Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,338
    Given: 937

Re: *** Official FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread ***

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    After watching the replay of all 7 goals, I don't think Cesar will be on the team much longer. He was terrible.
    I'm not sure Howard could have saved Brazil tonight.

The entire game was the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. As far as I can tell, Brazil was the first team all World Cup to play Germany outright aggressive. Every other team, including USA, cluttered up the midfield, and while Germany was able to advance the ball, it was much more difficult. Instead, Brazil attacked all evening - which is fine, if they weren't sloppy with the ball and had scored a few goals. Instead, they turned the ball over and over and Germany made them pay on the counter. And while the tactics hung the defense out to dry, the defense outright hung Cesar out to dry. I'd say at least 5 of the goals Cesar gave up weren't his fault. When Germany is playing 4-on-2 in the box all first half, that's not on the goaltender.

Last edited by jdoggivjc; 07-08-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,284
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by TRZA View Post
    Argentina has one guy who is rated really high on FIFA, but Netherlands has way more guys rated high on FIFA. So Netherlands wins but Germany has even more high rated FIFA guys who will win the final on FIFA.
    Only one guy on Aregntina's team? Check Aguero's stats again. I think the top goal scoring threat for Chelsea would be pretty well rated.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,850
    Given: 1,803

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post

this is much better with the music.

new signature ideas needed; inquire within

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 225

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I'm not sure Howard could have saved Brazil tonight.

The entire game was the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. As far as I can tell, Brazil was the first team all World Cup to play Germany outright aggressive. Every other team, including USA, cluttered up the midfield, and while Germany was able to advance the ball, it was much more difficult. Instead, Brazil attacked all evening - which is fine, if they weren't sloppy with the ball and had scored a few goals. Instead, they turned the ball over and over and Germany made them pay on the counter. And while the tactics hung the defense out to dry, the defense outright hung Cesar out to dry. I'd say at least 5 of the goals Cesar gave up weren't his fault. When Germany is playing 4-on-2 in the box all first half, that's not on the goaltender.
    I agree. I rewatched the first half last night (was stuck at work yesterday), and I'm not quite sure what Brazil was trying to do tactically. Were they just trying to outrun Germany to spots? What was with the long pass and pray offense? Germany is just too good, too fundamentally sound, for the attack Brazil was trying. It was as though Brazil did not want to use the mid-field at all.

That game was a classic example of how important "technical" soccer is. Brazil was incredibly sloppy, while Germany was incredibly crisp. The pace of the first 30 minutes was insane, and Germany rarely missed a pass, controlling everything. As soon as Brazil made a mistake with the ball, Germany went for the throat.

It was an *** beating of epic proportions, and the technical skills Germany displayed were incredible.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 476

I think Germany just scored again...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,554
    Given: 278

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Only one guy on Aregntina's team? Check Aguero's stats again. I think the top goal scoring threat for Chelsea would be pretty well rated.
    Aguero plays for Manchester City, but you're right he is a fantastic goal scorer, although he hasn't done anything so far in this tournament. Also Higuain and Levezzi are no slouches either. I know they say Aguero is fit but I really wonder if he's actually healthy enough to play just a week after his injury.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    I agree. I rewatched the first half last night (was stuck at work yesterday), and I'm not quite sure what Brazil was trying to do tactically. Were they just trying to outrun Germany to spots? What was with the long pass and pray offense? Germany is just too good, too fundamentally sound, for the attack Brazil was trying. It was as though Brazil did not want to use the mid-field at all.

That game was a classic example of how important "technical" soccer is. Brazil was incredibly sloppy, while Germany was incredibly crisp. The pace of the first 30 minutes was insane, and Germany rarely missed a pass, controlling everything. As soon as Brazil made a mistake with the ball, Germany went for the throat.

It was an *** beating of epic proportions, and the technical skills Germany displayed were incredible.
    It was like there were no Brazilians in the midfield at all, it was really amazing to watch the Germans carve them up so easily.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

More like how important it is when you are young and much lower on talent than in recent World Cups. When Brazil had the best talent in the forward positions(Ronaldo, Ronadinho, etc) they could simply control the ball and the match. They didnt have that this year, and never adopted a team strategy to compensate. Other teams that lack the elite talent have had to adopt these strategies for years. This reminds me of when the USA basketball team stopped being able to mop up the international competition. The talent was there, but the team chemistry and tactics where way behind, and the talent gap had shrunk to the point where we were losing those games. Americans were just as shocked as the Brazilians, although the way in which Brazil lost is still amazing.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Aguero plays for Manchester City, but you're right he is a fantastic goal scorer, although he hasn't done anything so far in this tournament. Also Higuain and Levezzi are no slouches either. I know they say Aguero is fit but I really wonder if he's actually healthy enough to play just a week after his injury.
    Agreed. My point is that if Argentina had a fit Aguero and DiMaria, they would have been the run away favorites in this tournament. There defense has looked far superior to Brazils as well, making Belgium seem so pedestrain on the attack. This is set up to be a Messi slaying the giant in the German national team in the finals.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We would have beaten Brazil the way they played yesterday. We may not be close to as technically sound as Germany is, but we are trending in that direction. If we played Brazil the way we played Portugal and Brazil played the way they played yesterday, well, it wouldn't be 7-1, but it would be a comfortable win by American standards.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cbro31 View Post
    I think Germany just scored again...
    Too soon.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,169
    Given: 2,036

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Too soon.
    I work on a project in Brazil and have a call every morning with the in-country staff. The guy leading the call this morning started it by saying 'guten tag everybody'.

It was funny.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I work on a project in Brazil and have a call every morning with the in-country staff. The guy leading the call this morning started it by saying 'guten tag everybody'.

It was funny.
    He's dead inside.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

He's dead inside.
    If that guy is working in Brazil he probably didn't make it out of the meeting alive - the office likely rioted.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,867
    Given: 4,202

CF SURVIVOR 4 WINNER!

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!