50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 280

Re: How to Tip

Quote Originally Posted by BeachAve View Post
    That's pretty retro...as in 1983
    Why should the percentage of tip rise over time? It is a percentage, not a flat amount.

Walk On
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Why should the percentage of tip rise over time? It is a percentage, not a flat amount.
    I have seen people I know evolve over time....once flat-out cheap (10%), and have gotten more in line with modern day practices. Two cases were people from farms. lol. They just didn't know any better. 5% was even satisfactory in their minds....

Last edited by BeachAve; 06-10-2014 at 11:52 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

ill start this by saying no one is entitled to a good tip. tips = To Insure Proper Service

having worked in a chain restaurant you can very easily make less than minimum wage even on a busy night.

start by getting paid 4.35 an hour after taxes lets say its closer to $3. work 4-12. Net $24

then tip out 2.5% of your sales. usually on a friday $1000 in sales. thats a $25 tip out. thats -1$ for showing up.

i do a great job. but the way restaurant workers are paid is very flawed. point being if they do a good job, tip accordingly. if they do an awful job go with 5-10%. also never be afraid to grab a manager if someone does that terrible of a job.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 2

I have seen people I know evolve over time....once flat-out cheat (10%), and have gotten more in line with modern day practices. Two cases were people from farms. lol. They just didn't know any better. 5% was even satisfactory in their minds....
    I guess I am a jerk then. You get what you deserve. Especially if what others have said that you are legally able to go to your boss and get paid whatever you need to make minimum wage is true.

I am not demanding and quite laid back.*We don't go out to upscale places because we can't afford it at this point in our life so if tipping our Applebee's Cheddars, BJ's Brewhouse or Logan's waiter10-15% is bad well then I guess I am a bad person.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 193

I found this interesting. U.S. Department of Labor has each state's "Minimum Wage for Tipped Employees"

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop): Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by DIRustCohle View Post
    Like many, I had issues with this article. I pretty much knew from reading the guy was a 24-30 year old doosh. Not sure if he is north of that or not.

First of all, do any of them really make $2.00 an hour? Both my kids bartend (in school) and I don't think either have ever made less than $8.00 an hour plus tips, and that is in the Midwest.

Is change no longer legal tender? I had a buddy in college that took all his change home and put it in a jar. He would bank it in December, and May, and it was always over $1000.00. I would like to thank the writer for making me aware that when I tip a $1.00 plus remaining change when I get a drink, I'm being a dick. I will now keep the change I have been giving. Based on how much I typically drink, It will be around $500 a year back in my pocket.

One of the biggest issues I have with his wisdom is that he is literally saying if you tip us more, we will steal from our owner to give you free drinks. I'm sure bar owners are happy about that one. I understand that happens, I know it's part of the trade, but I don't think he would openly write about that if it was his dollar going into he pockets of his staff, customers.
    In big cities, I'm sure $2 an hour is not unheard of. I think I make $4 an hour + tips. If your kids were making $8 an hour, they must have been working at a country club, a bar that sees very few patrons, or they are required to tip out every single person on staff at the end of every shift. I've never heard of an establishment that pays anything over minimum wage.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    My friends brother works at Dairy Queen and I guess when you start there, you make less than minimum wage because they have the little plastic cup by the register for tips. He said that at the end of the shift, there is usually like $0.10 in there or something.
    I was at Dairy Queen in Urbandale a few weeks ago, and they had two tip jars. One with the Iowa State logo, the other with Iowa's. I felt obliged in that case to tip. And, in case you are interested, the Iowa State cup probably had three times as much in it as Iowa's.

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    We don't go out to upscale places because we can't afford it at this point in our life so if tipping our Applebee's Cheddars, BJ's Brewhouse or Logan's waiter10-15% is bad well then I guess I am a bad person.
    You're not bad at all. Just cheap

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 2

You're not bad at all. Just cheap
    I can handle being cheap.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 0

So I ask again, are servers employees of the restaurant or employees of the customer? Tips should be rewards, not a requirement.

If your wages are too low complain to your congressman about how the minimum wage is setup for this category.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 480
    Given: 928

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    So I ask again, are servers employees of the restaurant or employees of the customer? Tips should be rewards, not a requirement.

If your wages are too low complain to your congressman about how the minimum wage is setup for this category.
    Minnesota is one state where employers are still required to pay at least the state standard minimum wage to tipped employees. That is currently just below the standard federal minimum wage ($6.15) but will be ratcheting upward during the next couple of years landing at $9.50 and tied to inflation after that. Tipped employees will be doing pretty well in Minnesota and depending on how food and beverage prices are affected by this I may adjust my 20% starting point accordingly.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,306
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Cybyassociation View Post
    In big cities, I'm sure $2 an hour is not unheard of. I think I make $4 an hour + tips. If your kids were making $8 an hour, they must have been working at a country club, a bar that sees very few patrons, or they are required to tip out every single person on staff at the end of every shift. I've never heard of an establishment that pays anything over minimum wage.
    By the time I stopped bartending at a restaurant in NW Iowa I was making $6.25 an hour. I thought that was great because I was still making over $75 on average nights in tips

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is not unlike any other retail business. Some waiters/bartenders have helped shape a reputation of an establishment, have an incredibly faithful, personal clientele/following, and work in a fun, entertaining, popular venue. They have created their own 'book-of-business'...Hence, they make very good money.

One restaurant in CR is relatively new with a talented, likeable bartender, top-notch servers who have tons of repeat customers, and is well- managed

The owner has 25 years experience, is college-educated with other experience in inventory management---he is a expert with ordering and keeping a low inventory of product--always fresh ingredients--nothing nuked or frozen.

He hires full-timers and offers healthcare plans. He has very little turnover. he gives new employees 3 days to prove they have what it takes, or they're told to find another career. no messing around

Last edited by BeachAve; 06-10-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by josh4isu View Post
    ill start this by saying no one is entitled to a good tip. tips = To Insure Proper Service

having worked in a chain restaurant you can very easily make less than minimum wage even on a busy night.

start by getting paid 4.35 an hour after taxes lets say its closer to $3. work 4-12. Net $24

then tip out 2.5% of your sales. usually on a friday $1000 in sales. thats a $25 tip out. thats -1$ for showing up.

i do a great job. but the way restaurant workers are paid is very flawed. point being if they do a good job, tip accordingly. if they do an awful job go with 5-10%. also never be afraid to grab a manager if someone does that terrible of a job.
    First, you can't take out taxes when trying to get to minimum wage. Everyone has to pay them. Second, if you are making minimum wage, or close, there is no way you are paying 31% in taxes ($1.35 in your example).

And if you make $1,000 in sales, I'd expect you to make around $150-$200 in tips (on average). Decent night, you make $150 - $25 tip out + $4.35/hr for 8 hrs = $159.80. That's $19.98 per hour. Not bad at all.

Let's say you have a great tip night and get 20%. $200 - $25 tip out + $4.35/hr for 8 hours = $209.80. Or $26.23 per hour.

Even if you have a terrible night and get 10% in tips. $100 - $25 tip out + $4.35/hr for 8 hours = $109.80. Or $13.73 per hour.

So how are you making less than minimum wage? I suppose if NO ONE tips you for 8 hours and $1,000 in sales...

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 280

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    First, you can't take out taxes when trying to get to minimum wage. Everyone has to pay them. Second, if you are making minimum wage, or close, there is no way you are paying 31% in taxes ($1.35 in your example).
    Plus very few servers actually pay taxes on any tips greater than the amount the IRS does automatically. So they are really making more in take home pay than a normal person would making that same amount per hour.