Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Promise Rings

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 763
    Given: 3,058

Re: Promise Rings

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    For the same reason there are people that thinking pushing abstinence-only sex education is a good idea, and I'm sure it's pretty much the same people pulling this crap with their kids.
    Yikes. That seems like such a terrible, oppressive idea that is pretty much sure to make a child rebel. Arm them with info, and they can make an actual decision.

Two words on abstinence-only ed: Bristol Palin

M 7/09

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 317

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Yikes. That seems like such a terrible, oppressive idea that is pretty much sure to make a child rebel. Arm them with info, and they can make an actual decision.

Two words on abstinence-only ed: Bristol Palin
    I agree. The whole thing has this creepy feel of protecting your daughter's property value so she can fetch a high dowry when the time is right. It also seems brainwash-y and abusive. Just ugly all around.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 87

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    As is the 3 months salary guideline for engagement rings.

The diamond industry has literally tons of diamonds - including small ones - in storage and the only way to move more of them without affecting the artificially high prices they have groomed over decades is to increase demand. The promise ring was one (failed, I thought, but maybe not entirely) attempt at increasing demand for some of the smaller inventory.

One of my favorite things lately is the huge ad campaign for "chocolate diamonds". They take common unacceptable diamonds due to poor color which would normally be simply used as industrial diamonds and tout them as something unique and desireable and try to get people to pay a premium for them.

If you have time and are interested read up on the diamond industry. Talk about an industry creating a demand - these guys were brilliant at it.
    Yeah, I didn't get anywhere near that and her rings are still pretty sparkly.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 281

The only reason I could see buying one is to get some, and this is the only way to prove your love.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 281

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    As is the 3 months salary guideline for engagement rings.

The diamond industry has literally tons of diamonds - including small ones - in storage and the only way to move more of them without affecting the artificially high prices they have groomed over decades is to increase demand. The promise ring was one (failed, I thought, but maybe not entirely) attempt at increasing demand for some of the smaller inventory.

One of my favorite things lately is the huge ad campaign for "chocolate diamonds". They take common unacceptable diamonds due to poor color which would normally be simply used as industrial diamonds and tout them as something unique and desireable and try to get people to pay a premium for them.

If you have time and are interested read up on the diamond industry. Talk about an industry creating a demand - these guys were brilliant at it.
    I'm not trying to brag about my pay or anything, but my wife's engagement ring is a REALLY nice diamond, and it wasn't 3 months salary!

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 863
    Given: 1,733

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    I'm not trying to brag about my pay or anything, but my wife's engagement ring is a REALLY nice diamond, and it wasn't 3 months salary!
    Yeah, I took the tack that it is 3 months pay after taxes and expenses. In that case I overspent!

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 945
    Given: 51

I always kind of thought the 3 months thing was more to give you a chance to think hard about marriage.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 115

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Really, engagement rings are the same, just with a slightly longer history.
    Youre preaching to the choir now.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 616

Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    This is a thing? that seems really creepy to me.

I think it depends on the family. I've only really heard about it for some Christian circles. It's supposed to be a promise to her parents or dad.... I have no idea if people still do that or what the circumstances would be.

8/17/12

If you want something more sobering, feel free to visit this blog:
    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think I've heard of dads giving their daughters purity/promise rings. Is it like when a girl gets her own purity ring to promise to stay a virgin? Why would a dad get involved in that decision? That seems really creepy, unless I'm missing something.

I don't think that the idea of a promise ring is necessary, overall. I don't really get why a college couple would do it, just wait until you have money for the real thing? My husband was going to get me one, told one of his female friends about it, and she explained to him that it was pretty insulting to do at 24 years old.

I don't remember if it's a dad/daughter promise or parental....It could be just the girl's idea too. I remember hearing about it a lot during high school. At the time I thought it was a promise to the parents....

8/17/12

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I agree. The whole thing has this creepy feel of protecting your daughter's property value so she can fetch a high dowry when the time is right. It also seems brainwash-y and abusive. Just ugly all around.

As far as abusive/oppressive/brainwash-y I think it depends on how the parents go about it. When I was in high school it was more 'the thing to do' or at least talk about with the daughter. The girl could always not agree/promise..... or they go ahead and break it anyway (nothing is stopping them).

8/17/12

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 17

I don't think I've heard of dads giving their daughters purity/promise rings. Is it like when a girl gets her own purity ring to promise to stay a virgin? Why would a dad get involved in that decision? That seems really creepy, unless I'm missing something.

I don't think that the idea of a promise ring is necessary, overall. I don't really get why a college couple would do it, just wait until you have money for the real thing? My husband was going to get me one, told one of his female friends about it, and she explained to him that it was pretty insulting to do at 24 years old.
    I do think that parents (both mothers and fathers) should talk to their children about sex. Not guiding a teenager or at least talking with them about sex is foolish as they are full of hormones with little impulse control or skills to function in a serious relationship. Kids are becoming incredibly promiscuous at younger ages and it is not healthy. As far as a promise ring, they are a waste of time and money. I was young and bought one at Ames Silversmithing for my girlfriend about 20 years ago. I am sure she got a pretty penny for it at the pawn shop, but I guess it was a lot cheaper than a divorce.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Haven't read a single thing in this thread, just saw the title and all I have to say is...

Promise rings, NO!

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 232

Quote Originally Posted by JVAR View Post
    I do think that parents (both mothers and fathers) should talk to their children about sex. Not guiding a teenager or at least talking with them about sex is foolish as they are full of hormones with little impulse control or skills to function in a serious relationship. Kids are becoming incredibly promiscuous at younger ages and it is not healthy. As far as a promise ring, they are a waste of time and money. I was young and bought one at Ames Silversmithing for my girlfriend about 20 years ago. I am sure she got a pretty penny for it at the pawn shop, but I guess it was a lot cheaper than a divorce.
    I agree parents should talk to their kids about sex, but I disagree that my generation is much more promiscuous than previous ones, and apparently research (or at least 2009 research) agrees with me. I agree it feels that way, but I think that has more to do with how media handles it than what is actually happening.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/he...well.html?_r=0

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 763
    Given: 3,058

Quote Originally Posted by JVAR View Post
    I think talking about it is smart, too. It not only has an important discussion with kids that helps educate them and teach them WHY they should wait and/or be careful (which to me ultimately does more good than a chastity ring, because it comes from a place of communication). It also fosters good communication with your kids, and lets them know that they can come to you if they need birth control, help, etc. It's impractical to think no kids are going to have sex, but we can help make it smarter by just talking to them.

M 7/09