Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Convince me the SEZ is a Good Investment (Long & Numbery)

Jamie Pollard's job is to raise the level of football success in Ames - if he doesn't do that, he's doing a disservice to the university. In that context, I kind of understand where the SEZ expansion is coming from, but IMO, if he has $60M to invest in the football program, he's investing it in the wrong place, just based on the last 10 years worth of attendance data:

Year Attendance
    2013: 55,361
    2012: 55,274
    2011: 53,647
    2010: 45,395
    2009: 46,242
    2008: 47,429
    2007: 49,462
    2006: 46,171
    2005: 46,705
    2004: 44,822
    2003: 41,518

So that is a 10 year attendance average of 48,366 - that's 88% of the current stadium capacity & 79% of the projected eventual capacity of 61,000. Generally, the only sound reason to increase capacity is a clear need for more capacity - is there a clear need for more capacity?

2011-2013 had great ticket sales - but there is certainly a logical reason season ticket sales increased: back to back bowl games in 2011/2012 as well as unprecedented media exposure after the win over a top 5 Oklahoma State team in 2011 (Biggest win in program history, right? That's going to lead to a big spike in season tickets, especially at the current low cost). Has any ISU football related clip got played more times in the national sports media than that OSU game and the ensuing Rhoad's "I'm so proud" speech? That game alone sold a lot of tickets from 2011-2013.

Pollard is going forward with this expansion without even seeing how a few down years (which, historically, are going to happen at ISU) affect the attendance - I'll gladly wager that the attendance average will be below 55,000 in 2014 if the season goes as expected. It's easy to sell season tickets when you have a couple of bowl games and a win over a top five program in your recent past, it's much more difficult coming off no bowl game and a losing season. Winning sells tickets, nothing else will.

In addition to the challenge of fielding a bowl team most seasons to maintain sellouts, ISU also will have to contend with increased ticket prices, which will inevitably lead to lower attendance. ISU is taking $100 hillside season tickets away and replacing them with (what will likely be) $300-$500 season tickets. What are the odds that a family of four who spent $400 in 2014 for hillside season tickets is going to ante up and buy season tickets @ $1,200? Some will, but I am certain not all will, which will lead to a decrease in attendance. And I'm not even going to speculate how much the current season tickets are going to go up after the renovation is complete - but it would be naive to think the prices will remain static given a $60M investment in Jack Trice.

Add to the above that ISU's 2014 season likely ends up with a regular season record of 3-9 +/- a game - unless Mangino is an absolute miracle worker - and that will make it really difficult selling season tickets at an increased cost going into 2015. This spring is the first time I'm hearing casual ISU fans say "Rhoad's better win this year or else..." - and that's before a potential rough year in 2014.

To me, it seems like the stadium expansion is a want, not a need - Pollard is putting the cart before the horse. There is really only one way an increased stadium capacity is a need: if ISU continues to win. Recruits win games - if ISU has $60M available for football - build some badass practice facilities or something that will really help you get recruits to campus - I don't think empty seats will get recruits to come to ISU.

What has changed so much from 2010 (where attendance was 45K) that Pollard thinks selling 61,000 seats consistently (likely at a higher cost where you are pricing out the current hillside season ticket holders) won't be a problem at ISU? The attendance spike has been impressive for ISU, but if I'm making a $60M investment, I'm waiting to see if that fan support is at least somewhat constant in a down year before pulling the trigger on this renovation. It seems to me like this renovation has the possibility of making ISU football look less "big time" when the 10 year average remains a constant and the stadium is 21% empty.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Re: Convince me the SEZ is a Good Investment (Long & Numbery)

I should also note, Al_4_State and I had a discussion about this on another message board – he claimed that the recent surge in alumni in the Des Moines area are what will support this expansion, which makes no sense to me at all – in 15 or 20 years, maybe that’s a valid point, but wealthy alumnus are the ones buying season tickets, not college kids with debt (or at least I couldn’t afford them when I left college), so I’m not sure that makes sense.

If you’re trying to capitalize on that, wait for 10 or 20 years when that demographic is in a good position financially to spend money on the season tickets.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 344

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    Jamie Pollard's job is to raise the level of football success in Ames - if he doesn't do that, he's doing a disservice to the university. In that context, I kind of understand where the SEZ expansion is coming from, but IMO, if he has $60M to invest in the football program, he's investing it in the wrong place, just based on the last 10 years worth of attendance data:

Year Attendance
    2013: 55,361
    2012: 55,274
    2011: 53,647
    2010: 45,395
    2009: 46,242
    2008: 47,429
    2007: 49,462
    2006: 46,171
    2005: 46,705
    2004: 44,822
    2003: 41,518

So that is a 10 year attendance average of 48,366 - that's 88% of the current stadium capacity & 79% of the projected eventual capacity of 61,000. Generally, the only sound reason to increase capacity is a clear need for more capacity - is there a clear need for more capacity?

2011-2013 had great ticket sales - but there is certainly a logical reason season ticket sales increased: back to back bowl games in 2011/2012 as well as unprecedented media exposure after the win over a top 5 Oklahoma State team in 2011 (Biggest win in program history, right? That's going to lead to a big spike in season tickets, especially at the current low cost). Has any ISU football related clip got played more times in the national sports media than that OSU game and the ensuing Rhoad's "I'm so proud" speech? That game alone sold a lot of tickets from 2011-2013.

Pollard is going forward with this expansion without even seeing how a few down years (which, historically, are going to happen at ISU) affect the attendance - I'll gladly wager that the attendance average will be below 55,000 in 2014 if the season goes as expected. It's easy to sell season tickets when you have a couple of bowl games and a win over a top five program in your recent past, it's much more difficult coming off no bowl game and a losing season. Winning sells tickets, nothing else will.

In addition to the challenge of fielding a bowl team most seasons to maintain sellouts, ISU also will have to contend with increased ticket prices, which will inevitably lead to lower attendance. ISU is taking $100 hillside season tickets away and replacing them with (what will likely be) $300-$500 season tickets. What are the odds that a family of four who spent $400 in 2014 for hillside season tickets is going to ante up and buy season tickets @ $1,200? Some will, but I am certain not all will, which will lead to a decrease in attendance. And I'm not even going to speculate how much the current season tickets are going to go up after the renovation is complete - but it would be naive to think the prices will remain static given a $60M investment in Jack Trice.

Add to the above that ISU's 2014 season likely ends up with a regular season record of 3-9 +/- a game - unless Mangino is an absolute miracle worker - and that will make it really difficult selling season tickets at an increased cost going into 2015. This spring is the first time I'm hearing casual ISU fans say "Rhoad's better win this year or else..." - and that's before a potential rough year in 2014.

To me, it seems like the stadium expansion is a want, not a need - Pollard is putting the cart before the horse. There is really only one way an increased stadium capacity is a need: if ISU continues to win. Recruits win games - if ISU has $60M available for football - build some badass practice facilities or something that will really help you get recruits to campus - I don't think empty seats will get recruits to come to ISU.

What has changed so much from 2010 (where attendance was 45K) that Pollard thinks selling 61,000 seats consistently (likely at a higher cost where you are pricing out the current hillside season ticket holders) won't be a problem at ISU? The attendance spike has been impressive for ISU, but if I'm making a $60M investment, I'm waiting to see if that fan support is at least somewhat constant in a down year before pulling the trigger on this renovation. It seems to me like this renovation has the possibility of making ISU football look less "big time" when the 10 year average remains a constant and the stadium is 21% empty.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

You're a Hawk fan. I could give you every reason in the world why this is a good thing for ISU, but at the end of the conversation nothing will convince you this is a good thing BECAUSE it's a good thing for ISU.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 15

I track manufacturing capacities as a part of my job. If you simply look at a ten year average you are doing it very wrong. I understand that this isn't exactly the same, but you are still wrong in your logic. Go plot those ten years and also a trend line on them and let me know what you think.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 122

Fortunately, we don't have to convince you. Worry about how the UofI is spending their money.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 262

You're a Hawk fan so I don't know why I'm bothering to respond but I will.

It's important for more reasons than money. Will it be filled to capacity every week? Probably not, at least yet. The stadium in its current configuration just isn't legit enough for a BCS school. Plain and simple. You can't have recruits walking in and seeing the amazing practice facility and possibly the best weight facility in the country only to be disappointed by the stadium. That won't happen anymore.

There are a multitude of other non-financial reasons but these are what pop out to me.

I have a question for you: Why do you even care? I don't give a rat's *** what the Hawks do.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

You don't build stadiums for just enough seats for most games. You build stadiums to the reasonable max capacity. The early season games will have attendance in excess of 60,000 every year. The games with iffy weather at the end of the year are going to probably increase in attendance because there aren't as many hillside tickets. A real seat in the stadium > a hillside ticket.

There will still be hillside seats as well, and I'd bet every season ticket holder currently will have options on season tickets going forward with the same budget. The current endzone seats will probably be shifted such that the cheapest seats are in the upper corners. $175 or whatever the endzone tickets may get you a corner seat instead of a 3rd row seat.

Bottom line is hillsides are cut down and actual seats are going in. That alone is a win for Iowa State.

Is 56,800 sold out seats at an average of $100 per ticket better than 58,000 sold tickets with 3,000 empty seats at the same $100? Even if the ticket price falls to a revenue break-even point with the 56,800 you're still better off. More people buying concessions, merchandise, and more chances to pick up a future season ticket holder.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 552

First, I don't think using the last 10 year average is as applicable to using say the last 3 years. This program is nowhere NEAR where it was 10 years ago.

Second, there was a damn large donation especially earmarked for this project.

& lastly, the increased capacity is just a small part of this expansion. It will be a gateway to the university. I guarantee the stadium being bowled in with more of a big time feel will have a positive impact on recruiting.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 670
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 133

No, I will not

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 280

OP is full of illogical assumptions and general idiocy.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,574
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 103

Why would a ten year average be the relevant statistic? Look at the trendline. The last three years ISU has been well over capacity in attendance, which, even if you completely discount the recruiting and income potential of the build, shows that there are enough fans to fill these seats already.

Really, the only question about the expansion is price point management--finding the mix of packages that maximizes revenue potential.

Faster than a stallion. Meaner than a hungry hound.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 43

First of all, you need to understand that the South End Zone being expanded has been talked about for a long, long time. In fact, former Athletic Director Gene Smith laid out the case for expansion about 15 years ago. And that was when Iowa State was only drawing 40,000 plus per game.

Right now Iowa State is consistently selling out the stadium at over 100% of the capacity. So there is demand for seats. In most seasons Iowa State will easily sell out the 61,000 seats or come very close to it for about half the games on the ISU schedule. That increases revenue. Increased revenue is good for ISU.

Secondly, bowling in the endzone and adding another big video scoreboard will enhance the already great ISU football gameday experience. Plus it will cut down the wind tunnel effects of the open south end now. So it will be great for fans.

Improving the facilities and the stadium has a positive effect on recruiting. There is a lot of excitement amongst recruits about the improvements being made at Iowa State. Iowa State will have the 3rd largest stadium in the Big 12. And the Cyclone fans will fill it. There will still be cheap seats on the North Hillsides. And I expect there will be season tickets in the $175 range in the wedge areas of the expansion on the south. Look at what season tickets cost other places.

The Reiman Family has given a $25 million donation to get this project started. That is almost half of the projected costs of the End Zone Expansion.

The excitement of the expansion will help drive ticket sales for the coming year or two. Plus the expected improvement in the team will help also. Waiting would be a foolish thing to do. The time is ripe for expansion of the base right now. The ISU basketball team is enjoying great success. And the football team is poised for future success as well.

The thinking that ISU needs to maintain the hillsides and not expand is the type of thinking that will doom Iowa State and bring back the days of Hot Tubs in the end zones.

You need to worry about Hawkeye basketball and the collapse they had. Carver Hawkeye will only be able to filled with the 4 tickets, 4 Cokes, 4 Hotdogs for $20 special.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 46

First, convince me that you are not a *********

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 22

Why does Iowa invest in a spitting lunatic that recruits midlevel gingers?

Last edited by MaccloNe; 05-16-2014 at 11:30 AM.