Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 21,203, Level: 44
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyfan4good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    688
    Points
    21,203
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 41

    Modular Home Companies

    We're looking into putting a modular home on a rural acreage. We've looked at the model homes in Ames and Nevada. I'm looking for input on those or other companies to check with and any positive and or negative experiences buying a modular before we do much more looking.
    I'm not opposed to a site built home but am thinking I'll save time and money with a modular. Most of the budget is going towards the land so we'll have less to work with on the home cost.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 71,761, Level: 83
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,443
    Points
    71,761
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 272

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Modular homes are junk. I get that your budget is tight because of the land but if you plan on putting down roots I would strongly advise you stick build. Back off the square footage, don't finish the basement...there are ways to stretch cost. Also, don't let anyone sweet talk you into the new line "that modular homes are built better today than in the past". Complete lie.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 419,037, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    19,282
    Points
    419,037
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,070
    Given: 1,867

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Modular homes are junk. I get that your budget is tight because of the land but if you plan on putting down roots I would strongly advise you stick build. Back off the square footage, don't finish the basement...there are ways to stretch cost. Also, don't let anyone sweet talk you into the new line "that modular homes are built better today than in the past". Complete lie.

    And your qualifications for this statement are?

    I have an aunt and uncle who went modular and had zero problems, still living in it 20 years later, no major issues.





  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 913, Level: 7
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8
    Points
    913
    Level
    7
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    All American Homes, look them up there are several all around Iowa, I believe in Urbandale etc. I looked at them In Forest City a few years ago. Have really nice floor plans and do not have the feel of a "modular" home. very nice quality and fit and finish. Just do a search for builders in your area they will give you several choices.
    http://www.allamericanhomes.com/



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 419,037, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    19,282
    Points
    419,037
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,070
    Given: 1,867

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Quote Originally Posted by 2speedy1 View Post
    All American Homes, look them up there are several all around Iowa, I believe in Urbandale etc. I looked at them In Forest City a few years ago. Have really nice floor plans and do not have the feel of a "modular" home. very nice quality and fit and finish. Just do a search for builders in your area they will give you several choices.
    http://www.allamericanhomes.com/

    Also an Iowa company, their factory is in Dyersville.





  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 709,712, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    29,909
    Points
    709,712
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,101
    Given: 883

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Our first home was modular and it sucked big ol balls, everything in that house was nonstandard and stupid.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 71,761, Level: 83
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,443
    Points
    71,761
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 272

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    And your qualifications for this statement are?

    I have an aunt and uncle who went modular and had zero problems, still living in it 20 years later, no major issues.
    My qualifications are that I built a stick built house, did a lot of research on modulars before I built. And most importantly, I've been in multiple modular homes and every single one to a tee are junk. In-laws put a modular on their farm about 20 years ago and it is totally junk. Great farm, wonderful view and they are dumping money left and right in that modular home and you still can never hide the look of a modular. Cheap, obviously built in a big shed. Friend of mine went modular about 5 years ago, I tried to talk him out of it. Needless to say we've had conversations that he wished he'd listened to me. Just not a quality home and the price was very close to my quality stick built. By all means I've got no skin in this game concerning this guy...I'm really trying to make him dodge a serious bullet because I'm a fellow Cyclone fan.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 163,914, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13,472
    Points
    163,914
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,369
    Given: 5,363

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Modular homes are junk. I get that your budget is tight because of the land but if you plan on putting down roots I would strongly advise you stick build. Back off the square footage, don't finish the basement...there are ways to stretch cost. Also, don't let anyone sweet talk you into the new line "that modular homes are built better today than in the past". Complete lie.
    The main difference between a stick built house and modular is that a modular is built in a controlled environment (inside). They can be every bit as good (or better) than stick built homes.

    A lot of people confused modular and manufactured homes.


    #DropOutBernie

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 163,914, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13,472
    Points
    163,914
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,369
    Given: 5,363

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    My qualifications are that I built a stick built house, did a lot of research on modulars before I built. And most importantly, I've been in multiple modular homes and every single one to a tee are junk. In-laws put a modular on their farm about 20 years ago and it is totally junk. Great farm, wonderful view and they are dumping money left and right in that modular home and you still can never hide the look of a modular. Cheap, obviously built in a big shed. Friend of mine went modular about 5 years ago, I tried to talk him out of it. Needless to say we've had conversations that he wished he'd listened to me. Just not a quality home and the price was very close to my quality stick built. By all means I've got no skin in this game concerning this guy...I'm really trying to make him dodge a serious bullet because I'm a fellow Cyclone fan.
    Again depends on the house. But the bolded statement tells me that you didn't do enough research. There are plenty of modular homes that can be tough to tell the difference just by a looking at it.


    #DropOutBernie

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 163,914, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    13,472
    Points
    163,914
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,369
    Given: 5,363

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Just do a google image search for "modular home", and skip all the houses that look like trailers since those are all manufactured homes. A lot of really good looking homes.


    #DropOutBernie

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 176,619, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mtown
    Posts
    12,703
    Points
    176,619
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,566
    Given: 2,557

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    I've looked at several to build an investment duplex. Some great floor plans and exterior looks. I think some of you are mixing up modular and manufactured (mobile). Anyone saying this looks like trash doesn't know the subject matter.

    http://claytonhomes.com/info/mobileM...leModular.html


    2015 CF Avatar of the Year winner.

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,867, Level: 72
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 683
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,305
    Points
    54,867
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 557
    Given: 68

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    The main difference between a stick built house and modular is that a modular is built in a controlled environment (inside). They can be every bit as good (or better) than stick built homes.

    A lot of people confused modular and manufactured homes.
    <<This .....Some folks will elevate a 'manufactured' home and set it under a crawl space and/or a drive under garage. Essentially putting a lot of lipstick on a pig....that has a VIN number

    When they try to refinance their "mtg" from Greentree Financial >> into a conventional--the nightmare begins

    Modular much better, but I would go to a STICK BUILT. suck it up and don't get wrapped up in the factory tour of the modular company, and their salesman



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 419,037, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    19,282
    Points
    419,037
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,070
    Given: 1,867

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I've looked at several to build an investment duplex. Some great floor plans and exterior looks. I think some of you are mixing up modular and manufactured (mobile). Anyone saying this looks like trash doesn't know the subject matter.

    http://claytonhomes.com/info/mobileM...leModular.html

    So shopped.






  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,514, Level: 72
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    KnappShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    4,365
    Points
    54,514
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,990
    Given: 1,338

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    It does seem like there's a lot of confusion between modular and manufactured.

    Since there's confusion would that hurt the marketability when a person goes to sell the property?



  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,673, Level: 27
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    JoshTheCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fort Dodge
    Posts
    333
    Points
    8,673
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 214

    Re: Modular Home Companies

    Quote Originally Posted by 2speedy1 View Post
    All American Homes, look them up there are several all around Iowa, I believe in Urbandale etc. I looked at them In Forest City a few years ago. Have really nice floor plans and do not have the feel of a "modular" home. very nice quality and fit and finish. Just do a search for builders in your area they will give you several choices.
    http://www.allamericanhomes.com/
    I'm actually a dealer of All American Homes, feel free to pm me if you've got some questions. I'm in enemy territory (Iowa City) as my fathers having surgery at the hospital here tomorrow. Here until at least saturday morning so I may not reply quickly since I wont have my computer on me as I generally would at home.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM