Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 187

Re: Advice for new frequent business traveler?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    I would say I prefer the aisle seat as well. Gives me a direction to lean if the person in the middle seat is, how shall I say this........ ample in size?
    And then that b***h with the cart smashes into your shoulder and head. Or that guy who can't hold his bladder longer than 20 minutes.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 2,475

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    And then that b***h with the cart smashes into your shoulder and head. Or that guy who can't hold his bladder longer than 20 minutes.
    You do get significantly more butts in your face when you sit on the aisle. :-|

M 7/09

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 143

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    You do get significantly more butts in your face when you sit on the aisle. :-|
    Which is not always a bad thing if you got some fine looking women sitting next to you - the problem is I swear they are never on my flight!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 666
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    I had the pleasure of the aisle seat right in front of the bathroom on my last 5 hour trip to Honolulu. And the guy across the aisle passed out and and was literally leaning half his body into the aisle while sleeping. For some reason, people didn't want to wake that sleeping beauty, so instead they slammed into and kicked me every time going to the bathroom. Worst flight I've ever had.

Last edited by cyrocksmypants; 06-18-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 287

Quote Originally Posted by urb1 View Post
    Until the last seven years, I traveled at in my jobs 2 to 3 times a month. Everything everyone posted is spot on. Here is one thing I taught myself that I passed on to the family. It sounds weird, but, act like cattle. If someone says to go to gate A, go there. If they then send you back to gate B, do it. If you are told your plane already left, your plane will be late, the rental company won't have a car right away, don't get ******. Make your alternate plans and then live with it. And always have a book or something with you to occupy your time. I saw so many people lose control in airports, and all it does is make everyone else miserable.

Finally, I'll reiterate to take advantage of every frequent traveler club. This year was the first time I had to pay for a vacation hotel in probably 20 years. And I probably have one more vacation after this year until I have to start paying for airline tickets. It's a nice perk for having to spend so much time away from home.

Yes, sort of. Certainly no need to make a stink or try to change something with a rant. It is amazing how many people think that a tirade will help. They usually try to make it sound like they are an experienced traveler ("I will never fly on ______ Airline again!"), but all of us know that they don't fly often because they aren't members of the airline club.

However, the airline industry is all about treating you like dumb cattle, especially on the small connecting flights. But you don't have to just go along with everything. Knowing what you can do when problems occur and doing those things rather than get mad can accomplish a lot. If you see that there is a delay and you think you will miss your connection, call the United 1K desk and have them "cover" you on the next connection. While everyone else rants or lines up at Customer Service, you already have it taken care of.

And don't underestimate the discretion of the airline staff that are serving you. Often, they can do much more than it seems, but they aren't going to do it for the guy who goes berzerk. Sometimes, if you act like an experienced traveler and are nice about it, you find that they do things for you that you didn't even know they could do.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,666
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 14

Oh and if you have a flight that is delayed or late or something like that, it never hurts to send an email to customer service and sometimes they'll send you a voucher.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 272

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    And don't underestimate the discretion of the airline staff that are serving you. Often, they can do much more than it seems, but they aren't going to do it for the guy who goes berzerk. Sometimes, if you act like an experienced traveler and are nice about it, you find that they do things for you that you didn't even know they could do.
    It is seriously amazing how much "asking nicely" has gotten me in airports over the years.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 272

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    Oh and if you have a flight that is delayed or late or something like that, it never hurts to send an email to customer service and sometimes they'll send you a voucher.
    I had a flight delayed last week and the gate agents did an awesome job getting everyone re-routed and all that. I sent an email to the airline complimenting them on the job they did dealing with everything. I got a reply a few days later "Sorry for your delay, have 12,000 miles for your trouble". I should send compliments more often.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 287

Okay, here is another trick. If you aren't in a hurry to get to your destination and you know that the flight is crowded, ask if they are looking for "volunteers" to give up their seats and be rebooked on a later flight. Once upon a time, I got three free vouchers at Newark but giving up my seat on three consecutive flights. I just sat and worked at the airport all day. Lately, they are giving vouchers with dollar values and I recently got $500 for giving up my seat and taking a flight a few hours later.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I had the pleasure of the aisle seat right in front of the bathroom on my last 5 hour trip to Honolulu. And the guy across the aisle passed out and and was literally leaning half his body into the aisle while sleeping. For some reason, people didn't want to wake that sleeping beauty, so instead they slammed into and kicked me every time going to the bathroom. Worst flight I've ever had.
    My boss had the 777 exit row seat by the bathroom on a flight we took to Germany this year. The bathroom had an issue with the lock not showing occupied. So the whole fight for him was filled with seeing people getting walked into in the bathroom.

Rookie
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Security line tip for you. If everyone would do this it would be 100% better going through security. As you wait in line, empty your pockets, wallet, watch, phone, belt, everything and put it in a pocket of your carry on bag. Then when you get to the front you have those all taken care of and you can slip off shoes, pull out laptop and toiletries and breeze through. Amazing how much time people spend holding up the line for simple stuff they could have been doing while they waited...

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 131

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Okay, here is another trick. If you aren't in a hurry to get to your destination and you know that the flight is crowded, ask if they are looking for "volunteers" to give up their seats and be rebooked on a later flight. Once upon a time, I got three free vouchers at Newark but giving up my seat on three consecutive flights. I just sat and worked at the airport all day. Lately, they are giving vouchers with dollar values and I recently got $500 for giving up my seat and taking a flight a few hours later.
    Just an FYI if anybody on here ever runs in to this, if you are "involuntarily" denied boarding (meaning nobody volunteered to give up a seat on an overbooked flight and you do not have a seat) you are entitled to cash for 200% of your one way airfare cost if you arrive between 1-2 hours later than your scheduled arrival. If you arrive more than 2 hours later it is 400%. Don't let the airline tell you that they can only offer vouchers, they are required by law to give you cash and still put you on the next flight.

The odds of having an overbooked flight with no volunteers and you are the odd man out is extremely slim but it is good to know in case it happens.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 403
    Given: 708

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    Just an FYI if anybody on here ever runs in to this, if you are "involuntarily" denied boarding (meaning nobody volunteered to give up a seat on an overbooked flight and you do not have a seat) you are entitled to cash for 200% of your one way airfare cost if you arrive between 1-2 hours later than your scheduled arrival. If you arrive more than 2 hours later it is 400%. Don't let the airline tell you that they can only offer vouchers, they are required by law to give you cash and still put you on the next flight.

The odds of having an overbooked flight with no volunteers and you are the odd man out is extremely slim but it is good to know in case it happens.
    Yeah, this. The airlines are always relying on passengers taking the vouchers, and I totally support taking the voucher because you get value. But, if you're trying to make it home for Thanksgiving and they boot you, you need to get paid. They owe by law for much more than a voucher.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 14

When I was on business trips, I always wore a suit on the plane, plus it's easier than packing it. I flew Continental, joined the lounge club and the FA start recognizing you. You'll get bumped to business class if there are openings and they want to fill your seat with standbys. I never saw a guy in a tshirt get moved up to business class. Always take the earliest flight you can, and you'll experience fewer delays.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Clone1450 View Post
    Security line tip for you. If everyone would do this it would be 100% better going through security. As you wait in line, empty your pockets, wallet, watch, phone, belt, everything and put it in a pocket of your carry on bag. Then when you get to the front you have those all taken care of and you can slip off shoes, pull out laptop and toiletries and breeze through. Amazing how much time people spend holding up the line for simple stuff they could have been doing while they waited...
    I do this all the time.