Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 127

Re: Wish me luck

I come from a long line of alcoholics: Grandfathers on both sides, my dad & all of his siblings, and even my younger brother. I tried to do my best to learn from their mistakes, my brother never took the lessons to heart like I did.

Good luck to you man. Stay strong!

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 275

Best of luck..........Just do it ......you can!

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 25

Go get em! I'll be praying for you, brother!

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,081
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 210

Best of luck! But be prepared for a couple of things here:

1) friends... you may need to surround yourself with new/different friends. And that's probably the hardest part of it all. Your old/current friends are likely your drinking buddies, and if they aren't they're likely enablers at this point.

2) Get past the shame - there's no shame in this at all. And the biggest reason that I believe you've got some shame associated is the very fact that you've taken a different screen name to admit "publicly" that you have a problem. If you were really open to your problem with no shame attached you wouldn't have chosen a secret identity. Look at how supportive folks on here are to a screen name they've never seen before. They'd be equally or more supportive to the real "you" who was already anonymous.

BTW- you're human, as we all are, and we're all prone to mistakes. They happen. Don't blame your past on yourself, and certainly don't dwell in it. Our past is nothing more than a lesson for the future.

Good luck!

Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 975

Quote Originally Posted by secondname View Post
    I'm a regular poster with a new name for this. After a lot of praying and talking it's time to admit I'm an alcoholic. For the past 15 years my life has revolved around alcohol. I need to stop before I hit rock bottom.

As of Saturday I've had my last drink. I must succeed. I will succeed.

Wish me luck.

You don't need luck! You had the courage to make the choice to quit and are already on your way now. Stay humble, stay positive, stay determined, and stay disciplined... you can do this!

Legend
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,566
    Given: 610

Two reasons for my post:

First to deny that this is my alter.

Second to wish secondname luck. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. When you get into the journey and don't want to walk alone, post here, we'll walk along with, or boot you in the arse, depending.

Edit: Also...in addition to luck, I wish you peace and strength. Luck may be nice, but peace and strength will take you farther in this journey. Also community, but I kinda covered that above..but find people to talk to when you are down or need help, or whatever. Heroes go it alone, and heroes often become martyrs.

Last edited by 00clone; 06-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 1

At one time in my life there was a point when I thought if I was not an alcoholic, I was very close. I'm talking about getting plastered 5-6 nights a week. It was affecting my job and my health and I was blacking out frequently during drinking sessions. It was just by luck that I didn't rack up several DWIs during this time. The thing that brought me out of it was marrying and having a couple of kids. It didn't do that for me right away, naturally, as I still went on the occasional bender, only this time with my wife in tow. But you eventually realize that you have more than one mouth to feed now and you just can't afford to go out as often as you used to. My now ex-wife never did learn that lesson and is a raging alcoholic to this day.

Then too, my dad was an alcoholic and I knew what it was like to grow up around that. I didn't want the same thing for my kids. I can say to this day, my grown children have never seen me drunk and have only twice that I know of seen me take a drink at all, and that was at a restaurant, where I might have a bloody mary with supper. Today, I don't drink but maybe 3-6 times a year and then I only have one. There are many years that go by that I don't even drink that frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by secondname View Post
    I'm a regular poster with a new name for this. After a lot of praying and talking it's time to admit I'm an alcoholic. For the past 15 years my life has revolved around alcohol. I need to stop before I hit rock bottom.

As of Saturday I've had my last drink. I must succeed. I will succeed.

Wish me luck.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 249

Quote Originally Posted by TXCyclones View Post
    2) Get past the shame - there's no shame in this at all. And the biggest reason that I believe you've got some shame associated is the very fact that you've taken a different screen name to admit "publicly" that you have a problem. If you were really open to your problem with no shame attached you wouldn't have chosen a secret identity. Look at how supportive folks on here are to a screen name they've never seen before. They'd be equally or more supportive to the real "you" who was already anonymous.
    Keep in mind that the bolded part is not necessarily true. One can infer from occasional thread conversations that posters on here know each other outside of CF. And in some case, posters have readily divulged their true identity.

For the OP, congrats...you've made the right choice. There will certainly be things coming up in the short term to make you doubt your choice, and some of those have already been mentioned. But you have folks here and probably elsewhere praying for you to persevere through your recovery.

God Bless!!

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,530
    Given: 95

It get's easier after about 3 months. Good luck friend.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,179
    Given: 3,754

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    At one time in my life there was a point when I thought if I was not an alcoholic, I was very close. I'm talking about getting plastered 5-6 nights a week. It was affecting my job and my health and I was blacking out frequently during drinking sessions. It was just by luck that I didn't rack up several DWIs during this time. The thing that brought me out of it was marrying and having a couple of kids. It didn't do that for me right away, naturally, as I still went on the occasional bender, only this time with my wife in tow. But you eventually realize that you have more than one mouth to feed now and you just can't afford to go out as often as you used to. My now ex-wife never did learn that lesson and is a raging alcoholic to this day.

Then too, my dad was an alcoholic and I knew what it was like to grow up around that. I didn't want the same thing for my kids. I can say to this day, my grown children have never seen me drunk and have only twice that I know of seen me take a drink at all, and that was at a restaurant, where I might have a bloody mary with supper. Today, I don't drink but maybe 3-6 times a year and then I only have one. There are many years that go by that I don't even drink that frequently.
    Bipolar brings up a good point. There are alcoholics who do find a way to beat the bottle but still can find a way to have a drink now and then. Most are not successful with this. I feel really bad for people with addiction to food because obviously you can't quit cold turkey and vow to never touch another bite like alcoholics do. There are some priests and ministers who have a hard time with alcoholism because their jobs generally require them to partake regularly - even if it is small amounts.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 491
    Given: 294

I wish you guts.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,148
    Given: 2,939

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Bipolar brings up a good point. There are alcoholics who do find a way to beat the bottle but still can find a way to have a drink now and then. Most are not successful with this. I feel really bad for people with addiction to food because obviously you can't quit cold turkey and vow to never touch another bite like alcoholics do. There are some priests and ministers who have a hard time with alcoholism because their jobs generally require them to partake regularly - even if it is small amounts.
    That's one reason why many protestant denominations have switched to grape juice instead of wine for communion.

I used Chantix in 2005. I have not had a cigarette since then (after smoking for 25 years). There are times when I still desperately miss having a smoke. I don't dare smoke one, because I know that if I have one, I won't stop there. Some people can smoke one or two at a bar, then not smoke again for months. That's not me.

Basically, secondname, you need to know what kind of limits you have...and until you are firmly in control, "just one drink" can (and will) hurt you. FWIW, I will never have that kind of control over my addiction.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,179
    Given: 3,754

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    That's one reason why many protestant denominations have switched to grape juice instead of wine for communion.

I used Chantix in 2005. I have not had a cigarette since then (after smoking for 25 years). There are times when I still desperately miss having a smoke. I don't dare smoke one, because I know that if I have one, I won't stop there. Some people can smoke one or two at a bar, then not smoke again for months. That's not me.

Basically, secondname, you need to know what kind of limits you have...and until you are firmly in control, "just one drink" can (and will) hurt you. FWIW, I will never have that kind of control over my addiction.
    Agreed. Don't try "just one" especially early on. It is a recipe for disaster. I had a friend who always thought someday he could get to that point, but after being sober for 10+ years he thought he could but realized that being totally sober was much more important to him than being able to just have one once in a while.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 740
    Given: 92

Just remember this: It's not about quitting forever. It's about quitting for today.

Think about that every day. If you take it day by day, it's much easier than looking out 5, 10, or 20 years and thinking about it.

Another one: You don't have to stop doing it. Just quit buying it.

I know that last one has some loopholes but if you think about the core point, I think you'll be fine. I haven't ever had to quit drinking but there are other things that weren't good for me (all legal) that I have quit using those two concepts. They weren't as serious or as long term as what you are doing but the day-by-day thing really changed my mentality and the "game," for lack of a better term, kind of changed.

It's all snark from here on out

Prospect
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 0

Thanks again. I am not the type to sneak a beer at lunch or drink one before doing chores. However, as soon as I drink that first beer I know I won't be done until I am almost blacked out. I flirt with women, I spend money on things I don't recall, and I spend almost every morning with a hangover. I've forgone prescriptions that you can't take with alcohol because I'd rather drink than get healthy.

Already today I've been asked to participate in two events focused on alcohol later this month. I'm going to have to learn the balance of not even attending these events and just saying no to the alcohol.

Last edited by secondname; 06-09-2014 at 05:21 PM.