Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 8,948, Level: 28
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    156
    Points
    8,948
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    I was at a graduation party over the weekend. I was talking to one of the kids at the party that is in his sophomore year of ME at ISU. He is thinking about switching to MIS. I tried to give him some information. I was MIS and had ME roommates but that was 20 years ago. I figured I would post out here to get him some more info.

    For you ME's out there, does the course work get easier after the first 2 years of pre-reqs and weedout classes? Any other general thougths on ME?


    For MIS, I had heard there was not as much programming anymore. Is that true? When I was in school, I had C++, COBOL, a database class, and an analysis class. What does the coursework look like now?


    Thanks



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 135,310, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCyclones2015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ames via Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,791
    Points
    135,310
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 166

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_ISU View Post
    I was at a graduation party over the weekend. I was talking to one of the kids at the party that is in his sophomore year of ME at ISU. He is thinking about switching to MIS. I tried to give him some information. I was MIS and had ME roommates but that was 20 years ago. I figured I would post out here to get him some more info.

    For you ME's out there, does the course work get easier after the first 2 years of pre-reqs and weedout classes? Any other general thougths on ME?


    For MIS, I had heard there was not as much programming anymore. Is that true? When I was in school, I had C++, COBOL, a database class, and an analysis class. What does the coursework look like now?


    Thanks
    I have 2 ME roommates and I am MIS. All gonna be seniors.

    They said this upcoming year will be the easiest year they've had. They also said the first 2 were definitely the "hardest" because they had no idea what they were doing.

    For me, I have no idea but I am taking 100% MIS classes next semester which is apparently becoming common because MIS is getting bigger as a degree each year and it pretty much requires Senior Status to get the classes you want.

    Programming wise you only are required to take 2 Java classes and you have a few MIS electives and some people like to fills those up with programming.

    Hope this helps.


    My teams: (as of 6/15/14)
    Cleveland Browns: 4-12 - .250
    Cleveland Indians: 34-35 - .493
    Cleveland Cavs: 33-49 - .402
    Iowa State Cyclones (FB): 3-9 - .250
    Iowa State Cyclones (BB): 28-8 - .778



  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,212, Level: 21
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    kevdiv48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    264
    Points
    5,212
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_ISU View Post
    For you ME's out there, does the course work get easier after the first 2 years of pre-reqs and weedout classes? Any other general thoughts on ME?
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post

    They said this upcoming year will be the easiest year they've had. They also said the first 2 were definitely the "hardest" because they had no idea what they were doing.
    In theory, this. For me, my 2nd, 4th and 5th semesters were my hardest. I have taken a couple semesters off for internships/co-ops, so my class schedule has been a bit wonky. Ended up that my schedule got a bit backloaded with the harder ME courses, so this coming school year, my 5th (and final), will have pretty loaded 17 and 14 credit semesters.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 169,300, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,656
    Points
    169,300
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,433

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post

    Programming wise you only are required to take 2 Java classes and you have a few MIS electives and some people like to fills those up with programming.

    Hope this helps.
    The java is nice but you better know .NET too. Don't they still do a c# class? That was required ~10 years ago for me and it's the most applicable thing you need in the job market right now.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,169, Level: 67
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,562
    Points
    48,169
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 1,683

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    I guess I would look at jobs in considering the two, not necessarily the ease of classes. My brother-in-law was MIS, got laid off after working at the same place for years, and has struggled ever since because he kind of got pigeon-holed on what he was doing and with changing technology. Have a nephew who is ME and seems to have no problem finding jobs. He has taken the step of trying to get his employer to move him into different areas just so all of his experience isn't in one little area, so that may be the true difference.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 181,931, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,059
    Points
    181,931
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 136

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    The java is nice but you better know .NET too. Don't they still do a c# class? That was required ~10 years ago for me and it's the most applicable thing you need in the job market right now.
    I disagree but it's always good to diversify.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 169,300, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,656
    Points
    169,300
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,433

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    I disagree but it's always good to diversify.
    Let me clarify. In central Iowa, .NET/C# is by far the most important language to know.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 21,590, Level: 44
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    515 via 712
    Posts
    973
    Points
    21,590
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    The java is nice but you better know .NET too. Don't they still do a c# class? That was required ~10 years ago for me and it's the most applicable thing you need in the job market right now.
    If you know Java C# is a piece of cake. I have 1 year left in Software Engineering, I don't think there's a C# class.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 42,804, Level: 63
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,165
    Points
    42,804
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 21

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    I disagree but it's always good to diversify.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Let me clarify. In central Iowa, .NET/C# is by far the most important language to know.
    There are far more java developer positions in the area than .Net, but companies have a much harder time filling the .Net positions, so I'd agree with the_architect

    (plus c# is a lot easier to code in)



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 169,300, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,656
    Points
    169,300
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,433

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    If you know Java C# is a piece of cake. I have 1 year left in Software Engineering, I don't think there's a C# class.
    Yeah Microsoft pretty much ripped off Java to create c#


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 76,103, Level: 85
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bigman38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    5,346
    Points
    76,103
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 503

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    been about 5 years but MIS was pretty open when I took it. You do a variety of classes(coding, database, tech, software development) and then your last year you could pick whatever you want to get deeper into.

    If you really didn't want to do coding I think you'd only end up with 2 introductory type java classes.


    "But let’s see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

    "I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 181,931, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,059
    Points
    181,931
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 136

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Let me clarify. In central Iowa, .NET/C# is by far the most important language to know.
    I don't want to take this too far off topic but that is a bold (pun intended) statement and I don't agree regardless of location. I guarantee if you know C/C++ and most likely Java you will be placed ahead of someone that only knows C# (.NET isn't a language) when going through applicants. If you're not, I wouldn't want to work there anyway.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 169,300, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,656
    Points
    169,300
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,433

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    I don't want to take this too far off topic but that is a bold (pun intended) statement and I don't agree regardless of location. I guarantee if you know C/C++ and most likely Java you will be placed ahead of someone that only knows C# (.NET isn't a language) when going through applicants. If you're not, I wouldn't want to work there anyway.
    I understand your point and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but I've seen the numbers for central Iowa.

    .Net developers are by far and away the most in demand, with java a distant second. c# being the most common flavor of .Net


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 181,931, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,059
    Points
    181,931
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 136

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    I understand your point and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but I've seen the numbers for central Iowa.

    .Net developers are by far and away the most in demand, with java a distant second. c# being the most common flavor of .Net
    One more statement and I'll drop it: most demand != most important



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 38,321, Level: 60
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 729
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU_phoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Andover, MN
    Posts
    1,887
    Points
    38,321
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

    Re: Mechanical Engineering and MIS Questions

    Not trying to be an jerk (or derail the thread), but if someone is trying to choose a major based on course workload, they are probably being short-sighted.

    Ability to get a good job that one can enjoy should really be the deciding factor.

    He's probably already taking that into consideration, but I've made enough short-sighted decisions in my own life not to just assume...


    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM