Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 3

Re: *** Official 2014 NBA Off-Season Thread ***

If OKC's front office doesn't get rid of Westbrook for another PG that fits their needs better (rondo), they should all be fired. Durants biggest weakness is Westbrook.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 428

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    If OKC's front office doesn't get rid of Westbrook for another PG that fits their needs better (rondo), they should all be fired. Durants biggest weakness is Westbrook.
    That's going to be a tricky situation though, especially with the Harden trade still hanging over the franchise's head. Durant is on record and seems sincere that he loves playing with Russ and would be upset if the team broke them up. Maybe there's a better fit at PG, but you don't mess around with ******* of Durant, especially when the last time you tried a similar move it didn't really work out so well.

And really, it's not like Westbrook isn't ALSO an extremely talented player. He would be the franchise guy for a lot of other teams. Somewhere there is a coach capable of crafting a system that utilizes the combination of both guys to their full potential.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 974
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    yeah, not sure why he'd retire now. They've never won back to back, you'd think he'd want to try with this squad
    The storybook ending of riding off into the sunset as a champion like John Elway and Pete Sampras did has to be tempting for Duncan.

On the other hand, the sixth ring and going to back to back has to be even more tempting. Plus he can still play so its not like his skills are quickly diminishing. Pop will handle his minutes wisely and keep him from wearing down.

Go for it Tim...I was shattered when Elway decided to not come back for a run at a 3-peat

ABC - Always Be Closing

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,559
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 253
    Given: 54

Westbrook is very possible the third best player in the league when healthy. Trading him for Rondo is a massive downgrade, Rondo can't shoot, that would be a terrible trade for the Thunder. If the current coaching staff can't make that combo work, then they need to bring in a staff that can figure it out. Going from Westbrook-Harden-Durant to only Durant in a span of three years would be a massive failure for OKC's front office.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Westbrook is very possible the third best player in the league when healthy. Trading him for Rondo is a massive downgrade, Rondo can't shoot, that would be a terrible trade for the Thunder. If the current coaching staff can't make that combo work, then they need to bring in a staff that can figure it out. Going from Westbrook-Harden-Durant to only Durant in a span of three years would be a massive failure for OKC's front office.
    They should've dumped Westbrook instead of Harden, IMO. You have unarguably the best scorer in the league on your team yet your point guard is a score-first player. Doesn't make sense.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

They should've dumped Westbrook instead of Harden, IMO. You have unarguably the best scorer in the league on your team yet your point guard is a score-first player. Doesn't make sense.
    Getting rid of elite talent doesn't make sense. Westbrook carried the Thunder for large portions of their last two playoff series.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

They shouldn't have dumped either, and probably wouldn't have if they had known the salary cap/luxury tax line was going to jump up the way it has.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 698
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 329

Aside from how Miami rebuilds, I'm most interested in seeing where Lance goes. He was a border line all-star last year is only 23, but he also scares a lot of teams away.
    I've been trying to read the tea leaves with that, and my best guess right now is that he comes back to the Pacers at around 5-7 mil per year. I think a lot of the teams who have a need at his position were scared off by his antics after he was snubbed for the All Star game, and as long as the Pacers can put up with all the nonsense they'll get a very talented guy with his best basketball ahead of him for a nice discount. If he had kept up his first half of the season play he might have broken into the ten million or more stratosphere, but I doubt anyone's taking that kind of chance on a guy who's earned a reputation as a loose cannon.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 925
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 22

I think all three of Bosh, Wade and James will be back in Miami next year. Whether they renegotiate contracts or not, I don't know, but I'd bet that all three will be back. (Barring a trade by Miami - I don't know if they have veto rights)

The most interesting player in my opinion is Carmelo. If he opts out in NY, he will probably want to go to a major market team. Chicago, LA Lakers, Dallas are teams that have the ability to acquire him as a free agent.

Chicago would have to amnesty Boozer to make room, but they have a solid core to build on, and a great core if Rose can come back at an All-Star level.

The Lakers have to completely rebuild this year, with only Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash to build on.

Dallas will want to re-sign Dirk Nowitzki, and they also lose Shawn Marion, but they retain most of their role players. However, can Dirk and Carmelo co-exist?

Houston could work out a trade for Carmelo, but their balloon payments on Asik and Lin makes it impossible to acquire him as a free agent as things stand now. Combining Carmelo with Harden and Howard would make Houston a title contender. But they have to figure out a way to get NY to agree to a trade.

Of course he could just stay in NY, with Derek Fisher as coach, and Phil Jackson in the front office, maybe they will be better next year. But they still have Amar'e and his huge contract, and they are already well over the luxury tax.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I wonder if Nash just retires. His comeback attempt this season did not go well and he doesn't seem the type to keep playing if he doesn't feel he can compete at a high level.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanj6502 View Post
    I think all three of Bosh, Wade and James will be back in Miami next year. Whether they renegotiate contracts or not, I don't know, but I'd bet that all three will be back. (Barring a trade by Miami - I don't know if they have veto rights)

The most interesting player in my opinion is Carmelo. If he opts out in NY, he will probably want to go to a major market team. Chicago, LA Lakers, Dallas are teams that have the ability to acquire him as a free agent.

Chicago would have to amnesty Boozer to make room, but they have a solid core to build on, and a great core if Rose can come back at an All-Star level.

The Lakers have to completely rebuild this year, with only Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash to build on.

Dallas will want to re-sign Dirk Nowitzki, and they also lose Shawn Marion, but they retain most of their role players. However, can Dirk and Carmelo co-exist?

Houston could work out a trade for Carmelo, but their balloon payments on Asik and Lin makes it impossible to acquire him as a free agent as things stand now. Combining Carmelo with Harden and Howard would make Houston a title contender. But they have to figure out a way to get NY to agree to a trade.

Of course he could just stay in NY, with Derek Fisher as coach, and Phil Jackson in the front office, maybe they will be better next year. But they still have Amar'e and his huge contract, and they are already well over the luxury tax.
    Could there be a worse fit for Nash than playing on a bad Lakers team with an old Kobe, Carmelo and Nick Young? I feel like this would be basketball hell for a guy like Nash, make one pass and you know that ball is not coming back.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Also, if Miami's three stars really want to win, they should look at the Spurs' big three contracts, Parker at $12M, Duncan at $10M and Ginobili at $7M, all three guys have taken considerable pay cuts. LeBron will always be underpaid no matter how much he makes, but he can make more through endorsements anyway, you can build a real nice supporting cast when your stars leave money on the table. That said, I would never fault a guy for getting paid either.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 92

Also, if Miami's three stars really want to win, they should look at the Spurs' big three contracts, Parker at $12M, Duncan at $10M and Ginobili at $7M, all three guys have taken considerable pay cuts. LeBron will always be underpaid no matter how much he makes, but he can make more through endorsements anyway, you can build a real nice supporting cast when your stars leave money on the table. That said, I would never fault a guy for getting paid either.
    I think you tell those guys that if they don't want to renegotiate now, they probably won't be back after next year. You pay LeBron, take a shot next year and see what happens. Then you have a lot of money to go get someone like maybe Carmelo if he doesn't leave or any other guys available. If LeBron bolts, then you just have a lot of money to throw around, you will likely have a lottery guy the next year and you build around that in the future. I just don't see how you pay a ton of money to Wade and Bosh and then sign them again unless Wade finds the fountain of youth. Bosh is what he is which is a guy who can stretch the court a little. There are a lot of those guys.

It's all snark from here on out

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I think you tell those guys that if they don't want to renegotiate now, they probably won't be back after next year. You pay LeBron, take a shot next year and see what happens. Then you have a lot of money to go get someone like maybe Carmelo if he doesn't leave or any other guys available. If LeBron bolts, then you just have a lot of money to throw around, you will likely have a lottery guy the next year and you build around that in the future. I just don't see how you pay a ton of money to Wade and Bosh and then sign them again unless Wade finds the fountain of youth. Bosh is what he is which is a guy who can stretch the court a little. There are a lot of those guys.
    I kind of feel for LeBron this summer. Staying in Miami is simultaneously the option that makes the most sense and also has the highest risk of locking him into a bad long-term situation. Wade especially is an albatross because he is just not going to leave the Heat, he will need to come to the conclusion on his own that it makes sense to take less money and a reduced role.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 925
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    But all three of them have the ETO this year and a player option for 2015-16. It is up to the players to take the contracts or leave them. Not up to Miami, beyond working out a trade.