Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 78

How to Tip

Some real sense of entitlement in this article:

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/...ide-to-tipping

These 2 especially got me:

"We hate when people give us quarters. If someone's gonna put 50 cents at the bar, I smirk and won't even take it. Don't waste my time with change. if you're gonna make an effort, give me a dollar."
    The 30 seconds it takes to open a beer or pour a draft and you won't even waste your time with 50 cents? It HAS to be a dollar?

And this one too:

If a hot meal arrives cold: 15%
    "Some places reheat the food if it has been sitting for a while, but honestly I do my best to keep my car heat on full blast during cold days in order to ensure that the food stays warm. If it arrives cold, it seems unlikely that it was the driver's fault."

Eternal Student
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 135
    Given: 515

Re: How to Tip

Nothing annoys me more than self-righteous people telling me how much I should tip them. If they do a good job, they'll get a good tip. If they do a ****** job, they'll get a ****** tip. End of discussion.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 426

That's a little out of line in some spots, but a good 10 to 20 percent of customers shouldn't be eating out at restaurants in this country the way they tip. There's a definite connection between the worst customers and worst tippers too, just all around miserable people.

As much as I detest bad tippers, if a tipped professional is outright mean they should always get 0%. Why would anyone pay someone to be mean to them in any circumstance? As long as they're trying 15% even if things aren't perfect, 20% for doing any sort of good job. Beyond that it's up to the person, but staff shouldn't expect it. If you're a waiter/bartender mad with 20% you should try to get a job at a more expensive place instead of griping.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 59

Tip a bartender $1 a beer? Generally when we go out we'll take turns buying each round and I've yet to meet a bartender who put in so much work to open 7-10 beers that they deserve a $7-$10 tip.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 995
    Given: 83

I'm a consistent 20% tipper, (for good service) but that article was outrageous. A tip is a reward for service. I don't care if it's not your fault if the food is cold or you're an hour late, your company still provided poor service, ergo you're not getting a big tip, if you're getting one at all. It should never be taken for granted, and there sure as hell is no baseline tip regardless of service rendered.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 995
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Tip a bartender $1 a beer? Generally when we go out we'll take turns buying each round and I've yet to meet a bartender who put in so much work to open 7-10 beers that they deserve a $7-$10 tip.
    I was just at a bar in Kansas City, where the liquor shelf was like 20 feet high, and the bartenders had to climb a ladder to get up to some of the more exotic liquors. Of course, the group of guys I was with made a point to order stuff from the higher shelves, but that was mainly because the bartender was cute, and watching her climb the ladder was just wonderful. We did tip her a lot, though.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,953
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 39

HAHA, if you want to be a regular the staff likes, 50% tip? Are they high? I will admit, if you are a mixed drink drinker, tipping a decent amount should happen. Or if I'm at a place like El Bait Shop where they are constantly giving me tastes to see what to order next. But if i do my usual, come into a bar and order the beer I see on tap and you pour it for me, honestly, imo, that's worth about 25 cents. Because that's the work you put into it. $1 tip for pouring a beer every time? That's the equivalent of what? $120/hr?

I really think tipping should be based on flat rates, not %. I've been to a lot of diners for Breakfast where I spent about $8 for a good breakfast that was served fast and hot and my coffee was always full. That person probably did more, but at least the same amount of work as places where I have spent $200 on a dinner for my wife and I. I think in both cases, $15 would have been plenty of a decent tip for the work done. Although by %, I should have given one $1.60 and another $40. That's where this **** gets screwed up.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

In some regards... I don't even care if the service is slightly below average as long as the person is pleasant and it looks like they are making an effort to take care of us. I always try to remember that these people have one of the most thankless jobs ever. It's the terrible customers that either tip like crap or abuse their servers that ruin things for the rest of us.

I couldn't even imagine showing up at work and being paid a pathetically low hourly wage and then depending on my boss to tip me for a job well done on everything I do during the day. We all know how often bosses specifically recognize their employees for a job well done... Think about it.

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    HAHA, if you want to be a regular the staff likes, 50% tip? Are they high? I will admit, if you are a mixed drink drinker, tipping a decent amount should happen. Or if I'm at a place like El Bait Shop where they are constantly giving me tastes to see what to order next. But if i do my usual, come into a bar and order the beer I see on tap and you pour it for me, honestly, imo, that's worth about 25 cents. Because that's the work you put into it. $1 tip for pouring a beer every time? That's the equivalent of what? $120/hr?

I really think tipping should be based on flat rates, not %. I've been to a lot of diners for Breakfast where I spent about $8 for a good breakfast that was served fast and hot and my coffee was always full. That person probably did more, but at least the same amount of work as places where I have spent $200 on a dinner for my wife and I. I think in both cases, $15 would have been plenty of a decent tip for the work done. Although by %, I should have given one $1.60 and another $40. That's where this **** gets screwed up.
    I have always had an issue with this at nice restaurants. Although typically the staff at those places are a lot better than you get at a typical middle of the road place. However if I order a $200 bottle of wine, did they really do $30-40 worth of work to open it and pour into my glass??? Versus if I ordered a $50, they did the same work - but "only" get an extra $7-10?

I have been some diners and had a great experience, but the bill is $7-10 - i always leave at least a $5 tip, sometimes $10 if they make my breakfast experience pleasant (also if they entertain my baby while i am trying to eat, that gets extra).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,306
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 49

As a bartender and past server I'll disagree with some of those things. $1 a drink is the most I expect, not the standard. I have no problem with someone that orders a drink for $2.50 or $3.25 and just gives me the change as a tip. Also, although I will always tip 20% for normal service, I would never expect it from anyone, but be happy when I got it. I remember the really bad tippers and that effects future service.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 280

I'm no Mr. Pink. I tip in places where it is traditional to tip, and I don't stiff people for things out of their control.

But...

Tipping has gotten out of hand. If everyone actually followed the "tipping rules" then servers/hotel maids/etc would be making $50 an hour or more, and bartenders would be making hundreds of bucks an hour on a busy night. Plus if I actually followed all the suggestions for who to tip, and how much, I'd have no money left to actually buy things.

Also, why does the tipping percentage that is expected keep going up? I keep hearing 20% now. It's a percentage of the bill, it naturally adjusts with inflation! It shouldn't increase with time.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

20% standard for me mostly because the math is easy. 30% or more for the exceptional experience. Just over 10% for the other.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 73

When did 20% become the standard? I always thought it was 15% and adjust from there...

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I was just at a bar in Kansas City, where the liquor shelf was like 20 feet high, and the bartenders had to climb a ladder to get up to some of the more exotic liquors. Of course, the group of guys I was with made a point to order stuff from the higher shelves, but that was mainly because the bartender was cute, and watching her climb the ladder was just wonderful. We did tip her a lot, though.
    "Nice beaver"

"Thanks I just had it stuffed"

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 708

Summary: these bartenders are greedy, the baristas are grateful, and delivery is somewhere in between.

I believe strongly in tipping people properly, but it sounds like these articles all basically say "tip well because we're getting screwed by others." Good service deserves a good tip, acceptable service deserves a standard tip, and bad service, well, you know.