Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU v. Iowa 12-19-1987 (the "Lafester" game)

I found the old videotape over Christmas and I just got done watching the first half. By the way, we are ahead 50-49.

A few observations:

-I knew the shorts were short but, mercy, they actually are on the border of being obscene!

-We were rated #20 in the AP and Iowa was #7 coming into the game. We were coming off a 115-73 blowout win over Creighton.

-When the Iowa players were announced it was 5 short claps for each followed by "over-rated"...no obscenities.

-When Gary Wade announced the starters for ISU he began with Jeff Grayer. It was so loud in Hilton that Grayer did not hear his name being announced the first time and Gary had to announce it a second time after the noise had subsided a little.

-Both teams were very adept at getting out on the break and getting a lot of 3 on 2 opportunities. You see precious few teams today that know how to do this.

-Both teams scored a lot of points on mid-range jumpers. Clearly, there was not a lot of offense being run for the expressed purpose of getting a three point shot off.

-Lafester's shot at the buzzer to end the first half was a huge lift for us...as he is holding the ball and the clock is melting away the crowd yelled "shoot" nearly in unison...he responded by draining the long three as time expired.

-The comment was made that if ISU won the game it would be their first 6 game winning streak in 25 years. For those of you that think Johnny Orr was just an average coach, you need to think about that for a minute.

I look forward to watching the second half...I think we have a great chance to win the game!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: ISU v. Iowa 12-19-1987 (the "Lafester" game)

You need to find a way to get that on a DVD. I would buy one from you. I would love to see that game again.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 269

We were lucky enough to get 4th row tickets behind Johnny for the entire semester break. We were lucky enough to have those seats for this game and the Kansas game with Danny Manning. As for the Iowa game, I really hated Jeff Moe back then. I wasn't a big fan of Roy Marble either...

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I was at the game in the balcony. It seemed like we stood almost the whole game. Probably one of the top three loudest games ever. It seemed like Lafester was the only one scoring for us. I think he had about 25 at the half. We were wondering if he could keep it up--obviously, he did. The game was pretty physical. For all those people who talk about what a gentleman Dr. Tom is, his teams were always the master of the subtle or not so subtle shove and chuck. Our guys going up for the rebound would end up practically out of bounds. Late in the game Lafester got a big rebound and was pulled down backward to the floor by Ed Horton. Lafester was called for travelling. Big 10 refs were blind to lots of borderline or not so borderline dirty play by Iowa. The Iowa coaches weren't gracious in defeat. One of the best wins ever.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just watched the second half. I was in the arena circle that night as well...not the very loudest I ever heard Hilton but darn close. I don't believe I have watched the video (my parents recorded it for me) since the very early 90s. It's interesting what you remember and things you have forgotten over time. For example:

-It was neat seeing Johnny using a piece of chalk to diagram plays right in front of our bench directly on the floor.

-I loved the anecdote that Mark Mathews (the play-by-play guy for CTN) told about running into Lafester earlier in the day and wishing him good luck later that night...Lafester's response was something to the effect of "I'm feeling it!" And that he was!

-This game was only the 4th home game of the year for ISU and the least they had scored at home was 99 points!

-The scuffle between Johnny and one of the Iowa assistants after he had finished shaking hands with Davis. It actually looked like Bruce Pearl (an Iowa assistant at the time) tried to break it up along with Dave Cox (an assistant AD at the time, a great friend to Johnny, and a great guy). Do any of you remember who the assistant was that Johnny scuffled with? What was it all about? My memory fails me.

-Jesse Jackson seeking out Lafester after the game to make sure he could steal some of the spotlight. I loved Lafester motioning to him to go back into the locker room but Jesse just stayed put...wanting to be out in front of everybody with the BMOC...not back in the locker room!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

[quote=cyclone#1;298273]
    -The scuffle between Johnny and one of the Iowa assistants after he had finished shaking hands with Davis. It actually looked like Bruce Pearl (an Iowa assistant at the time) tried to break it up along with Dave Cox (an assistant AD at the time, a great friend to Johnny, and a great guy). Do any of you remember who the assistant was that Johnny scuffled with? What was it all about? My memory fails me.[quote]

I think it was Gary Close. Old Johnny didn't back down from anyone.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 923

Quote Originally Posted by hort4cy View Post
    You need to find a way to get that on a DVD. I would buy one from you. I would love to see that game again.
    I would buy one from you also. That was one of the best games ever. Would be great to add to some of my other games I have on tape.

Are you a member?

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 787

I think it was Gary Close. Old Johnny didn't back down from anyone.[/quote]i don't remember the details... anyone have any input on this?

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 787

I think it was Gary Close. Old Johnny didn't back down from anyone.
    i don't remember the details... anyone have any input on this?

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 923

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    i don't remember the details... anyone have any input on this?

-keep
    It was Gary Close, but I don't remember why it happened. Orr and Davis shook hands, everything looked ok, then Close came by and LOOK OUT!!

Are you a member?

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Close said something that made Coach Orr just go off. I can't remember what he said though.

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 107

The AP photo of Johnny grabbing Close by the lapels is the greatest sports photo ever in the DesMoines Register.

It was Ric Wesley and Bruce Pearl who had to pull Johnny off the little worm. Close was still going off on Johnny after the game about the amount of time that should have been on the clock close to end of the game. Johnny's response was that the officials should have called a technical on Pearl and Close for being out of the coaching box when they were arguing at the scorer's table. Johnny told the DSM Rag "I don't care what it is, that's a technical foul". His voice rising (I love it) "That's the rule. That was the problem at the end".

That was a dinger, Coach.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 67

there use to be a company in Ames that produced dvds of ISU games. I have a couple. ISU beating Iowa at Iowa with SW at QB and the Lafester game. They are okay not great. The FB game in particular is just bothersome because the leave out huge chunks of the game and then have a 12 minute locker room love fest with Mac. I would much rather see the whole game.