Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 15

Re: How to Tip

This thread reminds me of a early, early Cyclone Fanatic thread back in the day about all the things that people do that annoy bartenders. Is there another service profession that gets to gripe more than bartenders? I'm pretty sure most service industry professionals don't get away with acting like a doosh if you don't order a drink properly, don't sit at the right stool, for the right amount of time, don't tip exactly how they want, don't use correct eye contact, don't fold your dollar bill the correct way, don't talk about the right things, breathe their air, block their moonlight. It's like you are an inconvenience to them and what they would rather be doing, which is likely smoking weed and stealing from their boss.

Getting broken down over time but still fueling the fire and keeping it hot

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,595
    Given: 1,350

Quote Originally Posted by cyrevkah View Post
    No one has brought up their thoughts on the restaurants that gather the tips at the end of the day and equally split them to the staff. The lack of tip or lesser tip may not mean as much then.
    Don't enable the cheapskates.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 102

Quote Originally Posted by BeachAve View Post

The only 'entitled' ones here are the people who are either 'above' working in a service job, or 'above' tipping, because they're used to be catered to growing up. LOL
    Who here is saying they are "above" tipping?

And you sound like the entitled bartender in the article who demands high tips.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 118

Some good points brought up...I think the percentage thing in terms of same percent for a $100 meal vs $8 meal if the service was the exact same is intriguing. I know, for me, if I'm at a "greasy spoon" or place like that, I feel like giving a bigger tip just because I feel I paid less for the meal and many times I feel I may be the only tip they get in the hour.

I agree with many...don't like that the "standard" tip is creeping up to 20% and beyond.

I also don't always understand who all deserves a tip. Like if I take an airport shuttle and lift my one bag into the van and the person offers to do it or grab it out for me, that just doesn't seem "tip" able...same with hotel housekeeping...goes back to the bigger argument of "why can't that just be the job and the employers pay accordingly?"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

Again, everyone should be forced to wait tables or bartend for 6 months out of their life and acquire some humility.
    There's a difference between "humility" and realizing that tipping has gotten outrageous. Two tables of 4 order $50 worth of food/drinks. Both tables probably turn over within an hour. A 20% tip + $4.35 in wages is doing pretty damn well. A 10% tip is still doing $14.35 gross for that hour which is still a very good wage for 50% of the population.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 2,917

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    Some good points brought up...I think the percentage thing in terms of same percent for a $100 meal vs $8 meal if the service was the exact same is intriguing. I know, for me, if I'm at a "greasy spoon" or place like that, I feel like giving a bigger tip just because I feel I paid less for the meal and many times I feel I may be the only tip they get in the hour.

I agree with many...don't like that the "standard" tip is creeping up to 20% and beyond.

I also don't always understand who all deserves a tip. Like if I take an airport shuttle and lift my one bag into the van and the person offers to do it or grab it out for me, that just doesn't seem "tip" able...same with hotel housekeeping...goes back to the bigger argument of "why can't that just be the job and the employers pay accordingly?"
    I think most restaurateurs would say that they'd have to charge more for their food and drinks if they didn't have the public to help take some of that load off via tipping. I'd guess it's the same for hotels and the like. That's just my guess, though, I honestly don't know.

M 7/09

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    First, you can't take out taxes when trying to get to minimum wage. Everyone has to pay them. Second, if you are making minimum wage, or close, there is no way you are paying 31% in taxes ($1.35 in your example).

And if you make $1,000 in sales, I'd expect you to make around $150-$200 in tips (on average). Decent night, you make $150 - $25 tip out + $4.35/hr for 8 hrs = $159.80. That's $19.98 per hour. Not bad at all.

Let's say you have a great tip night and get 20%. $200 - $25 tip out + $4.35/hr for 8 hours = $209.80. Or $26.23 per hour.

Even if you have a terrible night and get 10% in tips. $100 - $25 tip out + $4.35/hr for 8 hours = $109.80. Or $13.73 per hour.

So how are you making less than minimum wage? I suppose if NO ONE tips you for 8 hours and $1,000 in sales...
    Tip share mostly.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,034
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by DIRustCohle View Post
    This thread reminds me of a early, early Cyclone Fanatic thread back in the day about all the things that people do that annoy bartenders. Is there another service profession that gets to gripe more than bartenders? I'm pretty sure most service industry professionals don't get away with acting like a doosh if you don't order a drink properly, don't sit at the right stool, for the right amount of time, don't tip exactly how they want, don't use correct eye contact, don't fold your dollar bill the correct way, don't talk about the right things, breathe their air, block their moonlight. It's like you are an inconvenience to them and what they would rather be doing, which is likely smoking weed and stealing from their boss.
    Man, you know me so well. Seriously, you are a ********.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 96

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    You should IMO. Let's say you and your wife spend $20 at Applebees. You really think leaving the server $2 is appropriate after she 1) takes your order, 2) gets you drinks, 3) refills your drinks, 4) brings you your food, 5) cleans up after you, and 6) brings you the check after watching out for you for an hour...all while you don't have to get up and do it yourself. $2?

I get the gripe about $1 for a bottle of beer or a lower % at a nicer restaurant because they will still get a good amount of money but a low tip at a chain where food is $10-$15 per entree seems really, really cheap.
    I'm not there to pay the person's wage for fulfilling their job requirements. I am ok with giving them a little bonus for being adequate at their job and yes, I do give more than 10% most of the time, just saying I wouldn't feel bad leaving $2 on a $20 ticket.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Legend
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 636
    Given: 1,250

Quote Originally Posted by DIRustCohle View Post
    If this is all you get from your bartender then you should probably find a different tap to frequent. Yeah there are some with issues with entitlement and griping just like with every job, but bartenders also have to deal with people who are slowly crawling into the bottle every night which gets pretty old as well.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 0

Again, everyone should be forced to wait tables or bartend for 6 months out of their life and acquire some humility.

The only 'entitled' ones here are the people who are either 'above' working in a service job, or 'above' tipping, because they're used to be catered to growing up. LOL

Tipping has been around for generations...and centuries in some countries. It's not like it's some new fangled fad being forced on you.

always embarrassed if I happen upon a cheap dinner guest. I usually find myself tipping more to compensate for #clueless haha
    So do you tip for all services, or just at restaurants? So does your garbage man, barber, and furniture delivery persons all get 20% of your bill?

What about when you purchase a car, should you send in a check for 20% of the cost to the factory for assembling it correctly?

I don't get why the restaurant service industry has this idea that we should pay 20% more than the price listed. Just charge a rate that allows you to pay your servers to do their job. Don't expect me to pay them for you.

Legend
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,008
    Given: 994

I seriously wish we'd just become like the UK and pretty much every other 1st world country. Restaurants are required to pay a decent wage, and no tipping expected.

Though those other countries would probably protest if the US did that. They love the American tourists coming in and giving them a 20% tip because they don't realize they aren't expected to.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2

I agree with the pay your damn employees crowd. If they do an awesome job then I will leave them a few bucks.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    I agree with the pay your damn employees crowd. If they do an awesome job then I will leave them a few bucks.
    This supposedly is the new thing coming down the pipe. Some high scale restaurants are doing this already. Paying their employees well because they want to be sure that the service is worthy of the establishment and then don't even leave an option for a tip on the bill.

I'm also torn on this. I've got a second job because 1. I really like the place I work (most craft on tap in the us, other guys who are as passionate about craft as me, fun customers for the most part) and 2. I make bank during the summer while I'm not teaching. If I wasn't bringing home the cash I do right now, I would be doing something else. However right now during the summer, I can make more per month behind the bar than I do teaching.

However, at this point, tipping is part of the culture. If you want to go against the culture, I would make sure that you notify your server of your wishes. If I hand you your bill and you leave me a zero after I take care of you all night, you had better believe I'm going to look at that zero, walk out to the parking lot, and ask you what the deal was.

Last edited by Cybyassociation; 06-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 404

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I think most restaurateurs would say that they'd have to charge more for their food and drinks if they didn't have the public to help take some of that load off via tipping. I'd guess it's the same for hotels and the like. That's just my guess, though, I honestly don't know.
    I've seen that argument as well and it makes no sense to me. All that would do is transfer the cost onto the menu instead of being tacked on at the end. The total cost of eating out would not change. If anything it would go down since servers would be getting paid a consistent amount and wouldn't be going home with a couple hundred bucks of cash in their pockets on a busy night.