Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 465

Re: NBA Draft Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard4Cy View Post
    Does everyone have to be so literal around you? I mean clearly, clearly, CLEARLY I didn't think any current NBA center is comparable to them, I'm talking about a player who is a franchise player and a star. Here is some advice: if you want people to like you, constantly arguing every point they make at every possible angle even if the point is correct, isn't the way to do it.
    Why on earth would I want everyone to like me? Is that your goal in participating here? That's creepy. I thought we were here to talk basketball?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sally-fields.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	27155  

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 886
    Given: 10

Ok, so here is another way to look at it. Looking at the Top 5 picks in the last 5 drafts:

Centers/PF:

Anthony Bennett
    Cody Zeller
    Alex Len
    Anthony Davis
    Thomas Robinson
    Enes Kanter
    Tristan Thompson
    Derrick Williams
    Jonas Valencunas
    Derrick Favors
    Demarcus Cousins
    Blake Griffin
    Hasheem Thabeet

SF:
    Oladipo
    Kidd-Gilchrest
    Otto Porter
    Evan Turner
    Wes Johnson

SG:
    Bradley Beal
    James Harden
    Tyreke Evans
    Dion Waiters

PG:
    Kyrie Irving
    John Wall
    Ricky Rubio

To me, what this says is too many teams think they have to reach to get a quality big guy and they wind up being busts. In that list of C/PF, really only Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis have turned into quality pros. Valuncunas and Cousins are serviceable. That also means that guys that were later on in the draft the last few years: Curry, Thompson, Lillard, George, etc. were passed up in an attempt to "go get" a big guy.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Ok, so here is another way to look at it. Looking at the Top 5 picks in the last 5 drafts: Centers/PF: Anthony Bennett Cody Zeller Alex Len Anthony Davis Thomas Robinson Enes Kanter Tristan Thompson Derrick Williams Jonas Valencunas Derrick Favors Demarcus Cousins Blake Griffin Hasheem Thabeet SF: Oladipo Kidd-Gilchrest Otto Porter Evan Turner Wes Johnson SG: Bradley Beal James Harden Tyreke Evans Dion Waiters PG: Kyrie Irving John Wall Ricky Rubio To me, what this says is too many teams think they have to reach to get a quality big guy and they wind up being busts. In that list of C/PF, really only Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis have turned into quality pros. Valuncunas and Cousins are serviceable. That also means that guys that were later on in the draft the last few years: Curry, Thompson, Lillard, George, etc. were passed up in an attempt to "go get" a big guy.
    The reason people "pass up' guys like Curry, Lillard, George is that most teams already have guys at those positions so it would be dumb of them to have TWO guys at those positions. Like I said, lots of teams have good/very good SGs. Not many have a good center, so they are simply trying to fill a position of need. Make a list of "50 best NBA players" and I bet way more than half of them are SG/SF.

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,127
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,667
    Given: 1,899

Embiid is done. Sucks for him.

This is going to be one of the this is one of the biggest sporting spectacles in the history of sports - Lebron

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 402

Really good centers have ALWAYS BEEN RARE. Saying there aren't a lot of them in the league is not a good argument for them no longer being effective in the league. The difference between now and 15-20 years ago is that teams figured out that if they couldn't get a franchise center they might be better off to just go with a smaller line-up instead of trying to start a Shawn Bradley or Rasho Nesterovic type. The great teams are winning with good PG and wing play because there are a lot of good PG's and wings in the league right now. If the next Shaq, or hell even just the next Alonzo Mourning, entered the league tomorrow it would be a big advantage to his team. That is why teams are willing to risk everything on big-time gambles like Noel or Bynum. If the smart basketball people didn't think there was a high reward, why would they take the high risk?

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 50

Ok, so here is another way to look at it. Looking at the Top 5 picks in the last 5 drafts:

Centers/PF:

Anthony Bennett
    Cody Zeller
    Alex Len
    Anthony Davis
    Thomas Robinson
    Enes Kanter
    Tristan Thompson
    Derrick Williams
    Jonas Valencunas
    Derrick Favors
    Demarcus Cousins
    Blake Griffin
    Hasheem Thabeet

SF:
    Oladipo
    Kidd-Gilchrest
    Otto Porter
    Evan Turner
    Wes Johnson

SG:
    Bradley Beal
    James Harden
    Tyreke Evans
    Dion Waiters

PG:
    Kyrie Irving
    John Wall
    Ricky Rubio

To me, what this says is too many teams think they have to reach to get a quality big guy and they wind up being busts. In that list of C/PF, really only Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis have turned into quality pros. Valuncunas and Cousins are serviceable. That also means that guys that were later on in the draft the last few years: Curry, Thompson, Lillard, George, etc. were passed up in an attempt to "go get" a big guy.
    Cousins averaged 23/12 last year, he's absolutely a quality pro. Kanter and Thompson are both at least serviceable guys as well. Favors too.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 192

Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    Why on earth would I want everyone to like me? Is that your goal in participating here? That's creepy. I thought we were here to talk basketball?
    If you are here to talk basketball then why don't you go to a Kansas board? This clearly isn't your place. I mean there shouldn't be any other reason you're here.

Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You are proving our point. There is still such an advantage to be had in getting a true franchise big, that they are willing to pass on more of a sure thing to chase them. The assumption is that most years will bring in more quality forwards and guards. Actually landing a franchise big man is like striking oil.

Now, we can debate the merits of that draft and team building philosophy, and I actually think you'd have some good points. But that is not the same as saying that a franchise center is not/would not be an advantage in the current NBA.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The reason people "pass up' guys like Curry, Lillard, George is that most teams already have guys at those positions so it would be dumb of them to have TWO guys at those positions. Like I said, lots of teams have good/very good SGs. Not many have a good center, so they are simply trying to fill a position of need. Make a list of "50 best NBA players" and I bet way more than half of them are SG/SF.
    That makes sense, if you take the lottery model out of play. The Top 5 draft picks go to the Cavaliers, Bucks, 76ers, Magic and Jazz. None of those teams have anyone who is worth passing up on a potential all-star SG/SF. If the Bucks pass up on Wiggins because "hey, we feel pretty good about Jeff Adrien", or the Cavs say "we'd take Parker, but we're afraid he'd take shots from Loul Deng" they don't deserve to be GMs.

Moral of the story, if you are in the lottery it means you don't have a single player that cannot and should not be replaced.

Last edited by Clonefan32; 06-19-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That makes sense, if you take the lottery model out of play. The Top 5 draft picks go to the Cavaliers, Bucks, 76ers, Magic and Jazz. None of those teams have anyone who is worth passing up on a potential all-star SG/SF. If the Bucks pass up on Wiggins because "hey, we feel pretty good about Jeff Adrien", or the Cavs say "we'd take Parker, but we're afraid he'd take shots from Loul Deng they don't deserve to be GMs.

Moral of the story, if you are in the lottery it means you don't have a single player that cannot and should not be replaced.
    counterpoint: The Spurs had flippin' David Robinson and still drafted Tim Duncan.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    You are proving our point. There is still such an advantage to be had in getting a true franchise big, that they are willing to pass on more of a sure thing to chase them. The assumption is that most years will bring in more quality forwards and guards. Actually landing a franchise big man is like striking oil.

Now, we can debate the merits of that draft and team building philosophy, and I actually think you'd have some good points. But that is not the same as saying that a franchise center is not/would not be an advantage in the current NBA.
    Or it is a completely outdated norm that needs to go. Simply put, as the NBA currently sits teams that rely on their big man don't go far. You saw what it did to the Pacers. The Rockets didn't make it out of the first round. The reason you don't see franchise big men is because teams don't need them. I honestly think most NBA coaches would rather find a serviceable, athletic guy in that 6'8"-6'10" range who can run the floor and rebound over a back to the basket post. That's based entirely on what you have seen succeed recently in the NBA.

Go back and watch the Spurs this postseason. Duncan played well, but I would venture to say at least 3/4ths of his points were dunks as a result of great ball movement. It was very rare they'd dump it down to him and let him got to work.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    counterpoint: The Spurs had flippin' David Robinson and still drafted Tim Duncan.
    Yes... 15 years ago in a much different NBA.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard4Cy View Post
    If you are here to talk basketball then why don't you go to a Kansas board? This clearly isn't your place. I mean there shouldn't be any other reason you're here.
    Is there basketball talk here? Check. Is there discussions about topics, conferences and teams that I have an interest in? Check. Are there a good number of active participants to engage in desired basketball conversation with? Check. Is there a strong monitoring of the site by Mods to ensure that the discussions do not turn into offensive, foul mouthed nonsense? Check. Just looking to pass the time while work is slow like the rest of you. I have no more agenda than that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 33

Curry, Lillard, and George also went to Davidson, Weber St., and Fresno St. Got them lottery but not up to the top 5 territory.

It's a risk, but some team is going to get a player in Embiid with phenomenal upside at a relative steal of a pick. I'd still take him over Randle. Also, I've never heard of Elfrid Payton before this week.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

Lots of NBA n00betry up in here