Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 564

Re: Iowa State vs South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    What difference does the "name value" make? NONE. This isn't college football where one loss ruins your year. No one cares whether they dropped in the polls a few spots for losing a road game in a tough environment to a Top 15 ranked team in NOVEMBER. The only people that would give a team like Michigan State a hard time over losing to a team with less name recognition are Michigan fans on message boards. Do you think that Izzo cares about that? Especially since Michigan lost there last year.

Don't undersell your team. They have name recognition and national rep. That number next to theri name goes a long way with even the most casual observer and any televised showing of a game at Hilton would surely comment on the raucous atmosphere.

I don't need the manual; I think I've got it figured out just fine. Perhaps you need a different manual now that Hoiberg is putting ISU in the group of teams that matter nationally. It's tough for fans to change perspective when their team clears the hurdle from the "fighting to get respect" team to the "team that has respect" team. Now it's time to change tactics so that ISU can stay there.

Gotta get a few tough games on national tv; tough games so that you are closer to the top story on ESPN. Potential recruits want to see the coaches and teams they are considering getting more than just a blip mention on SportsCenter. It doesn't matter if you lose some of them. You'll win enough that kids see that ISU is big time.
    Coming from a fan of a team that never has to worry about such things.

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 415

Quote Originally Posted by Gtown25 View Post
    Other power conference teams don't want to come to Ames. Simple as that. Michigan ran away after their loss to us. The only team to beat us at home the past few seasons is Kansas.
    Kansas has had a ton of long home court winning streaks, yet still managed to book home/home series against Ohio State, Michigan State, San Diego State, Georgetown, USC, UCLA, Arizona, etc... try again.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 564

Kansas has had a ton of long home court winning streaks, yet still managed to book home/home series against Ohio State, Michigan State, San Diego State, Georgetown, USC, UCLA, Arizona, etc... try again.
    You don't get it. You are an idiot so it's understandable why. This is my last post in this god forsaken place until you are shown the door because the mods are equally as idiotic for letting you pollute the forum. Your sole purpose here is to put us lowly Cyclone fans in our place. You enforce the KU basketball image. Congrats.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 30

Twotroll/trollcoach is such a cocky SOB that is stupid and always gives dumb advice. By arguing with him, all anyone is doing is fueling his fire and will make him continue to troll. Let's just leave it at he's an idiot.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    You don't get it. You are an idiot so it's understandable why. This is my last post in this god forsaken place until you are shown the door because the mods are equally as idiotic for letting you pollute the forum. Your sole purpose here is to put us lowly Cyclone fans in our place. You enforce the KU basketball image. Congrats.
    That's hilarious. I seem to be the only person on here who thinks that Iowa State is worthy and capable of getting, and winning, non-con games against tough opponents. Have you not read anything I have posted? I want to see ISU captalize on their success and move to the next level. If you cannot get past the fact that I happen to cheer for Kansas and engage in a conversation about things that ISu might be able to do to move into the upper tier of programs then that's on you.

Far from trying to "put anyone in their place" I am trying to bounce ideas around for how ISU could move to a higher place. If there wasn't a KU player in my avatar and my user name had the letters "CY" somewhere in it, you'd probably agree with 99% of the things I posted on this thread. Again, that's on you to get past your assumptions and stereotypes, not me. It's an interesting topic on how teams can move up the ranks of great programs. If you can't handle it, so be it.,

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,154
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 218
    Given: 523

I am saying that ISU isn't trying to get these games; just trying to stoke the fires of ISU fans to be more demanding of such games. Don't be satisfied with cupcakes and a gaudy record. Teams have to be battle tested to prep for the tourney that matters.
    I think you meant "I am not saying that ISU isn't trying to get these games." Correct?

Also, ISU fans who understand tourney-prep and SOS and RPI do want to see more "bulk" to the schedule. Based on past couple of seasons, Hoiberg is moving toward more of that, where it's available but securing the highest-caliber games a program "wants" isn't like turning on a light switch.

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 536
    Given: 840

I think he meant to say that they don't want to schedule a home and home with a team that isn't a traditional power. I can't recall the last time Kansas offered someone a home and home and had it turned down.

Recruit
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

So back to the original topic, I actually like the game in New York. Clearly helpful for recruiting plus as it is after December 20th, will be good to get a few more games with McCay eligible. Seems like a winnable game against a power conference team in a big city with tons of big time recruits coming up so they can see the team. No complaints from me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,179
    Given: 1,808

I think twocoach's comments are ones that we'd all agree with if he weren't a KU fan.
    We should believe we could beat the top-tier teams, because we can. It's a shame we're not getting 1 or 2 of those games lined up.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 491
    Given: 813

I'm still thinking it's a mini tournament with 2 other teams than ISU and South Carolina, especially if ISU has another game it can add. Having this game in Brooklyn still doesn't make a ton of sense to me but oh well. Can ISU be in another competition with being in the CBE Classic in Kansas City next year?

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 68

You're not very bright if you can't see there is a difference between signing up for a likely loss @ KU vs @ ISU.

Most schools are ok with playing @KU because there is very little downside to a loss there because everyone knows that KU will be a top 20 ranked team at the end of the year plus everyone expects you to lose there.

Against ISU you'll still probably lose, but you have no idea where we'll be ranked at the end of the season, and many fans and pundits don't expect a team like Michigan, etc to lose at ISU even though the odds say they will.

Legend
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 491
    Given: 813

another problem is the Hoiberg to NBA specualtion. If he leaves in 2 years who knows where ISU would be at? It would affect if a team wants a home and home with ISU as ISU at Hilton is still a tough place to play at. I'm pretty sure that would cross the mind of an opponents coaching staff when scheduling ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I think twocoach's comments are ones that we'd all agree with if he weren't a KU fan.
    We should believe we could beat the top-tier teams, because we can. It's a shame we're not getting 1 or 2 of those games lined up.
    It's not that we don't want them. It's no different than how many of our fans don't want to play UNI, or KU doesn't want to play Wichita State.

Many people look at games like that as having no upside. If KU loses to WSU, what do they gain. WSU benefits form playing home/home against KU way more than KU does.

Blue bloods probably don't want to play in Hilton because they know they will likely lose. We should try like hell to find some 2nd tier programs that are similar in name value to us though.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 128

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    I'm still thinking it's a mini tournament with 2 other teams than ISU and South Carolina, especially if ISU has another game it can add. Having this game in Brooklyn still doesn't make a ton of sense to me but oh well. Can ISU be in another competition with being in the CBE Classic in Kansas City next year?
    Highly doubt its a mini tournament.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    You're not very bright if you can't see there is a difference between signing up for a likely loss @ KU vs @ ISU.

Most schools are ok with playing @KU because there is very little downside to a loss there because everyone knows that KU will be a top 20 ranked team at the end of the year plus everyone expects you to lose there.

Against ISU you'll still probably lose, but you have no idea where we'll be ranked at the end of the season, and many fans and pundits don't expect a team like Michigan, etc to lose at ISU even though the odds say they will.
    All you are doing is selling ISU short. Four years ago, I'd agree with you. But we are talking about right now, with Hoiberg and ISU rolling on an upward trend. This isn't like football where they book these games years in advance.

And it doesn't matter where specifically ISU finishes the season ranked so long as they make the tourney. Losing @ a #25 ranked ISU is no worse a loss than losing @ a #9 ranked ISU. They are a solid, ncaa caliber team that at this time seems like a lock to make the tourney for the next several years. A loss on their home floor doesn't look bad on anyone's resume.