Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 803
    Given: 662

Re: Why USA isn't a world power in soccer (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by isutrevman View Post
    A goal in soccer is worth a lot more than a TD in football. Football scores aren't typically 7-0, or 14-7.
    Subtract non-game winning field goals from scores, divide by seven. It'll be higher than soccer, but not drastically higher. (especially considering it's under 2 hours vs 3 or even 4 hours from start to finish)

For me football, basketball and soccer are easily my fav sports. Officiating mistakes are the only reason I enjoy football more than basketball and soccer. (talking about watching meaingful games not involving teams I have emotional interest in)

I don't love football because of the typical 4-8 exciting scores a game as opposed to the typical 0-5 scores in a soccer game lasting HALF as long, which seems what many in this thread suggest...that seems irrational to me. If it's the amount of scoring basketball would be the only mainstream spectator sport in the world...or perhaps tennis. The idea that football or baseball are high scoring would only be said by Americans who grew up with the two.

Last edited by HFCS; 06-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,684
    Given: 170

And football is not a fast paced sport, football maybe rivals baseball in slow sports, and I love football, although maybe not as much as I used to.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 267

Quote Originally Posted by cbro31 View Post
    The ****? No I wasn't. You said that you can count on it going in so you can just go make a sandwhich. I said you still have to earn it. How do you get point differences out of that?
    I didn't pay attention to who he was quoting. My bad. But penalty kicks are freaking easy, which makes it an especially ****** way to determine a winner at the end of a game. The goalie just has to guess rather than actually react.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    No, but there's no strategy involved with the score in soccer, at least not like there is in football. There's no debate between going for two and kicking the extra point, or kicking the field goal and going for it on fourth and short. It's much simpler than that in soccer, which is what he was trying to say. There is no way to get more than one point when you score, so all you try to do is put it in the back of the net. Hockey is the same way, although it has other elements that appeal to many people who enjoy sports like football.
    To say there is no/very little strategy involved in soccer to score is to show your ignorance about the sport. Did you watch the set piece the US scored on, did you notice that there were multiple US players moving while the ball was in the air, that is all strategy. Just because the game doesn't stop and there isn't a time out after every five seconds of game play doesn't mean there isn't strategy.

I believe we as American's over simplify our perceptions of soccer. While overall it is a simple game with few rules, don't underestimate the skill, technique and strategy that goes into sport. If it wasn't challenging to play it wouldn't be the most popular sport in the world.

A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,764
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 478
    Given: 243

Quote Originally Posted by boone7247 View Post
    To say there is no/very little strategy involved in soccer to score is to show your ignorance about the sport. Did you watch the set piece the US scored on, did you notice that there were multiple US players moving while the ball was in the air, that is all strategy. Just because the game doesn't stop and there isn't a time out after every five seconds of game play doesn't mean there isn't strategy.

I believe we as American's over simplify our perceptions of soccer. While overall it is a simple game with few rules, don't underestimate the skill, technique and strategy that goes into sport. If it wasn't challenging to play it wouldn't be the most popular sport in the world.
    No he's talking about the actual strategy of the score a.k.a...a computer generated laminated printout being held by a guy in a windbreaker that belongs in 2002, grandpa khakis, and white Avia shoes. Intense strategizing I assure you.

the poster formerly known as chamakhattack

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,783
    Given: 1,502

There's a lot going on, no doubt. I don't know most of it, but that's on me.
    I tend to think that the running clock really hurts the end of matches. I don't see what point there is to having two teams play that don't know how much time they have or don't have.

Overall, though, it's a fun sport to watch with people who know what's going on.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 267

I didn't say there was no strategy to score. They obviously have to have strategy in order to score goals. I meant there's no score-based strategy like there is in football. In football, you can score 1 point, 2 points, 3 points or 6 points depending on the situation. In soccer, you either score 1 point, or you don't score at all.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,271
    Given: 113

That is not what he said at all. A score is a score is a score in soccer. It's always worth 1 point. There's not a strategy that involves going for a specific type of score, like there is in football, where different types of scores yield different point values.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    That is not what he said at all. A score is a score is a score in soccer. It's always worth 1 point. There's not a strategy that involves going for a specific type of score, like there is in football, where different types of scores yield different point values.
    Link to some of the grand strategy Janny is alluding to, condensed into a small handheld chart for your convenience. That one square where it says 'Decision', that's where the magic happens.

http://www.theredzone.org/Features/T...sionChart.aspx

Legend
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 803
    Given: 662

I'd agree with the angle that football is an incredibly high strategy sport because there are so many rules and stoppages where coaching/strategy are involved in every stop, not that soccer is more simple than the average sport. Baseball may have even more stopping, but there's less overall communication going on, nothing on the level of football. Coaching a soccer team isn't less tactically demanding than coaching basketball, hockey, wrestling or any number of sports. Football is tactically an outlier among mainstream sports though in terms of complexity.

Last edited by HFCS; 06-18-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Link to some of the grand strategy Janny is alluding to, condensed into a small handheld chart for your convenience. That one square where it says 'Decision', that's where the magic happens.

http://www.theredzone.org/Features/T...sionChart.aspx
    please. you can do better than that.

Where's the 4th and goal from the 3 yard line, down by 6, at home, 4 minutes left in the game, defense has been on the field most of the second half, go for the field goal or touchdown chart?

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 59

Didn't read the whole thread, but I'm sure it's devolved into "soccer sucks!" "no baseball sucks!".

I am not a soccer fan. However, I found myself recording the game against Ghana Monday and watching the 2nd half, even though I knew the outcome. However, I chalk that up more to national pride than becoming a soccer fan. I'll probably not follow the sport again after the World Cup is over until the Olympics.

That said, I recognize the popularity of the sport world wide, and here in the US my view is probably more common than not. Though I think that's slowly changing. And, that's not a bad thing.

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 64

Quote Originally Posted by isutrevman View Post
    A goal in soccer is worth a lot more than a TD in football. Football scores aren't typically 7-0, or 14-7.
    Doesn't a difference of 1 point win the game in any sport?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    please. you can do better than that.

Where's the 4th and goal from the 3 yard line, down by 6, at home, 4 minutes left in the game, defense has been on the field most of the second half, go for the field goal or touchdown chart?
    Don't tell me what I can do better than, maybe I'm at my peak right now.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Don't tell me what I can do better than, maybe I'm at my peak right now.
    I've seen you do better... today.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum