threw one of the 2 pairs away when I got home.
    Ex was colorblind, and one son is colorblind (my father is also colorblind...son's cb is my fault, not my ex's). I used to match all of their clothes for them, and when I did laundry I made sure to hang things in the exact same place every time. One pair black dress shoes, one pair brown for each, different styles of shoe so that they looked different. Took a lot of planning to keep them from wearing horrible mismatches. :)

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 320

I was at a dinner one night and had a few too many drinks. (That is how most of my embarrassing moments happen.) I was at the table with people that I didn't know, and I asked one of the women when she was due. The answer was that she was not pregnant.

So fast forward a year later and we happen to be interviewing her husband at our company. So during the interview, I ask him how the baby is. Good thing he had a sense of humor because it could have backfired.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,901
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,490
    Given: 84

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsTournament View Post
    I was at a dinner one night and had a few too many drinks. (That is how most of my embarrassing moments happen.) I was at the table with people that I didn't know, and I asked one of the women when she was due. The answer was that she was not pregnant.

So fast forward a year later and we happen to be interviewing her husband at our company. So during the interview, I ask him how the baby is. Good thing he had a sense of humor because it could have backfired.
    I have a policy that the only time I'll ask a woman if she's pregnant is if I actually physically see the baby coming out.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,639
    Given: 2,104

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I have a policy that the only time I'll ask a woman if she's pregnant is if I actually physically see the baby coming out.
    Excellent policy. I've made the mistake also (when I was young and had not yet been pregnant myself).

Legend
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 705
    Given: 1,226

I actually got kicked off a flight once. I was delayed a while in Burbank, drank a lot, and was pretty insistent that the fatty sitting next to my seat should reimburse me for my space he was taking up.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,074
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 868

Was about 13 years old playing football in the backyard of a friend's house during a 4th of July party. My friend's cute cousin was there and everyone was showing off for her.

I had just made an interception and was hamming it up a little bit and talking a little trash. Well, I wasn't paying attention to where I was running and ran into their volleyball net.

My torso stretched the net to its limit, my legs both flung out in front of me, and then the net quickly slammed me to the earth, knocking the wind out if me.

To top it off, I had never had the wind knocked out if me before so I did that super cool wide eyed staccato gasping for air because I didn't know what the hell was going on.

Net 1, pride 0

Hoiberg: I have a unique situation here. I grew up here. I went to college here. My family is close and my wife's family is close. I know everyone in the community and my family is very comfortable here. My daughter has dreamed about one thing and that's going to Iowa State. The NBA is great and I love the NBA, but I love Iowa State and the opportunity I have here. We've really built something special and I think we've got real momentum to keep it going even more.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 168

Accidental farts. Seemed like they would happen once a year during school...usually when I was trying to keep from sneezing.

But there was one time that was especially embarrassing. I was about 10 years old and was with my family at church. During the service I kinda had my leg propped up on the pew in front of me and a fart just came out. It wouldn't have been so bad, but it vibrated off the wooden pew and was extremely loud. Everybody burst out laughing basically stopping the service. I was so embarrassed and just stared at the floor. I always assumed people knew it was me, especially my family, but years later someone was telling the story and it was blamed on two girls that were in the next section over from us.