View Poll Results: What IRA Brokerage firm do you use?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scottrade

3 7.69%
  • Fiedelity

4 10.26%
  • Charles Schwab

3 7.69%
  • Vanguard

21 53.85%
  • E-trade

1 2.56%
  • Other

7 17.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IRA Advice

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 0

Re: IRA Advice

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    If you are 26 and already investing in a Roth IRA you are way ahead of the curve.
    I would argue that investing in a Roth is table stakes. Being ahead of the curve is being 26 and making too much to contribute to a Roth:)

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I appreciate the advice. I am looking to roll over my 401K in to an IRA. I just got done my masters degree and now can focus a little more on saving for retirement and a house. Looking at multiple services, it looks like they all offer a wide range of investment options. It looks like every service has an ETF or mutual fund for everything from blue chip stocks to tech firms in india and everything in between. I am willing to take risks and want an option that has wide range of risks options.

As I stated before, I have invested in stocks in the past and have used scottrade. I am looking for an investment service so I can begin investing and saving for a house, but also use the same service for an IRA. I want to keep the two accounts under the same roof.

I see TD Ameritrade will give me $600 for opening an IRA, which looks attractive from that aspect. Does anyone with TD ameritrade feel constrained by the amount of investment and risk options offered?

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 15

I use Vanguard. Vanguard does not charge commissions for purchasing their in house etf's but they do have a buy sell spread. Which is another way of saying they are not totally without cost. Sometimes they will also claim to no-load as far as purchase of a fund but may fee a half or one percent. Since it is paid directly to Vanguard it is not considered a load. All in all I am satisfied with them. They are good about disclosing when and what they charge. Their commissions are tiered based upon the amount of assets you have with them. Like most places they cater to their millionaires. As always caveat emptor.

Best of luck

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43

TD was the self-directed option in my former employers 401k and I was very happy with their offerings, service, and online/mobile interfaces.

otherwise i have everything at WF under the aforementioned PMA relationship with free trades. the WF client interface is lacking but adequate. I like WF because I spend most of my time on the road in the upper midwest and there are a million branches due to the former norwest (and others) connection.

Starter
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydugouts View Post
    I would argue that investing in a Roth is table stakes. Being ahead of the curve is being 26 and making too much to contribute to a Roth:)
    You can do a backdoor Roth contribution no matter how much money you make, although in some cases there may be unwanted tax consequences.

Starter
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 156

Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    I appreciate the advice. I am looking to roll over my 401K in to an IRA. I just got done my masters degree and now can focus a little more on saving for retirement and a house. Looking at multiple services, it looks like they all offer a wide range of investment options. It looks like every service has an ETF or mutual fund for everything from blue chip stocks to tech firms in india and everything in between. I am willing to take risks and want an option that has wide range of risks options.

As I stated before, I have invested in stocks in the past and have used scottrade. I am looking for an investment service so I can begin investing and saving for a house, but also use the same service for an IRA. I want to keep the two accounts under the same roof.

I see TD Ameritrade will give me $600 for opening an IRA, which looks attractive from that aspect. Does anyone with TD ameritrade feel constrained by the amount of investment and risk options offered?
    The $600 is nice but I guess I would go with one of the big fund companies. You will get some kind of break on their own funds at least. And it feels to me like they are more for the IRA/401k/savings market that seems to be what you are doing, rather than TD Ameritrade or Scotttrade, which I thought were more focused on the "day trader" crowd. I could be mistaken about that. I guess I'd suggest TRPrice, Fidelity, Vanguard -- one of those.

Good luck, and remember to make it rain on CF when you are fabulously wealthy someday.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,535
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 159

Quote Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
    You can do a backdoor Roth contribution no matter how much money you make, although in some cases there may be unwanted tax consequences.
    Related article:

https://about.scottrade.com/blog/blo...ink-Again.html

CCG

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

I have my Roth with Scottrade and my wife has her's with Schwab. I think the Schwab website rocks and makes it very easy to invest and research. Scottrade is decent, but their website is much more difficult to work with.

I'm a Bogglehead disciple so believe Vanguard is a great place to go. The only reason I don't go the Vanguard brokerage route is because I want to have the freedom to invest in non Vanguard related funds. Dodge and Cox is an example of a great mutual fund family that I'm able to buy through both Schwab and Scottrade.

You can't go wrong with most of these choices. Find a website or rep you're comfortable with and start investing!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 508

Am I the only one that uses Edward R Jones?

Ill put any dollar that if I get this ball again, Long said, Its going in.
    - Naz Long to Markel Brown before hitting the game tying shot.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,348
    Given: 1,313

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    I am a T. Rowe Price guy, so I will put a plug in for them since not mentioned yet. They are just a little different and I find they provide excellent personal service and expenses are still low. I don't do a lot of trading or anything like that, just socking money in over time. Rolled over my wife's 401k when she changed jobs to them, and they also did the ESAs for my kids before I switched to 529s.

TRP has very good funds across the board, and also lets you access everybody elses in the brokerage acct. Once you get above a certain $ level, they don't charge any fees for anything.

All that said, Vanguard is great and a lot of my Fidelity 401k is in index funds.

It sounds like you are pretty advanced investor, but one thing I would tell everyone is to check your funds on morningstar to see how they stack up on expenses, risk, and return - in that order of importance. A lot of 401ks (esp smaller companies) get stuck with some lousy fund choices.

I love these personal finance threads.

T. Rowe Price is actually what my 401k is through. Husband has looked through it in more detail and said the fees are similar to Vanguard. If I ever get around to opening some type of Roth IRA, I'll go through Vanguard.