Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Wii on Wireless Internet with Mediacom?

OK, we seem to have lots of people here who are knowledgeable about Wiis and internet connections, so let me ask a question...

I just my got my Wii for Christmas (love it, by the way ), and I want to connect it to the internet. I use Mediacom for internet. I've tried using my wireless router that I've used with other service providers, but I can't get it to work. I get the impression from Mediacom's website that I have to pay an extra monthly fee to have a wireless network. Is this true?

My only internet-connected computer is a Mac, so I don't think I can use one of those Wi-Fi USB connectors. (My understanding is that those only work with a PC.)

And please, no suggestions about ditching my cable. I've seen all of those threads, and I probably will switch to a dish and DSL sometime this year, but not yet. I just want to know what I need to do right now to get my Wii connected! Anybody out there have their Wii connected to Mediacom internet?

Oh...and just because I was curious, I tried pirating bandwidth from one of my neighbors' wireless networks, but it was encrypted. I wouldn't have made that a long-term solution anyway.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 831

Re: Wii on Wireless Internet with Mediacom?

Do you have a wireless router? If you do, you should just be able to "detect" your network (the same way you did with your neighbors).

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And no, you don't have to pay extra for wireless if you own a wireless router.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Do you have a wireless router? If you do, you should just be able to "detect" your network (the same way you did with your neighbors).
    I do have a wireless router, but I can't get it to work with Mediacom the same way I've done it with other service providers in the past. That's why I'm asking if you need to pay an extra fee to have a wireless network on Mediacom. Thanks, though.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    And no, you don't have to pay extra for wireless if you own a wireless router.
    Oh...well then what am I doing wrong?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dustinal View Post
    I do have a wireless router, but I can't get it to work with Mediacom the same way I've done it with other service providers in the past. That's why I'm asking if you need to pay an extra fee to have a wireless network on Mediacom. Thanks, though.
    No, you dont need to pay extra. Call Mediacom customer tech support and they can walk you through it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Basically it goes like this:

Cable wall jack --co-ax cable--> mediacom cable modem --ethernet cord-->wireless router --ethernet cord-->desktop computer(if you have one)

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you are currently using the USB connection from Cable modem to your desktop it wont work. YOu have to use ethernet cables, that was my problem.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

EDIT:

Oh...well then what am I doing wrong?
    You don't have to pay a fee, but I had to set it up so that my Wii had the whatever number from the router to connect to it. You need the SSID, if it's encrypted, the encryption code, and things like that. I basically followed my router's set-up (for ID and numbers, password, etc.) and then the Wii internet set-up thingy.

I'm not tech savvy, so that may have been un-helpful. Sorry.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 100

I get the impression from Mediacom's website that I have to pay an extra monthly fee to have a wireless network. Is this true?
    Not true. I have Mediacom internet and a wireless network.

My only internet-connected computer is a Mac, so I don't think I can use one of those Wi-Fi USB connectors. (My understanding is that those only work with a PC.)
    I don't know much about Macs but I doubt this is true either. I'm sure someone here will have a better answer.

And please, no suggestions about ditching my cable. I've seen all of those threads, and I probably will switch to a dish and DSL sometime this year, but not yet.
    I believe all those posts are referring to cable TV, not internet. I have Dish Network for TV and Mediacom for internet. IMO, the best of both worlds.

So, to answer your main question: You just need your cable modem hooked to a wireless access point and then something like this hooked up to your Wii.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    So, to answer your main question: You just need your cable modem hooked to a wireless access point and then something like this hooked up to your Wii.
    Check that. I see Wiis have Wi-Fi built in. So, if you have a wireless access point or router, you just need to detect it with the Wii. As someone else already noted, you'll probably need to enter a SSID and possibly an encryption key if your network is encrypted.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

From what I understand, hes having a hard time going using the Mediacom cable modem and getting that set up with his wireless router. I had the same issue and you have to get your IP set up through your router instead of your desktop.

Also, using the USB connection wont work, you need to use the ethernet cords.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Okay, why don't you tell us exactly how you have your cable modem and router/access point hooked up?

Also, here's some info on getting the Wii connected once you get your network figured out: | Nintendo - Customer Service | Wii - Online Connection & Feature Support

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If I were you, I would just ignore your Wii for the time being. Your main issue is getting your wireless router set up. If you dont mind waiting on hold, Mediacom tech support can walk you through it - that's what I did.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Okay, why don't you tell us exactly how you have your cable modem and router/access point hooked up?

Also, here's some info on getting the Wii connected once you get your network figured out: | Nintendo - Customer Service | Wii - Online Connection & Feature Support
    Yeah, the problem is that I can't get my wireless router set up on Mediacom, so I guess that's my real question. I've been able to get the router to work with other service providers, just never with Mediacom.

I originally tried to set up the router last summer but could never get it to work, so I gave up. (We didn't really need the network at that time because the only time we'd use it is when we bring our laptops home from work, which we rarely do.) I haven't tried to set up the network again since I got the Wii, but I assumed it would give me the same problems as before.

Now that I think about it though, we were having issues with service outages during that time when we were trying to set up the router last summer, and we haven't had those issues in a long time. So maybe I'll just try setting up the router again...I'll have to wait until I get home tonight. Stupid work.

Last edited by dustinal; 12-27-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I have my wii set up with the wi-fi connection through medaicom no problems. I'm fairly sure it was just plug and play. Do you have anything else connected to the router? Are you sure the router is operational?

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.