Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48
  1. #31
    All-Star
    Points: 14,664, Level: 36
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    GTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,513
    Points
    14,664
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 910
    Given: 1,514

    Re: Any Concern Over His Weight is Silly

    Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    The earliest Nelson would hit the field is the fall of 2017 as RS Soph. That is more than enough time for the kid to put on 40-50 lbs. Plus he would seem a good enough athlete and as a basketball player, could always play TE.
    Or he could play for Fred while he redshirts for CPR.



  2. #32
    Walk On
    Points: 3,925, Level: 18
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    157
    Points
    3,925
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 47

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    Its not hard to gain weight. Dude is 6'7", Hell be able to gain weight. Just like anything else it simply takes consistency and frequency of food and workouts. Unless he has a rare medical disorder the only scientific thing he has to do is take in more energy then he burns. Its not rocket science.
    What an asinine and uninformed comment. Many kids have a difficult time gaining weight. Particularly if you are going to gain good weight.

    There is this new scientific discovery called metabolism. Not everyone is the same.



  3. #33
    Legend
    Points: 285,124, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    14,191
    Points
    285,124
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,223
    Given: 2,306

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by jcisuclones View Post
    And there was the Iowa State receiver a few years ago whose mother tried to get his LOI declared invalid because she wanted him to go to Tech of some other Texas school.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  4. #34
    Pro
    Points: 35,380, Level: 57
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isuforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,772
    Points
    35,380
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 208

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by HerkClone View Post
    What an asinine and uninformed comment. Many kids have a difficult time gaining weight. Particularly if you are going to gain good weight.

    There is this new scientific discovery called metabolism. Not everyone is the same.
    mm guess you never heard of steroids



  5. #35
    Prospect
    Points: 2,189, Level: 13
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16
    Points
    2,189
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    And there was the Iowa State receiver a few years ago whose mother tried to get his LOI declared invalid because she wanted him to go to Tech of some other Texas school.
    Sedrick Johnson



  6. #36
    Walk On
    Points: 3,895, Level: 18
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    207
    Points
    3,895
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 5

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Maybe I'm just a kool aid drinker but it seems like ISU is off to a solid start in recruiting.



  7. #37
    Legend
    Points: 180,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,896
    Points
    180,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 730

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by Newell View Post
    Maybe I'm just a kool aid drinker but it seems like ISU is off to a solid start in recruiting.
    Solid, not great, not fabulous, but solid. After last season, I'll take that. Let the team get turned around again, and CPR can build some momentum late with recruiting.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  8. #38
    Walk On
    Points: 3,895, Level: 18
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    207
    Points
    3,895
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 5

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Solid, not great, not fabulous, but solid. After last season, I'll take that. Let the team get turned around again, and CPR can build some momentum late with recruiting.
    When you build a house you start with a solid foundation. Coming off a losing season I'll take solid. The new facilities and planned improvements are having an impact.



  9. #39
    Legend
    Points: 414,010, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,760
    Points
    414,010
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 305

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    Its not hard to gain weight. Dude is 6'7", Hell be able to gain weight. Just like anything else it simply takes consistency and frequency of food and workouts. Unless he has a rare medical disorder the only scientific thing he has to do is take in more energy then he burns. Its not rocket science.
    Eh... I beg to differ. There are a lot of hard gainers out there with sky high metabolisms. (I was one)

    You would also be surprised at the amount of HS kids I train that all they want to do is add bulk for college or Varsity level sports. All of them have incredibly high metabolisms and eat more food than I can imagine. They are also on a very strict workout regime. And it's very difficult for them to gain weight. Also remember, the more muscle mass they add, the higher their metabolism will get.

    That being said: I'm not saying this kid will have a hard time gaining weight because I don't know him and what his metabolic levels are. However, to say it's as easy as just lifting weights and eating a lot of food is ignorant.
    I'm sure our staff will have him on a very strict diet and training routine to gain as much weight and muscle mass as possible, though.


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  10. #40
    Addict
    Points: 75,992, Level: 85
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,774
    Points
    75,992
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 32

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Eh... I beg to differ. There are a lot of hard gainers out there with sky high metabolisms. (I was one)

    You would also be surprised at the amount of HS kids I train that all they want to do is add bulk for college or Varsity level sports. All of them have incredibly high metabolisms and eat more food than I can imagine. They are also on a very strict workout regime. And it's very difficult for them to gain weight. Also remember, the more muscle mass they add, the higher their metabolism will get.

    That being said: I'm not saying this kid will have a hard time gaining weight because I don't know him and what his metabolic levels are. However, to say it's as easy as just lifting weights and eating a lot of food is ignorant.
    I'm sure our staff will have him on a very strict diet and training routine to gain as much weight and muscle mass as possible, though.
    Don't you think a lot of those hard gainers tend to drastically over report the amount of calories they consume?



  11. #41
    Legend
    Points: 414,010, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,760
    Points
    414,010
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 305

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Don't you think a lot of those hard gainers tend to drastically over report the amount of calories they consume?
    Some might, but I know for a fact that some of them could eat 6 square meals a day with protein shakes in between and a mass building training regime and still only gain 10 lbs a year, at the age of 18.


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  12. #42
    Legend
    Points: 220,601, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,725
    Points
    220,601
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,141
    Given: 64

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Some might, but I know for a fact that some of them could eat 6 square meals a day with protein shakes in between and a mass building training regime and still only gain 10 lbs a year, at the age of 18.
    In high school I essentially did this. I'm about 6'1" never got over 170 lbs.



  13. #43
    Walk On
    Points: 3,895, Level: 18
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    207
    Points
    3,895
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 5

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Eh... I beg to differ. There are a lot of hard gainers out there with sky high metabolisms. (I was one)

    You would also be surprised at the amount of HS kids I train that all they want to do is add bulk for college or Varsity level sports. All of them have incredibly high metabolisms and eat more food than I can imagine. They are also on a very strict workout regime. And it's very difficult for them to gain weight. Also remember, the more muscle mass they add, the higher their metabolism will get.

    That being said: I'm not saying this kid will have a hard time gaining weight because I don't know him and what his metabolic levels are. However, to say it's as easy as just lifting weights and eating a lot of food is ignorant.
    I'm sure our staff will have him on a very strict diet and training routine to gain as much weight and muscle mass as possible, though.
    Valid points but those high school kids don't have the dietary dream world of a division one college football player. I walked through the Missouri training center a couple years ago on a recruiting tour and in the weight room there was a supplement kiosk. The person guiding the tour said the supplements are part of the players food plan - free protein shake or whatever supplement the player wants. I imagine ISU is the same way.

    It's a different world from high school. It amazes me some of those guys are such knuckleheads they blow the scholarship and pampered lifestyle doing stupid stuff. If I had it that good at that age I would have fought anybody who tried to take it away.



  14. #44
    Pro
    Points: 134,476, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    stateofmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,752
    Points
    134,476
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 233

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
    I'm impressed with Anthony's father. Very good attitude to support his son. That is a real father.
    Jeff is a really good guy if I remember right. My buddy graduated with me in '88 and went to Iowa. Jeff, Bielema, and my buddy Dumont were all on the DL together.



  15. #45
    Legend
    Points: 414,010, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,760
    Points
    414,010
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 305

    Re: RECRUITING: Two-sport star commits to the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by Newell View Post
    Valid points but those high school kids don't have the dietary dream world of a division one college football player. I walked through the Missouri training center a couple years ago on a recruiting tour and in the weight room there was a supplement kiosk. The person guiding the tour said the supplements are part of the players food plan - free protein shake or whatever supplement the player wants. I imagine ISU is the same way.

    It's a different world from high school. It amazes me some of those guys are such knuckleheads they blow the scholarship and pampered lifestyle doing stupid stuff. If I had it that good at that age I would have fought anybody who tried to take it away.
    Oh I know and realize they will have top notch access to food, supplements, and training staff. But, some hard gainers just don't gain much weight after puberty, unless they take HGH or anabolics. Physiologically, their body just won't allow it as their metabolism is like a raging inferno 24/7.

    Some people just make it seem really simple to walk into a college weight room and put on 50-70 lbs in 2-3 years. Some can, some will be lucky to gain 20 lbs in that same time frame.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM