Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 698
    Given: 564

Re: Convince me the SEZ is a Good Investment (Long & Numbery)

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Consistent losing would do it.
    So if we have 30% more fans in the region, 30% more alumni in the region, the stadium is ridiculously better than it was in the 80s/90s, we suck like the 80s/90s (impossible to be much worse)…somehow less people will come than in the 80s/90s?

I'm not saying a string of 0-2 win seasons would do wonders, but there's simply no way the darkest days aren't behind ISU football as long as we're in the Big 12. Few BCS teams have a dark era that dark. The fan base, alumni base and facilities are drastically better now that even a bad stretch won't be that bad.

Last edited by HFCS; 05-16-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 115

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    UI slowly becoming a niche university and ISU is becoming the flagship. Was just looking at some destination colleges for a high school in south-central Iowa. 4:1 were attending ISU compared to U of I.

Look at who wears the majority of hawk gear - old folks nearing death and trailer-trash. Look who wears the ISU gear - younger folks with kids.
    This.

Love it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    I don't know how to really gauge if this is good or bad, but many of my Tavern Hok fb friends (you know the type...never stepped foot in a classroom in Iowa City) (also, many UNI grads and UNI bball seems to be irrelevant again) were actually wearing Cyclone gear during the NCAA bball tourney. Hoiball is addictive and can even penetrate the thick skulls of Hoks I guess. I know come FB season I'll see their knuckle-dragging, mouth breathing posts as usual...calling for Captain Kirk's head in the first half of the game, then talking about no beer in Heaven....posting photos of themselves in their faded Tim Dwight jersey....you know the routine...as they go out of there way to call us Clowns creatively.
    If you're a local high school kid whose family has little or no fan allegiance, how are you not a Hoiball fan?

Rookie
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by kyle22kjs View Post
    Few reasons Hawk Fans have a reason to be jealous/nervous of where ISU programs are going.

1. Football Facilities are better than there's
    2. Paul Rhoads - Need I say more?
    3. SEZ - True BCS Stadium
    4. Increased Enrollment
    5. Tailgating Space
    6. As ISU fans we are better at managing our expectations (never to high/low)
    7. Fred Hoiberg
    8. Exciting Recruiting
    9. Big12>Big10
    (face to palm gif)

Hawkforlife9 ---"What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race."

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 164

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    To me, it seems like the stadium expansion is a want, not a need - Pollard is putting the cart before the horse. There is really only one way an increased stadium capacity is a need: if ISU continues to win. Recruits win games - if ISU has $60M available for football - build some badass practice facilities or something that will really help you get recruits to campus (2) - I don't think empty seats will get recruits to come to ISU (2).
    1. If you are going to criticize how Pollard spent a gift on a project that has been in the works for years... And then want to give your opinion of what it should be spent on, at least don't be dumb and suggest he spend it on something ISU already built. I think he also should have spent it on a badass basketball practice facility, a tunnel for the team onto JTS, a giant scoreboard in north endzone, and Johnny's in Hilton too...

2. If you think Iowa State is going to have trouble selling tickets to a 61K stadium, you are a complete moron and you are making a really dumb hawk fanbase look even dumber. Your dream of empty seats @ JTS will not come true outside of a -15 day in Dec against KU. We show up no matter what, Iowa State is THE show in town for central Iowans on Saturdays all throughout the fall, unless a pro football team comes to Des Moines (which it won't anytime in my lifetime) or NCAA football just isn't popular anymore (another thing that won't happen) then people will come tailgate and cheer on the Cyclones in JTS. And they'll do it in very large numbers. It's a really great fanbase (having been a part of both the big fanbases it this state in my lifetime, it really is something special and the furthest from fickle.) A lot of players at places all over the US say they have the best fans, but when guys like Naz Long, Georges Niang, Melvin Ejim, Jake Knott, AJ Klein, Jeremiah George say it about Cyclone Nation: they really do mean it because they know the fans are truly diehards. Our fans would travel to New Zealand to watch them play, let alone in their frontyard at environments like Hilton and Jack Trice.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,580
    Given: 1,346

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    So if we have 30% more fans in the region, 30% more alumni in the region, the stadium is ridiculously better than it was in the 80s/90s, we suck like the 80s/90s (impossible to be much worse)…somehow less people will come than in the 80s/90s?

I'm not saying a string of 0-2 win seasons would do wonders, but there's simply no way the darkest days aren't behind ISU football as long as we're in the Big 12. Few BCS teams have a dark era that dark, the fan base, alumni base and facilities are drastically better now that even a bad stretch won't be that bad.
    Sustained losing erases that # of fans. People don't go to watch losing teams.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,864
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 268

Good thing they only need to convince the BOR and no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 269

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    Jamie Pollard's job is to raise the level of football success in Ames - if he doesn't do that, he's doing a disservice to the university. In that context, I kind of understand where the SEZ expansion is coming from, but IMO, if he has $60M to invest in the football program, he's investing it in the wrong place, just based on the last 10 years worth of attendance data:

Year Attendance
    2013: 55,361
    2012: 55,274
    2011: 53,647
    2010: 45,395
    2009: 46,242
    2008: 47,429
    2007: 49,462
    2006: 46,171
    2005: 46,705
    2004: 44,822
    2003: 41,518

So that is a 10 year attendance average of 48,366 - that's 88% of the current stadium capacity & 79% of the projected eventual capacity of 61,000. Generally, the only sound reason to increase capacity is a clear need for more capacity - is there a clear need for more capacity?

2011-2013 had great ticket sales - but there is certainly a logical reason season ticket sales increased: back to back bowl games in 2011/2012 as well as unprecedented media exposure after the win over a top 5 Oklahoma State team in 2011 (Biggest win in program history, right? That's going to lead to a big spike in season tickets, especially at the current low cost). Has any ISU football related clip got played more times in the national sports media than that OSU game and the ensuing Rhoad's "I'm so proud" speech? That game alone sold a lot of tickets from 2011-2013.

Pollard is going forward with this expansion without even seeing how a few down years (which, historically, are going to happen at ISU) affect the attendance - I'll gladly wager that the attendance average will be below 55,000 in 2014 if the season goes as expected. It's easy to sell season tickets when you have a couple of bowl games and a win over a top five program in your recent past, it's much more difficult coming off no bowl game and a losing season. Winning sells tickets, nothing else will.

In addition to the challenge of fielding a bowl team most seasons to maintain sellouts, ISU also will have to contend with increased ticket prices, which will inevitably lead to lower attendance. ISU is taking $100 hillside season tickets away and replacing them with (what will likely be) $300-$500 season tickets. What are the odds that a family of four who spent $400 in 2014 for hillside season tickets is going to ante up and buy season tickets @ $1,200? Some will, but I am certain not all will, which will lead to a decrease in attendance. And I'm not even going to speculate how much the current season tickets are going to go up after the renovation is complete - but it would be naive to think the prices will remain static given a $60M investment in Jack Trice.

Add to the above that ISU's 2014 season likely ends up with a regular season record of 3-9 +/- a game - unless Mangino is an absolute miracle worker - and that will make it really difficult selling season tickets at an increased cost going into 2015. This spring is the first time I'm hearing casual ISU fans say "Rhoad's better win this year or else..." - and that's before a potential rough year in 2014.

To me, it seems like the stadium expansion is a want, not a need - Pollard is putting the cart before the horse. There is really only one way an increased stadium capacity is a need: if ISU continues to win. Recruits win games - if ISU has $60M available for football - build some badass practice facilities or something that will really help you get recruits to campus - I don't think empty seats will get recruits to come to ISU.

What has changed so much from 2010 (where attendance was 45K) that Pollard thinks selling 61,000 seats consistently (likely at a higher cost where you are pricing out the current hillside season ticket holders) won't be a problem at ISU? The attendance spike has been impressive for ISU, but if I'm making a $60M investment, I'm waiting to see if that fan support is at least somewhat constant in a down year before pulling the trigger on this renovation. It seems to me like this renovation has the possibility of making ISU football look less "big time" when the 10 year average remains a constant and the stadium is 21% empty.
    My first thought when seeing this thread... Why should we convince you? If you aren't a donor or a decision-maker, who gives a **** what you think? No one needs to convince you of anything because, ultimately, it makes absolutely and completely no difference at all what you think.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    UI slowly becoming a niche university and ISU is becoming the flagship. Was just looking at some destination colleges for a high school in south-central Iowa. 4:1 were attending ISU compared to U of I.

Look at who wears the majority of hawk gear - old folks nearing death and trailer-trash. Look who wears the ISU gear - younger folks with kids.
    I'm not sure where you are living, but in Eastern Iowa, this is certainly not the case. In Western Iowa, this is certainly not the case. The Des Moines metro is the only place where this is happening. The UofI is not a "niche" and if you truly believe that for some reason the UofI is going to just slip off into the distance and be a forgotten college some day, you are delusional. Say what you would like, but nationally, the University of Iowa is the college that comes to mind when people talk about the state of Iowa.

On the topic of the SEZ though...I believe that it is an absolute priority. To put Jack Trice in the same sentence as the other Big12 stadiums, something needs to happen and I think this expansion is a great move.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranRecommendation Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 28

Maybe Iowa should invest in some tarps since they couldn't sell a single game out last year in their best season in 4 years.....

@TedFlintKansas

Men want to have fun, women want to take fun out to the middle of the woods and shoot it in the head.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sustained losing erases that # of fans. People don't go to watch losing teams.
    Well let's just hope we don't have to find out. I think we're probably debating a slightly different definition of worst case scenario. Yours being something like 19k attendance, mine being something like 28k attendance.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 696
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 564
    Given: 272

Because many people who are much smarter than you decided that it was a good investment. Convinced?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,580
    Given: 1,346

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Well let's just hope we don't have to find out. I think we're probably debating a slightly different definition of worst case scenario. Yours being something like 19k attendance, mine being something like 28k attendance.
    I haven't put a # on anything. You're adding that to my comments.
    What I'm simply saying is that the place won't nearly be full if we sustain losing seasons again.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I haven't put a # on anything. You're adding that to my comments.
    What I'm simply saying is that the place won't nearly be full if we sustain losing seasons again.
    Hey my bad, my original argument was someone posted 1/3 empty and my mind converted it to 1/3 full…20k.

I probably wouldn't have made a big argument that losing will mean the stadium is 1/3 empty, 40k for consecutively bad teams seems entirely possible even with the growth of the university, facilities and alumni.

Last edited by HFCS; 05-16-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 37

I would say the SEZ is warranted given the fact that we've already had downer seasons with a packed JTS. Rhoads is kind of on the hot seat after this season and I've heard several ISU fans say they are partial to buying season tickets with losing seasons. This would temporarily keep the stadium filled in short term and could be a potential risk long-term, but guess what, that is business. This new plan would rejuvenate the fanbase and keep them coming back at renewal time.

Plus, this is a new recruiting pitch the coaches can use to lure recruits along with a Mangino ran offense. It's about creating hype and Pollard keeps getting it done.

I'm not sure why a hawk fan is concerned with how ISU is using their dollars when you do not donate a single dime and you have more problems to worry about with your own school. How about keeping your own fan base entertained in bball, because I even saw a hawk fan promote buying a cyclone shirt on fb. It's only a matter of time before Fred's dreaminess lures you in too.

Hawkforlife9 ---"What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race."