Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 123,844, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,363
    Points
    123,844
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,904
    Given: 3,553

    Seattle Vacation

    Going to Seattle in September. Never been there. Where in Seattle should I stay hotel-wise? Where should I avoid? Any recommendations on things to do? Will be there for 1 week.


    “It’s my dream job,” Fred Hoiberg said. “There’s something special about Iowa State basketball, especially when you grow up in this town.”

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 172,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    9,281
    Points
    172,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 737

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Love Seattle, how much you wanting to spend a night at a hotel?

    Piroshky Piroshky is some great street food located near the market.

    EMP Museum is a must: http://www.empmuseum.org/

    We really liked the Aquarium. I didn't think I would before going there, but it was really interesting.


    Last edited by Farnsworth; 05-16-2014 at 05:44 PM.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 172,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    9,281
    Points
    172,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 737

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Also go to Pie Bar. It's a little hole in the wall place (can't sit more than like 12). Great pies, great pot pies, and good drinks. Can't pass up Moonshine Moscow Mules.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 160,485, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    cmjh10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    11,100
    Points
    160,485
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,618
    Given: 6,182

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Go the fish market.


    ***Official Unofficial Spokesman of Cyclone Fanatic.***

  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 123,844, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,363
    Points
    123,844
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,904
    Given: 3,553

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    Love Seattle, how much you wanting to spend a night at a hotel?

    Piroshky Piroshky is some great street food located near the market.

    EMP Museum is a must: http://www.empmuseum.org/

    We really liked the Aquarium. I didn't think I would before going there, but it was really interesting.
    I seriously don't know jack squat about seattle right now. When you say by the market are you talking about Pike market?

    As far as hotel, probably want to keep it around $100 or lower a night...and of course I'd like to be close to where there are a lot of things to do...


    “It’s my dream job,” Fred Hoiberg said. “There’s something special about Iowa State basketball, especially when you grow up in this town.”

  6. #6
    Mariner Moose
    Points: 54,878, Level: 72
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    no2cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Posts
    3,416
    Points
    54,878
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 589

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    If you don't know the place or have never been there before, you have to do the Space Needle, just because it's the iconic "Seattle" thing to do. In that vein, the Pike Place Market is another iconic/touristy thing to do.

    Honestly, though, there are a lot of little hole-in-the-wall places to go and things to do in the city. Take in a Mariners game (they're actually not bad this year!) or visit Mt. Rainier to do some hiking. There are a bunch of things that you'd never guess that are actually a lot of fun.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 12,811, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    danrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    496
    Points
    12,811
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    I seriously don't know jack squat about seattle right now. When you say by the market are you talking about Pike market?

    As far as hotel, probably want to keep it around $100 or lower a night...and of course I'd like to be close to where there are a lot of things to do...
    I live in Seattle and September is a great time to visit, but if you want to actually be in Seattle, you won't get a room for under $100. You may be about 10-15 miles outside of the city, not sure if you down for that or not. On a budget, I would check out airbnb.com, you can usually find some nice spots there that are actually in the neighborhoods, which are a better representation of Seattle than the downtown area (good neighborhoods include Ballard - many breweries, Fremont - artists neighborhood, Capitol Hil - very hip/good restaurants and bars).

    Let me know if you have specific questions



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 123,844, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,363
    Points
    123,844
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,904
    Given: 3,553

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Should I look in the downtown area for a hotel? Just trying to get an idea of where I should stay that will keep me close to a lot of things. Hope to be within walking distance of a few cool places...


    “It’s my dream job,” Fred Hoiberg said. “There’s something special about Iowa State basketball, especially when you grow up in this town.”

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 321,386, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    CyArob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    17,889
    Points
    321,386
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,389
    Given: 2,926

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    The Boeing tour is awesome, although I probably got to see a lot more than the regular public tour.



    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 123,844, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,363
    Points
    123,844
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,904
    Given: 3,553

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by danrog View Post
    I live in Seattle and September is a great time to visit, but if you want to actually be in Seattle, you won't get a room for under $100. You may be about 10-15 miles outside of the city, not sure if you down for that or not. On a budget, I would check out airbnb.com, you can usually find some nice spots there that are actually in the neighborhoods, which are a better representation of Seattle than the downtown area (good neighborhoods include Ballard - many breweries, Fremont - artists neighborhood, Capitol Hil - very hip/good restaurants and bars).

    Let me know if you have specific questions
    Good to know. I suppose I could go over $100...but don't want to go crazy with price. So lets say I'm not really on a budget, but price conscious, where is a good location to stay at?


    “It’s my dream job,” Fred Hoiberg said. “There’s something special about Iowa State basketball, especially when you grow up in this town.”

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 12,811, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    danrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    496
    Points
    12,811
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    Should I look in the downtown area for a hotel? Just trying to get an idea of where I should stay that will keep me close to a lot of things. Hope to be within walking distance of a few cool places...
    Like I said - I highly doubt you get a hotel for $100 you feel comfortable in somewhere in downtown. But if you do want that, you can get to Pike Place Market, core shopping district, Seattle Center (EMP, Needle, pac science center) and the stadiums via walking from downtown. The M's and Seahawk's stadiums are right next to each other just south of downtown and are both awesome -clearly the Clink held rank this past year.



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 12,811, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    danrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    496
    Points
    12,811
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    Good to know. I suppose I could go over $100...but don't want to go crazy with price. So lets say I'm not really on a budget, but price conscious, where is a good location to stay at?
    How many people will you be with? Depending on that, I'd start looking at Airbnb or vrbo. It wouldn't surprise me to see the main hotel chains (Marriott/Hilton etc) at around 175+ that time of year. It really is the best time to visit - there will be no rain. I'd recommend trying to get out of the city for at least a day and do a hike in the Cascades (Mt. Rainier) or take a ferry to the peninsula or go up to San Juans (although for a day trip, Whidbey Island is great).



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 123,844, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,363
    Points
    123,844
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,904
    Given: 3,553

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Quote Originally Posted by danrog View Post
    How many people will you be with? Depending on that, I'd start looking at Airbnb or vrbo. It wouldn't surprise me to see the main hotel chains (Marriott/Hilton etc) at around 175+ that time of year. It really is the best time to visit - there will be no rain. I'd recommend trying to get out of the city for at least a day and do a hike in the Cascades (Mt. Rainier) or take a ferry to the peninsula or go up to San Juans (although for a day trip, Whidbey Island is great).
    Good stuff man, appreciate it. I checked out that airbnd site....not a bad idea at all to try to rent out a house. Right now we just have 2 going.


    “It’s my dream job,” Fred Hoiberg said. “There’s something special about Iowa State basketball, especially when you grow up in this town.”

  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 10,746, Level: 31
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    619
    Points
    10,746
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 12

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    Pike Place Market was pretty cool. I also did the space needle while I was there. If you can I'd try to get out of the city and go hiking one day, especially if you've never been to the pacific northwest. Very, very cool terrain. My siblings and parents ran a marathon up in Port Angeles and the olypic peninsula was incredibly scenic. I didn't get a chance to go up into olympic park but even from a distance the views were amazing.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 44,526, Level: 65
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,024
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    KnappShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,994
    Points
    44,526
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,016
    Given: 590

    Re: Seattle Vacation

    The 5 Points Bar is close to the Space Needle. Cold beer and a fun crowd.

    I couldn't find the Space Needle until I used the can. Check it out and you'll know why.

    The tour of the Seattle underground is interesting and the Metropolitan Grill was fantastic.

    I really enjoyed my time there



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM