Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 472
    Given: 577

Re: BYU wants in the Big 12

Quote Originally Posted by ljm4cy View Post
    I agree with you that it is the money. It is the responsibility of any potential expansion school to insure there is no dilution of revenue. However, if two schools brought forth a proposal that would increase the revenue of each and every current member, would you still be opposed to expansion? And, for clarity, I mean the profitability of each and every current member (since there might be additional costs, such as travel, because of the expansion.)
    I didn't say I was opposed to expansion. I said that I think the current members of the Big 12 would be opposed to it. And there are truly only a handful of schools that are going to increase the size of the conference payout pool by more than $25 million dollars. BYU is not one of them. Honestly I'd like the Big 12 and Big East to go away and have ISU and Kansas get added to the Big 10 but that's for another debate.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 532
    Given: 149

Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    I didn't say I was opposed to expansion. I said that I think the current members of the Big 12 would be opposed to it. And there are truly only a handful of schools that are going to increase the size of the conference payout pool by more than $25 million dollars. BYU is not one of them. Honestly I'd like the Big 12 and Big East to go away and have ISU and Kansas get added to the Big 10 but that's for another debate.
    I'd rather see Mizzou and Nebraska back in the current Big 12, as opposed to ISU and KU going Big 10.

I'd take a viable Big 12 over the Big 10 any day. That said, if the Big 12's viability ceased, the Big 10 would be my preferred conference, although I don't think they would look at ISU due to the way their revenue model works.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 531
    Given: 82

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Because it shows how attendance to a sporting event and a fan bases actual size/attractiveness do not correlate what so ever.
    If they averaged 100k for football, it would matter.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I'd rather see Mizzou and Nebraska back in the current Big 12, as opposed to ISU and KU going Big 10.

I'd take a viable Big 12 over the Big 10 any day. That said, if the Big 12's viability ceased, the Big 10 would be my preferred conference, although I don't think they would look at ISU due to the way their revenue model works.
    Some Jayhawkers, like little-mind twocoach here, have never quite got over Missouri leaving them in the rear view mirror. Thus they come up with these grand ideas that somehow the Big10 will call them, and Ku leadership will actually change their minds and kill the Big12 by leaving for the Big10. He includes ISU in the discussion only to favor his position here. Reality is that he would leave ISU at the drop of a Big10 hat. But in fact, unlike twocoach, it was Ku leadership, their AD at the time not his replacement, who adamantly opposed Kansas leaving the league. We should be grateful there are bigger thinkers in Lawrence than little boys like twocoach.

Last edited by surly; 06-23-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 135
    Given: 239

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    No, he's right. Nebraska has that attendance from winning at the conference and national levels, which brought a national brand name into the Big Ten. It wasn't just for Nebraska cable subscriptions, but on the idea that the Huskers brought a big ticket name to the table.

Nobody cares about in-person attendance in the realignment game.
    Wait - you seriously think that if Nebraska averaged 36,000 fans per home game that they would have been invited into the Big Ten? You're kidding, right?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,943
    Given: 2,354

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Wait - you seriously think that if Nebraska averaged 36,000 fans per home game that they would have been invited into the Big Ten? You're kidding, right?
    If they averaged 36k per home game, they would be a losing program that no one wanted to see on TV.
    Winning brings TV, which brings the money realignment was all about.

Winning brings attendance, but attendance does not fuel realignment.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 249

If NU averaged only 36,000 fans per home FB game, they would likely be a horrid FB program with no tradition, pedigree, or fan base. And these would be the reasons that NU wouldn't have been invited to the Big Ten.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    Some Jayhawkers, like little-mind twocoach here, have never quite got over Missouri leaving them in the rear view mirror. Thus they come up with these grand ideas that somehow the Big10 will call them, and Ku leadership will actually change their minds and kill the Big12 by leaving for the Big10. He includes ISU in the discussion only to favor his position here. Reality is that he would leave ISU at the drop of a Big10 hat. But in fact, unlike twocoach, it was Ku leadership, their AD at the time not his replacement, who adamantly opposed Kansas leaving the league. We should be grateful there are bigger thinkers in Lawrence than little boys like twocoach.
    As I said, it's what I'd LIKE to see, not what I think is going to happen. I don't think any realignment of any significant type is going to happen at all and I wasn't attempting to predict it. So let me word this more carefully for you so you don't need to try to fill in the gaps as poorly as you did. IF the current conference situation gets blown up and IF it appears that the Big 10, SEC, ACC and PAC 12 are going to be the four conferences left standing in a 16 teams/four conference situation, then I would LIKE IT if ISU and KU are the two teams that the Big 10 add. They would be great fits geographically, academically (both AAU members) and athletically. That's all. We all know you're a K-State fan and your POV on the topic is completely unbiased so take it as you will...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If they averaged 36,000 fans per game then it means that they WEREN'T a national recognized program with history and tradition with fans all over the country and the fact that they ARE that is what the Big 10 liked. They didn't vote them in just because of the "butts in seats" count. Butts in seats is just a byproduct of what the Big 10 liked.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 66

I find it somewhat laughable to expect any expansion school to bring in $25M right away. Within the conference there are only two schools, two schools, that bring in that level of revenue for the Big 12, and I think people can guess who they are. To hold expansion candidates to a standard that eighty percent of the conference cannot achieve is ludicrous IMO. The standards that expansion candidates should be evaluated on are athletic tradition in which attendance and revenue play a part, along with fair play and integrity; academic achievement including levels of research funding, and the integrity of the university as a whole. To hold a conference expansion candidate to an almost impossible standard is just unfair, and lacks for good sportsmanship.

Last edited by drednot57; 06-29-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    P.J. Farmer rocks!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,306
    Given: 263

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    I find it somewhat laughable to expect any expansion school to bring in $25M right away. Within the conference there are only two schools, two schools, that bring in that level of revenue for the Big 12, and I think people can guess who they are. To hold expansion candidates to a standard that eighty percent of the conference cannot achieve is ludicrous IMO. The standards that expansion candidates should be evaluated on are athletic tradition in which attendance and revenue play a part, along with fair play and integrity; academic achievement including levels of research funding, and the integrity of the university as a whole. To hold a conference expansion candidate to an almost impossible standard is just unfair, and lacks for good sportsmanship.
    But why does the Big 12 have to expand? There is no reason to expand. Not sure why people think expansion is necessary.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 532
    Given: 149

But why does the Big 12 have to expand? There is no reason to expand. Not sure why people think expansion is necessary.
    BECAUSE MESSAGE BOARD PEOPLE SAY WE NEED MOAR TEAMS.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Expansion is not necessary, purely voluntary. I'm not advocating for conference expansion, just pointing out the ridiculousness of expectations for potential expansion candidate universities if conference expansion were to occur. I see expansion happening only if the other four "Top Five" conferences expand. The way the "landscape" looks, I don't see any conference realignment anytime soon.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 237

They are assuming our strength of schedule will be weaker bc we dont play a title game. But what about those large conference teams that play noone during cobferencevplay? We play everyone. And still may get a title game if they approve it, which is a gold mine.

#BEATIOWA

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 669

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    Expansion is not necessary, purely voluntary. I'm not advocating for conference expansion, just pointing out the ridiculousness of expectations for potential expansion candidate universities if conference expansion were to occur. I see expansion happening only if the other four "Top Five" conferences expand. The way the "landscape" looks, I don't see any conference realignment anytime soon.
    Expansion is voluntary. That is why it is not happening.

Bottom line is that the Big 12 teams would make less money per team while not gaining much with expansion. That is why it will not happen. BYU has an inflated opinion of their program. PAC 12 did not even want them.