Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

Re: BYU wants in the Big 12

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    I'm thinking something like losing out on the CFB BCS playoff because a team winning its conference championship game is picked over the Big12 conference champion, although both teams may have one loss, or are undefeated. This scenario is certainly possible, and could steer the Big12 towards expanding back to 12 teams and two divisions. I'm not counting on that happening, but I'm certainly not counting it out either.
    If you ever get into an argument with a SEC Ricky Bobby over whether or not their current scheduling format (8 games with CCG) or the B12's round-robin format is tougher, tell him to revert back to the original 10-team SEC and play a full 9-game round-robin schedule. Even a dip$hit Ricky Bobby would have to admit that 10-team round-robin SEC schedule would be a far more difficult schedule.

Last edited by cykadelic2; 07-03-2014 at 08:58 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    If you ever get into an argument with a SEC Ricky Bobby over whether or not their current scheduling format (8 games with CCG) or the B12's round-robin format is tougher, tell him to revert back to the original 10-team SEC and play a full 9-game round-robin schedule. Even a dip$hit Ricky Bobby would have to admit that 10-team round-robin SEC schedule would be a far more difficult schedule.
    I don't think its about a tougher schedule even though that sentiment is probably true. I think it may boil down to the CCG's being a defacto "first round" of the BCS championship tourney, along with the increased TV exposure a CCG brings to the other four conferences. A CCG keeps a conference "front and center" in people's minds for a longer period of time. The Big12 could lose out simply because the other power conferences are "fresher" in people's viewpoints, as the Big12's season would be ending before the CCGs are played. When it comes to the news cycle, people's memories are very short.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 960
    Given: 278

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    Reality is that he would leave ISU at the drop of a Big10 hat.
    Quite frankly KU should feel that way. Same with K-State. And hell, if ISU had the chance to join the Big 10 tomorrow and passed, I would be severely disappointed with our leadership. We can't ignore what happened in 2010 and 2011 that almost relegated us out of "big boy" status. I would not enjoy the drop in football quality, but it's not like we've been winning 10 games a year in the Big 12 anyway. Meanwhile the added money and complete stability would be a huge boon. If the Big Ten somehow wanted Iowa State, we absolutely should accept. That said, I'm reasonably confident that the Big 12 will hold up for as long as it needs to, which is really until the whole conference model is eliminated when the major schools leave the NCAA, but that could be a decade or two away.

Addict
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 960
    Given: 278

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If (and only if) they use computers ala BCS to determine the playoff participants, the SEC could end up with multiple bids every year.
    Which is why I said what I did... College football will never return to the days of computers making all the decisions. The committee format has worked well for NCAA basketball and I think will be successful for football, too.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 391
    Given: 808

Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    It seems to me that the teams that are available and that either make sense from a geographic standpoint, tv standpoint, recruiting standpoint, quality of athletic dept standpoint, or *gasp* academic standpoint are the following:

-BYU (TV mostly, quality of athletic department)
    -Cincinatti (academics, university size, and TV - not a huge fanbase, but a big city market, geographic partner for WVU)
    -UCONN (TV market, makes no sense geographically) (hope not, their fans are jerks)
    -USF (TV, recruiting, university size)
    -UCF (TV, recruiting, university size)
    -Tulane (similar reasons to Cincinatti, great academics (AAU member), new stadium this year, plus recruiting, proximity to existing Big 12 footprint)

I really don't want any more Texas schools, and I really don't care if we stay at 10 or add one or two as long as long as ISU is making $$$!

Edit: PS, I really don't see any of those happening anytime soon, unless the Big 12 is required to have a championship game and 12 members. In that case, BYU, Cincy, or Tulane would by my top three choices.
    Cincinnati*

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 62

When the time comes, UCF will be the choice. No Brainer.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 3

I don't think its about a tougher schedule even though that sentiment is probably true. I think it may boil down to the CCG's being a defacto "first round" of the BCS championship tourney, along with the increased TV exposure a CCG brings to the other four conferences. A CCG keeps a conference "front and center" in people's minds for a longer period of time. The Big12 could lose out simply because the other power conferences are "fresher" in people's viewpoints, as the Big12's season would be ending before the CCGs are played. When it comes to the news cycle, people's memories are very short.
    Unless something changes, the last week of the Big 12 regular season is conference championship weekend.

Starter
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 156

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    The Big 12 will not expand. Why add more schools to the power 5 conferences. Before it is all said and done there will be 4 conferences with about the same number of teams in each of them. Makes for a nice neat system to get to the playoffs.
    I think you are right on this. Eventually 4 super conferences with 16 each. Pac12, SEC, B1G and Big12. The Big12 stays small and strong for now, and then can be more easily combined with the ACC. There would be a few trades between all the conferences to help geography and even things out.

With a 16 team conference, you could play your 7 division opponents every year (can you say Big8?) and half the other division every year. And still have a non-con game vs whoever you like. Or two if they expand the schedule.

The playoffs, you have the division winners square off in conf champ games, then 4 conf champions in the "final four".

All that said, I think this is infinitely more probable (maybe even requires) the big FB conferences split from the NCAA. Then you'd have a small group of power brokers setting up the thing with enough juice to push schools around a bit.

The tricky part is there are like 65 power5 teams (counting ND), and this would make only space for 64. Not to mention all the others left on the outside- BYU, for example. I think ISU would be fine in this scenario.

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 511
    Given: 569

The Big XII plays its last week of the season on the same weekend that other conferences play their championship games.