Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
  1. #16
    All-Star
    Points: 26,840, Level: 50
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,343
    Points
    26,840
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 123

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Kidney Bean Salad
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/78525/kidney-bean-salad

    Goes great with any grilled food.



  2. #17
    All-Star
    Points: 22,830, Level: 46
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,187
    Points
    22,830
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 36

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by urb1 View Post
    Kidney Bean Salad
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/78525/kidney-bean-salad

    Goes great with any grilled food.
    Must be the "Summer of the Bean"

    California Bean Dip!

    Goes great with all foods- especially those Mexican types that have already been mentioned above.

    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/california-bean-dip/



  3. #18
    Legend
    Points: 303,348, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,066
    Points
    303,348
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,274
    Given: 560

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    OK, honest answer...it's not my 'favorite' recipe, since I always like to change it up, but my wife raved about a new dressing I made (our CSA share had a bunch of lettuce):

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Green-G...r_results_p1i2

    And...now that I wrote that I made a salad dressing, and I'm a member of a CSA, I shall go drink a beer to redeem my manliness.



  4. #19
    Addict
    Points: 108,115, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    8,856
    Points
    108,115
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,910
    Given: 123

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    OK, honest answer...it's not my 'favorite' recipe, since I always like to change it up, but my wife raved about a new dressing I made (our CSA share had a bunch of lettuce):

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Green-G...r_results_p1i2

    And...now that I wrote that I made a salad dressing, and I'm a member of a CSA, I shall go drink a beer to redeem my manliness.
    It's gonna take more than just a beer, Nancy.



  5. #20
    Legend
    Points: 303,348, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,066
    Points
    303,348
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,274
    Given: 560

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    It's gonna take more than just a beer, Nancy.



    I'm so ashamed.....



  6. #21
    Addict
    Points: 108,115, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    8,856
    Points
    108,115
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,910
    Given: 123

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post


    I'm so ashamed.....
    I'm just screwing with you. But in all seriousness, you might want to have your boyfriend open that beer so you don't break a nail.



  7. #22
    Legend
    Points: 303,348, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,066
    Points
    303,348
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,274
    Given: 560

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I'm just screwing with you. But in all seriousness, you might want to have your boyfriend open that beer so you don't break a nail.

    Cut me some slack, man...I've lived in iowa city for 10 years and my wife works at the hippie food store, I'm bound to pick up some of that stuff.

    Besides, the good dinner quite possibly played a role in getting me laid last night...and before you say it, yes...by my wife.



  8. #23
    Pro
    Points: 52,827, Level: 71
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,223
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    HoopsTournament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    2,752
    Points
    52,827
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 374

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Chicken Burgers

    Ground Chicken - you can mix them with anything you like. We mix them with Mushrooms, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, 1/2 cup of Breadcrumbs. Also put some season salt in the burger and then put more on both sides. Have put ranch seasoning in it too which is very good, but ranch gives me headaches sometimes, so don't use it anymore. But if you like ranch and it doesn't make you sick, add it too.

    You can cook them on the grill on George Foreman grill. My wife likes to make a Sun-Dried Tomato mayo with it which is pretty good. Great for leftovers too.



  9. #24
    Pro
    Points: 79,318, Level: 87
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    stateofmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,786
    Points
    79,318
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 258

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    This is awesome! Keep it up guys and gals!



  10. #25
    Addict
    Points: 122,084, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    7,428
    Points
    122,084
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 443
    Given: 960

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    For a healtier option, I like turkey burgers. We like to mix in various things like onions, peppers, etc. Throw some panko crumbs in there for texture. Pretty solid.



  11. #26
    Prospect
    Points: 6,890, Level: 24
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    60
    Points
    6,890
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Just FYI, I make ranch dressing and dip without using the pre-packaged mix. Just tons of dill weed, plus, garlic powder, onion powder, usually some chives, and a little paprika. So, if you like those flavors, you might try adding them in as the herbs/spices...should avoid the headaches which are probably caused by something else in the mix. Same deal to make dressing and veggie dip.



  12. #27
    Pro
    Points: 52,827, Level: 71
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,223
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    HoopsTournament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    2,752
    Points
    52,827
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 374

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetiecy View Post
    Just FYI, I make ranch dressing and dip without using the pre-packaged mix. Just tons of dill weed, plus, garlic powder, onion powder, usually some chives, and a little paprika. So, if you like those flavors, you might try adding them in as the herbs/spices...should avoid the headaches which are probably caused by something else in the mix. Same deal to make dressing and veggie dip.
    Thanks, I will have to try that.



  13. #28
    Prospect
    Points: 6,890, Level: 24
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    60
    Points
    6,890
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Buy an electric smoker. My husband has both both types, but the electric one is the regularly used version because you can literally just put the stuff in and walk away. He puts it out in our driveway, plugs it in in the garage. We have our office at home too, and it really works out well.

    He smokes whole chickens...those make GREAT chicken salad, chicken tacos or quesadillas...and it is super-cheap. The chicken tacos, we make with black beans, fresh sweet corn, the chicken, a little taco seasoning/salsa/guac, and jack cheese.

    Also, that smoker makes "no fail" ribs. Rub with a good seasoning mix, put them on for 5 hours at 250 (sauce and wrap about 3 hours through if you want).

    A pork shoulder takes longer (about 7-8 hours, IIRC). He uses that for sandwiches (topped with slaw of course); and a great rice and salsa verde concoction.

    Just something to think about since you are home during the day. You can fill up the smoker and have enough meat for many lunches and meals.



  14. #29
    Legend
    Points: 303,348, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,066
    Points
    303,348
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,274
    Given: 560

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetiecy View Post
    Buy an electric smoker. My husband has both both types, but the electric one is the regularly used version because you can literally just put the stuff in and walk away. He puts it out in our driveway, plugs it in in the garage. We have our office at home too, and it really works out well.

    He smokes whole chickens...those make GREAT chicken salad, chicken tacos or quesadillas...and it is super-cheap. The chicken tacos, we make with black beans, fresh sweet corn, the chicken, a little taco seasoning/salsa/guac, and jack cheese.

    Also, that smoker makes "no fail" ribs. Rub with a good seasoning mix, put them on for 5 hours at 250 (sauce and wrap about 3 hours through if you want).

    A pork shoulder takes longer (about 7-8 hours, IIRC). He uses that for sandwiches (topped with slaw of course); and a great rice and salsa verde concoction.

    Just something to think about since you are home during the day. You can fill up the smoker and have enough meat for many lunches and meals.
    Pellet grills/smokers are also set and forget, as long as the pellet hopper is full

    Difference between electric smokers and pellet grills is that the electric ones use electric for the heat, the smoke is only for flavor, the pellet grills use only wood pellets for both. Not going to bash electric smokers, since I have no experience, but my pellet grill is awesome, I use it about every weekend (would be more if I had more time to myself during the week).

    Mine is a Traeger, but Yoder Smokers is a brand I've seen too, and next on my list if I need to replace the Traeger.



  15. #30
    Walk On
    Points: 2,424, Level: 13
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    158
    Points
    2,424
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 216

    Re: What's your favorite summer recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    You still haven't dropped that shorty yet? Geeze, it's been like, two years.

    As a bachelor, I'm going to go with the tried and true cereal in bowl; add milk.
    Oh crap, thats what I was forgetting for the recipe, half the time Im like I swear this was a little less crunchy, geesh how could I forget the milk!!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM