Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 275

Re: *** Official 2014 NBA Off-Season Thread ***

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...passe-contract

If Indy's five year, 44 million dollar offer isn't good enough for Stephenson's camp, then I wonder if they might be overplaying their hand. If Stephenson wants to get paid AND sign with an up and coming team, his options are limited. From what I've read and heard the Pacers aren't going to budge because of all the money tied up in their other starters.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 650
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by jbindm View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...passe-contract

If Indy's five year, 44 million dollar offer isn't good enough for Stephenson's camp, then I wonder if they might be overplaying their hand. If Stephenson wants to get paid AND sign with an up and coming team, his options are limited. From what I've read and heard the Pacers aren't going to budge because of all the money tied up in their other starters.
    Hornets. The rumor last week was that Charlotte unloading Brendan Haywood's contract was done to give them the ability to offer Lance more than the Pacers could.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 523
    Given: 363

I'd like it if it was shorter or he was younger. He's 30 now. How does dishing out 12 million to a 34 year old big man sound? Two or three year deal makes sense. Five was too long. I like Gortat' s game but the length of the contract is awful for the Wizards.
    It's a little long, but I'm sure Gortat's agent knew he held the upper hand with the Wiz. They can't afford to backpedal from this playoff run if they want to keep that fanbase engaged, and they aren't really going to be a destination for big free agents. Their best bet is to try to keep last year's core intact and hope that consistency and player development lead to improving results.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd like it if it was shorter or he was younger. He's 30 now. How does dishing out 12 million to a 34 year old big man sound? Two or three year deal makes sense. Five was too long. I like Gortat' s game but the length of the contract is awful for the Wizards.
    The last year or two might be ugly, but that could change depending on how much the cap goes up during that time. I would rather overpay for a quality big than a wing, and based on the contracts that guys like Meeks and Bradley got, it looks like there is a lot of teams looking to spend. It is somewhat of a tough spot for the Wizards, they finally have a little success last year, they have a core in Wall-Beal-Nene-Gortat and Ariza if they resign him that can be a playoff team for the next five years but at the same time locking into those guys prevents them from making a run at Durant in two years. Do you take just being a playoff team or do you aim high and try to keep the cap clear and sell Durant on playing with a Wall-Beal backcourt that is just coming into it's prime in 2016-17?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    The last year or two might be ugly, but that could change depending on how much the cap goes up during that time. I would rather overpay for a quality big than a wing, and based on the contracts that guys like Meeks and Bradley got, it looks like there is a lot of teams looking to spend. It is somewhat of a tough spot for the Wizards, they finally have a little success last year, they have a core in Wall-Beal-Nene-Gortat and Ariza if they resign him that can be a playoff team for the next five years but at the same time locking into those guys prevents them from making a run at Durant in two years. Do you take just being a playoff team or do you aim high and try to keep the cap clear and sell Durant on playing with a Wall-Beal backcourt that is just coming into it's prime in 2016-17?
    It doesn't appear like it's just too difficult to shed cap space quickly if you want to make a run at free agents in the NBA's current contract environment. Depending on how Gortat's contract is structured, is this that different than Houston signing Asik and Lin even though everyone knew they were gunning for Howard and other big names? I much prefer it when teams at least try to stay competitive while eyeing a bigger prize.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 9

Boy, going big on Lance Stephenson seems like a very bad choice.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Boy, going big on Lance Stephenson seems like a very bad choice.
    I don't know, there's a lot to like about him once you get past some of his antics. Only 23, good size, good defender, can get to the hole, improving outside shot, can create for others. If you have a strong locker room in place that can keep him in check, I would have no problem investing in him.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know, there's a lot to like about him once you get past some of his antics. Only 23, good size, good defender, can get to the hole, improving outside shot, can create for others. If you have a strong locker room in place that can keep him in check, I would have no problem investing in him.
    Does Charlotte have that? They're awful young aren't they? Big Al doesn't seem like a "lay down the law" star player to me. MJ doesn't have the mentoring reputation that Bird does. Just seems like a bad situation.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He's the biggest gamble on the free agent market other than giving Dwayne Wade and his bum knees ten million per. At his best he's a threat to notch a triple double; at his worst he's a distraction on the court and a horrible decision maker with the ball. I'm biased, but Indy's offer seems about right. If someone chooses to overpay for him then good luck to them.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Aim high. There's nothing exciting about making the playoffs as a five seed every year. Like I said, I could understand a two or three year deal with a player or team option for the final year, but if his play nosedives (as it tends to with big guys over 30) it's going to be hard to move him.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 127

Magic just inked Ben Gordon to a 2 year, $9 million deal. Gordon got cut by Charlotte last year. Nice to have a salary floor that forces teams to spend I guess.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Aim high. There's nothing exciting about making the playoffs as a five seed every year. Like I said, I could understand a two or three year deal with a player or team option for the final year, but if his play nosedives (as it tends to with big guys over 30) it's going to be hard to move him.
    There's nothing exciting about dropping back out of the playoffs and watching your star player get disgruntled because you gambled on signing his supporting cast to cheaper deals and ended up losing them, either.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    There's nothing exciting about dropping back out of the playoffs and watching your star player get disgruntled because you gambled on signing his supporting cast to cheaper deals and ended up losing them, either.
    Fair enough. I don't mind them bring Gortat back; I just don't like the length of the deal or how it's structured. Washington got their guy but they basically outbid themselves.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Cavs supposedly set to throw a max offer at Gordon Hayward, that's too rich for my blood on a player like Hayward.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Cavs supposedly set to throw a max offer at Gordon Hayward, that's too rich for my blood on a player like Hayward.
    Yep, too much for a complementary player. He'd be a nice third option on a playoff team but certainly not a max contract guy.